Constable renown more expensive

Hello all, after reaching 15 renown with the constables I notice the cost of gaining 28 renown is more than 6 echoes more expensive than it is with other factions due to needing a battered grey overcoat. According the the wiki the only way to get a battered grey overcoat is by purchasing it for 12.8 echoes or during Sackmas. Was this intentional? The sell price of the coat is 6.4, when added with the other items needed this results in a price of 12.5 like with all other factions. I’m just wondering whether this is an oversight or if it was intended for constable renown to have a higher cost.

Well, it probably was intended. The folks at FailBetter love asymmetrical game design(when appropriate), right?

Buuuuut also, most items are valued at their sale price. Like, honey’s worth 2p, not 4; Stolen Correspondence is considered to be worth 5p, not 10; and so on. Like, once you have the coat, spending it is only losing 6.4 Echoes, since that’s all you would get from selling it. I guess.

So, eh. Take your pick for the reason. But I don’t think it’s an oversight.

Edit: As a tack-on to the bit about it being worth 6.4, I feel like using the Bazaar buy price for the coat while using sale prices for everything else is kinda… incorrect. Like, if the coat is worth 12E, then you’re not spending 1.7E of stolen correspondence, you’re spending… 3.4-ish; and so on.
edited by hellaGumshoe on 8/5/2017

Didn’t criminals have the same “problem”? You had to buy plenty of pairs of iron legs, since your freebie at the start of the game only covers one. 'Course, they cost a lot less than the battered grey overcoat.

Anywho, the difference is pretty trivial. Wouldn’t change any of my decisions to have known this before the conversion.

[quote=hellaGumshoe]Edit: As a tack-on to the bit about it being worth 6.4, I feel like using the Bazaar buy price for the coat while using sale prices for everything else is kinda… incorrect. Like, if the coat is worth 12E, then you’re not spending 1.7E of stolen correspondence, you’re spending… 3.4-ish; and so on.
edited by hellaGumshoe on 8/5/2017[/quote]

I think using the Bazaar buy price for Bazaar-only items makes sense. The only other source of the Battered Grey Overcoat is from the final day of Mister Sacks, so I sincerely doubt anyone is using that as their main source of coats, whereas Stolen Correspondence has it’s own ‘Unfinished Business’ option, and therefore can be obtained with no cost to your echoes. I set these terms for Bazaar-Exclusive items only, though. Things like Dazed Ravens or Brass Rings I label as the Bazaar sell price, as well as honey and all the other small-value items.
edited by Yeah on 8/5/2017