Crime or Punishment no more 3rd option?

No more affair of the box option. What gives? (in case you’re wondering my box quality is not at max which is usually the culprit)

Affair of the box options were to be removed from cards as part of the changes to how card hand memory works now. I believe the reasoning was that those options allow you to discard cards that you couldn’t otherwise without being menaced and that doesn’t work with the new game balancing system that is being implemented. This is sort of a paraphrased half memory, but I do remember it was discussed here on the forums somewhere that those options were being phased out.

Sigh, really disappointed with this change. Advanced characters should still be given the option to play both sides. Felt like the game regressed in terms of faction roleplay. I always imagine my character as a player in both the criminal underworld and law enforcement, now I’m forced to sacrifice one card slot to maintain this roleplay. What a downer.

Just keep your favours Criminal below 5 and the card won’t appear. I lost a lot of Connected Constables before I figured this out. Think of Favours as things you cash in while Reputation is a measure of how involved you are with a Faction.

You can still play both sides – but now you’re (properly) a Turncoat if you do so; and you can’t simply fence-sit, you’re forced to make decisions that help one side or the other. So if you want to play a character who has an easy time being chummy with criminals and the law, never having to make a hard choice as a result of your entanglements, then yes – that’s improbable enough that you have to sacrifice a card slot.

Worth noting that mechanically, Favours will be replacing all connections and aren’t really meant to be held onto – Renown is the permanent “faction roleplay” quality, so if you try to maintain high levels of Favours with multiple factions that don’t get along, you’ll end up needing a lot more card slots. Build your renown instead if you want to roleplay being a significant underworld figure, and Favours can come and go.

[quote=metasynthie]You can still play both sides – but now you’re (properly) a Turncoat if you do so; and you can’t simply fence-sit, you’re forced to make decisions that help one side or the other. So if you want to play a character who has an easy time being chummy with criminals and the law, never having to make a hard choice as a result of your entanglements, then yes – that’s improbable enough that you have to sacrifice a card slot.

Worth noting that mechanically, Favours will be replacing all connections and aren’t really meant to be held onto – Renown is the permanent &quotfaction roleplay&quot quality, so if you try to maintain high levels of Favours with multiple factions that don’t get along, you’ll end up needing a lot more card slots. Build your renown instead if you want to roleplay being a significant underworld figure, and Favours can come and go.[/quote]

Huh? Ok, didn’t even know there is a thing called Renown now. The thing is Constables is still using connected now so I guess I’m forced to throw away my Favor: criminals. I still think the third options should be kept for those who have completed the affair of the box though but maybe with some costs attached to the option now.

Don’t worry – Favours are designed to be “thrown away” – or cashed in, rather, because on that card you get 20 echoes worth of stuff and a drop in suspicion for all your Criminal Favours (which if you’re careful, might be only 5, so it’s a pretty good return). This is part of why you can’t have more than 7 Favours; you’re meant to build them up then cash them out. And yes – if you want to reduce your Favours below 5 so that you never get into this conflict, you can, for instance, convert them into Renown via a Connected Item (Old Bone Skeleton Key) or spend them on an expedition, on raising Shadowy, or for other monetary-style rewards on cards.

I do think it would make sense to add a simply harmful option (for example, gaining a several CP of suspicion in this case) for indecisive players who want to be rid of the card and keep their favours.
It would never be the “right” choice, but neither is Seeking, and people still do that.

[quote=randomperson ][quote=metasynthie]You can still play both sides – but now you’re (properly) a Turncoat if you do so; and you can’t simply fence-sit, you’re forced to make decisions that help one side or the other. So if you want to play a character who has an easy time being chummy with criminals and the law, never having to make a hard choice as a result of your entanglements, then yes – that’s improbable enough that you have to sacrifice a card slot.

Worth noting that mechanically, Favours will be replacing all connections and aren’t really meant to be held onto – Renown is the permanent &quotfaction roleplay&quot quality, so if you try to maintain high levels of Favours with multiple factions that don’t get along, you’ll end up needing a lot more card slots. Build your renown instead if you want to roleplay being a significant underworld figure, and Favours can come and go.[/quote]

Huh? Ok, didn’t even know there is a thing called Renown now. The thing is Constables is still using connected now so I guess I’m forced to throw away my Favor: criminals. I still think the third options should be kept for those who have completed the affair of the box though but maybe with some costs attached to the option now.[/quote]
FBG just implemented the Renown/Favours system with the Criminals faction a few weeks ago, but they plan to apply it to the other &quotConnected to&quot factions as well.