Cosmogone, Viric and The Sunless Sea [Spoilers]

My proper entrance into Fallen London came through Sunless Sea… or did it…? Irrigo is a helluva… never-mind.

Mild Spoilers to come:

While my understanding of these Neathy colors is certainly incomplete, I’ve come to associate the Ray-Drenched Cinder with Cosomogone because this is the Cosmogone item for the Neathbow quest in Sunless Sea. However, in looking at the Ray-Drenched Cinder in Fallen London, it describes it has having properties of Irrigo and Violant.

Furthermore, as a Glassman, I am the proud owner of a fine set of Cosmogone Spectacles, which came from beyond the glass. Again, from my understanding from Sunless Sea, mirrors and Parabola are teeming with Viric. So why the Cosmogone glasses? Why not Viric?

SO! To conclude… that which I thought was Cosmogone is in fact Irrigo and Violant and that which I thought should be Viric is in fact Cosmogone. I’ve never felt so colorblind.

Is there inconsistency between the games on this point or are there wrinkles and nuance on this point? I’m guessing the later, because I’ve never found FB to be sloppy with their lore. Would one of you fine Neathy chromatic scholars pontificate on this subject?
edited by Handy81 on 12/1/2016
edited by Handy81 on 12/1/2016

The second case reigns true, yes.
Viric is undoubtedly the colour of Parabola, but a glassman might wear Cosmogone Spectacles for various reasons. Prehaps it’s to hide their radiant eyes, or maybe it’s because Fingerkings like the colour, or maybe it’s just to make a very unique fashion statement.

As for Ray-Drenched Cinders… who knows? It might just be that a cinder can possess any and all Neathbow-Colours while still being a Cinder, and those in Fallen London just happen to be Irrigo + Violant instead of Cosmogone, or perhaps it’s just an inconsistency on FBGs part. Like I said, it’s a mystery.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]The second case reigns true, yes.
Viric is undoubtedly the colour of Parabola, but a glassman might wear Cosmogone Spectacles for various reasons. Prehaps it’s to hide their radiant eyes, or maybe it’s because Fingerkings like the colour, or maybe it’s just to make a very unique fashion statement.

As for Ray-Drenched Cinders… who knows? It might just be that a cinder can possess any and all Neathbow-Colours while still being a Cinder, and those in Fallen London just happen to be Irrigo + Violant instead of Cosmogone, or perhaps it’s just an inconsistency on FBGs part. Like I said, it’s a mystery.[/quote]

Judging by the descriptions of both of them in both games, it seems like it’s likely that both can absorb different colours, and judging by the lack of sources for this item in both games it’s possible your character just doesn’t know enough to say anything but &quotthis one has these colours in it…&quot.

I could have sworn the Ray-Drenched Cinder was described at one point as having absorbed all the colors of the Neathbow, but I can’t find that reference now.

Perhaps cosmogene is the antithesis of viric, complementing the dangerous rays of Parabola into harmless, neutral light.

It’s drenched with rays of a neath-color, as for which rays…

Though the Cosmogone specs I’m at a loss for. I imagine it’s some kind of protection, but I don’t knokw enough of either Viric or Cosmogone to judge.

[i]&quotThe lenses are the colour of remembered sunshine, which the things behind mirrors find irresistible.&quot

&quotThe fecund, the foetid, the fungal: these flourish in the glow of cosmogone.&quot[/i]

So, cosmogone is a potent colour when dealing with things Parabolan. The particular cinders available in Sunless Sea have soaked up a good deal of cosmogone, causing mushrooms to thrive in their presence. Viric is also a very Parabolan colour, but less useful to the Glassman for some reason. I suspect that, to simplify, cosmogone is powerful when used against Parabolan critters, while viric is powerful when used by them.

Isn’t Parabola’s sun also cosmogone though? It’s the absence of such a sun that inhibited the growth of the first few Hearteater plants.

About Cosmogone:

I was under the impression that Cosmogone is like &quotrotted&quot sunlight, as Parabola has been said to rot the light of souls, and the light of Parabola is described as &quotA succulent, rotting light&quot. Since Parabola is quite literally the world of dreams, I figure the collective memories of sunlight of humanity manifest there, and Parabola subverts them into what we know as Cosmogone, and the Parabolan sun. Perhaps it is &quotrotted&quot in the sense that it no longer enforces Law?

I don’t see how such a thing could be used against them. Perhaps as a lure? As for Viric, I think that that’s simply the color of the Fingerkings and their ilk, not really THE color of parabola, in my eyes.

In any case, Cosmogone glasses wouldn’t make as much of a statement in Viric. They are SUNglasses, not SNAKEglasses.
edited by Addis Rook on 12/1/2016

Unfortunately, I’m unable to shed any light on the subject (no pun intended), as so many fine people have. I have a question of my own related to the Neathbow: I’ve heard Violant and Apocyan both described as the color of memory. What differentiates them, if anything? My personal guess is that Violant reminds the observer of painful and important things, while Apocyan reminds one of more mundane things. What do you all think?

Violant is kind of like the opposite of Irrigo. It actively prevents you from forgetting specific things. Apocyan is more like the color of passive reminiscence, and memory in general, as a whole.
edited by Addis Rook on 12/3/2016