Curiosities of the Neath...

It’s fairly well-established where such unique subterranean delights as Prisoner’s Honey and mushroom-wine come from, and Glim is assumed to be either crystal formations or insect chitin that falls from the cavernous roof. Deep Amber, well, a-hem. And Nevercold Brass, one assumes, is simply imported by the Embassy. But certain other commodities are less clear. Is Rostygold an alloy, or something stranger? Have the origins of the Moon-Pearls so dear to Mrs. Plenty been established? Or what about secrets – who is it that actually writes these things down, buys them, or verifies their truthfulness? None of the Masters seem to claim the secret-trade in their domain, oddly enough.

I still have quite a bit of ground to cover in Fallen London, so it’s entirely possible that some of these questions may have been answered somewhere. But hey, nobody’s perfect.

Mr. Pages is in charge of secrets. The rest will likely be the subject of future storylines.

Mr Stones is on record as saying: “Yes. Red gold not strictly gold. Rostygold. Gold substitute. No, price will not change.”

Also: “No, gold does not rust in Neath. THIS IS LIE. Disregard. Rostygold valid medium of exchange. Enough.”

In response to rostygold being described as “legitimate (albeit red) gold” it replied: “Legitimate, tricky. Gold, uncertain. Chemists, lawyers, scoundrels together. Your offer welcome.”

I’m aware this may be rather unhelpful, but do feel free to ask the Master to clarify further.
edited by Asclepius Unbound on 12/20/2011

How interesting. I have newfound respect for it.

Mr Stones is on record as saying: “Yes. Red gold not strictly gold. Rostygold. Gold substitute. No, price will not change.”

Also: “No, gold does not rust in Neath. THIS IS LIE. Disregard. Rostygold valid medium of exchange. Enough.”

In response to rostygold being described as “legitimate (albeit red) gold” it replied: “Legitimate, tricky. Gold, uncertain. Chemists, lawyers, scoundrels together. Your offer welcome.”

I’m aware this may be rather unhelpful, but do feel free to ask the Master to clarify further.[/quote]

I suspect that the Masters find helpfulness a moral failing, so I doubt I’ll bother. Thank you for the information, though.

I’ve noticed that Rostygold is often payment for killing stuff. Blood money, in a manner of speaking, and perhaps literally. I believe blood is used in its creation.

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]The Tiger Keeper would agree with you, even if he finds the quantity insufficient.[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]

Also, back when Knife-and-Candle was still a thing, [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]there was an item that let you turn the blood of your victims into rostygold. Small quantities, but still.[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]. So there’s that.[/color][/color]

I’m most interested in finding out what Moon Pearls are exactly, and how can they tell the phase of the moon.

It seems that at least one source of Moon-pearls is the [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]oysters of the Sea of Voices[/color]. Make of that what you will.