Corsair!

Stoke your engines, and keep a weather eye on the horizon – Corsair is an update to Fallen London which includes a significant expansion to the zailing experience!

The zee is your hunting ground! Unearth forgotten treasures, hunt vessels across the Unterzee, and engage in a little light piracy. But take care – the zee is a harsh mistress, and unwary zailors may find themselves unable to bring all of their hard-earned plunder home.

We’re also releasing the next chapter of Evolution alongside Corsair! Aspiring corsairs will be able to continue the Youthful Naturalist’s story alongside your initial forays into the world of piracy.

New Options when Zailing

Flying the corsairs’ colours adds challenging new options to the zee deck that allow you to pursue profits while travelling across the Neath. The canny pirate will find many new opportunities to enrich themself while zailing about their business.

These new challenges can be tougher than normal zailing options, and offer more rigorous tests of your zailing ability.

The Corsair’s Citadel at Gaider’s Mourn

Blue Prophets circle the top of the Mourn. Why do the corsairs hold these birds in such high regard? What twisted creed do these isolated outlaws follow? To reach the truth you’ll need to earn the corsairs’ respect, and commit yourself to their lawless cause.

The Cordair’s Citadel: A pirate haven built around a stalagmite as vast as a crag. It’s a place where treasures and deaths are bought and sold. It is the centre of the vast gyre of the zee, and the nexus of the Neath’s waters. Here, among the pirates and Blue Prophets, is where the Unterzee’s legends are born. And if the corsairs are to accept you, you will need to prove your worth.

Gaider’s Mourn is a new, smaller port nestled in the Snares – the vicious heart of the Unterzee. It is a challenging location, aimed at those zailors with a high Zeefaring skill. In addition, completing the Corsair’s Citadel’s slice of story will raise your Zeefaring cap from 5 to 6.

The route to Gaider’s Mourn can be deduced from ‘A Return to Terra Firma’ in London, if your base Zeefaring skill is 5.

Evolution, Chapter 5

“Time itself opened. I saw my future. My Destiny. I’ve been running from that vision ever since.”

Chapter Five of Evolution is also out now! The Youthful Naturalist may be recuperating from his travails on Godfall, but you are embroiled in many schemes, and there is no rest for the wicked. The net is tightening. You have much research left to do. And the Naturalist is a magnet for trouble.

Evolution is available to everyone who has a ship and has delved into the mysteries of the Dilmun Club – specifically, you will need to have completed a trip to the Court of the Wakeful Eye and obtained the quality ‘Associating with Radical Academics’ at 75. The entirety of the serial story is free, and will be available to all players.

This is the fifth of Evolution’s seven chapters, and picks up from the previous chapter through ‘Pursuing Leads for the Youthful Naturalist’ in London. The remaining chapters will be released throughout 2023.

8 Likes

Upon arrival, Survey the Dock Cradles / Mooch leads to descriptions of at least eight different kinds of vessels – which is rather impressive!

Zailing updates are always welcome!

But concerning Evolution, can anyone explain in plain English what actually happened so far - especially on Godfall? To me, most of the Youthful Naturalist’s utterings resemble impenetrable esoteric gibberish. I confess I’m not that impressed by the story so far.

4 Likes

Also, who is the Prester? I don’t remember having heard of him, and the writing makes me feel I should have.

1 Like

The Prester is the ruler of the Presbyterate, the most powerful political entity on the Elder Continent (comprising 77 kingdoms).

3 Likes

Okay, I guess this is my fault for having a single item I apparently neglected to perpetually keep in stock, but… in purely thematic and practical terms, I really don’t see why it should be entirely impossible to procure a Use of Villains at the Mourn. I mean, it is literally a pirate haven.

Alas, back to London I go.

3 Likes

I had no Strong-Backed Labour, myself, so I feel your pain.

1 Like

Also, for some real-world inspiration behind the FL lore, look up Prester John: A mythical king to whose court are ascribed all manner of implausible wonders, including the fountain of youth.

3 Likes

I’m not fond of needing to draw cards to continue Evolution. I’ve not gotten it for 70 draws.

1 Like

Given the standard naming conventions of FL, does the Terrified Landlady’s name imply her terror’s not to do with the police raid, but just her normal state of being?

Some info from Reddit:

Shopping list:

When zailing to Gaider’s Mourn make sure to bring the following with you, or else you’ll be forced to zail back to London in order to go shopping
4000 Rostygold
3 Strong Backed Labour
1 Use of Villains
15 Mourning Candles
50 Zee-Ztories
5 Aoelian screams
And Whirring Contraption but only for Evolution

Quality and economy:

A new vanity quality: A Prolific Pirate! I see those coins can be exchanged for nice Diamonds which can be sold at Hurlers. This means you can convert the plunder to scrip!

Stats:

The bounty hunting requires 16 Zeefaring for 100% success which is quite a lot! But we also got Zeefaring Ztudies! With this, old players can reach 15 while 16 is only possible with Captain Amelia, Espoused. But she won’t be required after Ztudies 2 will be available.

6 Likes

Upon arming my zub, it appears to have been transformed into a surface-going ship, to judge by the descriptions of weapons and their use and loading methods, not to mention a deck that is not present. Which seems a little undifferentiated.

Submarines do actually have decks - on which, historically, guns were mounted. Even with Fallen London’s fantastical technology, I don’t think it would be possible for a zubmarine to remain perpetually underwater. I think our zubs are spending most of their time on the surface, and only diving for short stints when it’s necessary - much like we see in Sunless Sea.

7 Likes

Speak for your own zub. The text even references “your ship” hanging there. Sorry, but this is just sloppy.

If I remember correctly, there is some text on one of the zubmarine options that mentions the top closing over the deck of your zub, implying that it is a surface-going ship most of the time.

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t it reference ‘your ship’? Your zub is a ship. Your ship is your zub. It’s in the ‘ship’ slot in your inventory.

6 Likes

It specially makes sense for the setting, since back then most submarines were basically torpedo ships with the ability of “crouching” a little under water

3 Likes

I think it’s probably true that submarines aren’t typically referred to as ships, but I wouldn’t call it a particularly grave error, either. And it is true that they often would feature both decks and deck guns. For a reasonably contemporaneous example of a submarine deck, see this one from 1907.

That said, the description of the arming sequence certainly does seem to much more aptly suit a different kind of vessel, even if it’s not specifically and definitively incompatible with a submersible. At least they covered their bases by mentioning torpedoes.

5 Likes

Any vessel can be a submersible once.

11 Likes

The thing is, submarines before having the ability of going for long periods below water, were called often “submersible/submarine ships”, mainly because they were an evolution of the torpedo boats used by the Jeune École-adherent strategists. The difference between submersible and submarine, and removing “ship” from “submarine ship”, appeared a little before WWI.

2 Likes