December Exceptional Story: The Icarian Cup

[color=#0066ff]Exceptional Story for December: The Icarian Cup[/color]

[color=#0066ff]
[/color]

[color=#0066ff]The Icarian Cup returns to London! A daring boatrace around the Southern Archipelago, the prize a magnificent trophy (and a bounty of sapphires)! Pay no mind to the talk about the race being ‘cursed’ and ‘ships disappearing’ or ‘the race was closed in 1868 after too many captains disappeared’. All that matters is that the Icarian Cup is back and in need of captains brave enough to run the race![/color][font=facitweb-1, facitweb-2, &quotLucida Sans Unicode&quot, &quotLucida Grande&quot, sans-serif][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]

Written by Harry Tuffs[/color][/font][font=facitweb-1, facitweb-2, &quotLucida Sans Unicode&quot, &quotLucida Grande&quot, sans-serif][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]
Art by Tobias Cook
Editing and QA: James Chew

EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP

In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:

[/color][/font][ul][li][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private member’s club on the Stolen River, packed with content[/color][/li][/ul][ul][li][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]Access to Mr Chimes’ Lost & Found, a shop in the Bazaar where you can exchange currency earned through playing Exceptional Stories for exclusive companions and items[/color][/li][/ul][ul][li][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six![/color][/li][/ul][ul][li][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once![/color][/li][/ul][color=rgb(0, 102, 255)]
You no longer need to log in to claim your Exceptional Stories! If you have an active subscription when one is available, you’ll receive it automatically.[/color]

PIRATE POET PIRATE POET PIRATE POET

I’m only a wee ways in so far, and thoroughly enjoying myself, but I had to stop and holler about my favourite clay friend making an appearance!

Working my way through the introduction and I’ve found a bug. I should have all of the &quotins&quot for the admiral available to me, but the one requiring (any level of) the An Experienced Zailor quality is locked, even though I have that property on the highest tier, A Zee-Voyager of Note.

Came here to ask the same thing. I was confused why I couldn’t choose that branch of the story, since I have that quality, and have had it for sometime.

I’m also excited about the Pirate Poet making an appearance! I’m sorry that my absolute favorite companion, Capt. Amelia Whitlock, isn’t involved, though.

There’s tie ins to at least 2 other ES’s in this one. Also a use for your Hellish Hymn too.

Well, that was a rip-roaring adventure! It felt very videogame-y to me - the zailing zegments were just like playing Sunless Sea, while the later segments were a pitch-perfect riff on any number of stealth games I’ve played over the years.

I enjoyed the story. Nice to hear more about what the Dawn Machine is planning. I was very surprised just how much text there was specifically for a Yacht, especially since it has to be the same for a Zubmarine. Nice to see that Zee qualities and items are still relevant even as the rail stations make zailing less useful for end game players.

Does anyone have the echo for “winning”?

Well it’s a big action-heavy but I enjoyed hanging out with both captains and it’s nice to just go full-on Sunless Seas for a while. Of course the REAL win for me was getting Dawnburnt AGAIN (Dawn Medium Rare?) and doing something that will apparently GUARANTEE the supremacy of the Dawn Machine.

Dawnburnt Hesperidean Cider soon?

I won and this is what I got: Fallen London

This ES was the most fun ES I’ve played in a long while. I thought it had a good balance of investigation and action. I was impressed at how much it felt as though it was made for my character–even though I know that was hardly the case.

This is one of the best stories I’ve played in a year. Love the Zeefarer character.

That one was pretty neat! A lot of fun.

Was there a way to get the second boot back from the fathomking? I got all the sapphires, but never got an option to buy back the paired boot. The zeefarer threw her other boot back to sea, which was a shame, since I’d been trying to make her win so that she could get the sapphires to get her matched boot back.

I really loved this story…it was probably the best since I came back to playing the game last January. So fun to see all the sights from SS, and the choices were excellent.

I ended up not taking the option to support the New Sequence, though I really wanted to see it. But Myrto supports the Liberation of Night, so I rescued the Seafarer.

Great read, definitely!

[quote=Amalgamate]That one was pretty neat! A lot of fun.

Was there a way to get the second boot back from the fathomking? I got all the sapphires, but never got an option to buy back the paired boot. The zeefarer threw her other boot back to sea, which was a shame, since I’d been trying to make her win so that she could get the sapphires to get her matched boot back.[/quote]

I think that you have to make the other zailor become the mantelpiece, and then abandon him. The Zeefarer will take the sapphires, but will refuse the cup because she knows that something is off.

[quote=Amalgamate]
Was there a way to get the second boot back from the fathomking? I got all the sapphires, but never got an option to buy back the paired boot. The zeefarer threw her other boot back to sea, which was a shame, since I’d been trying to make her win so that she could get the sapphires to get her matched boot back.[/quote]
She got the second boot back in my scenario. I:

won the trust of both captains;
collaborated with the Excursionist;
won;
left his vessel in a rowboat;
then the Zeefarer saved me;
and together with her, we saved the Excursionist.
In the end, the Excursionist won, but I got the cup, and the Zeefarer got all the fame (and her second boot). London thought she won.

Has anyone actually chosen the Dawn Machine ending? Because I (obviously) didn’t, but man am I curious.
edited by Aronia on 11/28/2020

Hattington, the Dawnburnt Vake Rider, apparently did.

Would be great if he could tell us what happened after.

Loved the story. Wish I hadn’t screwed up at the very end of the race, but at least I was able to rescue her.

Really enjoyed the writing in this one, and the Dawnburnt ending was an unexpected plus!