Connections with the church

Hello, yes, let’s see. Well it seems I have fallen out of favor with the church in recent times. No I do not wish to discuss it. I have visited the carnival plenty of times and they seem to have taken more of a liking to me but I have gotten all that I can out of the carnival. Would anyone have any suggestions on some easy ways to curry some more favor with the church? (I am currently at 10 connected from the carnival and would like to reach 20.)

There are several options, but none are particularly easy - at least, those I can remember at the moment are not.

The first option that comes to mind is the Soul Trade, but that requires Fate. Should you choose to get involved in the Soul Trade on the right side, you’ll eventually be granted access to an opportunity card that - at not-insignificant cost - will send your Connected: Church quality far beyond 20.

The second option involves disgraced exile in the Tomb-Colonies and an inordinately large stash of Foxfire Candles - multiples of 200.

/EDIT: Oh, and finally, you could befriend such low characters as spies, devils and bohemians, then show how little you value their friendship when the opportunity arises.
edited by Cedric Appleby on 12/20/2011

Well, for starters, as soon as you hit Scandal 3 an action opens in your Lodgings, a luck roll at Pretty Good Odds that if successful reduces Scandal of a whle level (at least as long as you have around 5/6) and gves some Church Connection points (maybe a single one). Other bonuses to Connections: The Church stem from various actions and opportunity cards. You could have a look at this wiki page: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:The_Church

There is an opportunity for increasing my connections in the tomb colonies? I have the means to acquire large quantities of candles and I’ve never found it particularly hard to reach exile. As for the soul trade, my views on this are part of why I have fallen out of favor in recent times. In respect to attending church, this works, however quite slowly.

The Bazaar has a lovely (but expensive) selection of jeweled reliquaries for sale, which can be used to raise your Connected: The Church quality as long as it’s between 10 and 20 for a cost of 25 Cryptic Clues per action.

I think Cedric was talking about the “Send a gift to the Church” option in the “The Price of Forgiveness” storylet found in the Tomb-colonies.

I agree with Streetfelineblue - there are items you can wear (like stockings) that’ll keep your scandal up and so you can visit the church frequently from your lodgings to regain their favour.

I’m in the same situation as the OP. I put on my bonnet and stockings and went off to attend church, but each action only brings one change point in church connections and my scandal value quickly went to zero, closing off the option.
edited by Josiah Thimblerig on 9/12/2013

Luckily, the folks working at the wiki provided a guide to raising all Connections.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Raising_Connections

If you want a link to the wiki page with the complete list of all the actions raising Connected: The Church, reference my first reply ^^

[quote=streetfelineblue]Luckily, the folks working at the wiki provided a guide to raising all Connections.

If you want a link to the wiki page with the complete list of all the actions raising Connected: The Church, reference my first reply ^^[/quote]
Thanks a lot. The Raising Connections page looks very useful.
[li]
However, I’m still confused about the relationship between &quotClosest to&quot and &quotConnected&quot. I have Connected: Urchins 14, Constables:13 and Hell:12, so why am I &quotClosest to Hell&quot?? Can someone clarify, or point me in the right direction to read up on it?

[quote=Glorion][quote=streetfelineblue]Luckily, the folks working at the wiki provided a guide to raising all Connections.

If you want a link to the wiki page with the complete list of all the actions raising Connected: The Church, reference my first reply ^^[/quote]

However, I’m still confused about the relationship between &quotClosest to&quot and &quotConnected&quot. I have Connected: Urchins 14, Constables:13 and Hell:12, so why am I &quotClosest to Hell&quot?? Can someone clarify, or point me in the right direction to read up on it?[/quote]

The &quotclosest to&quot is a quality that allow to select your… kind of favourite faction, the faction whose goals you condivide, and it unlocks access to options in diferent storylets and cards (first that come to mind ar the Counting the days… storylets to get Mark of Credit pages). It is currently impossible to modify, unlesss you decide to sell the location of the cave of Nadir (an action you can do ONLY ONCE that gives a large reward and makes you Aligned with the faction you sold the route to. Possible choices are only Hell, Great Game, Revolutionaries and Urchins).

The Connected quality shows how much influence you have in a faction - basically how many favours you can ask - and can be traded for goods or used for various actions, like choosing a Profession.

[quote=streetfelineblue][quote=Glorion][quote=streetfelineblue]Luckily, the folks working at the wiki provided a guide to raising all Connections.

However, I’m still confused about the relationship between &quotClosest to&quot and &quotConnected&quot. I have Connected: Urchins 14, Constables:13 and Hell:12, so why am I &quotClosest to Hell&quot?? Can someone clarify, or point me in the right direction to read up on it?[/quote]

The &quotclosest to&quot is a quality that allow to select your… kind of favourite faction, the faction whose goals you condivide, and it unlocks access to options in diferent storylets and cards (first that come to mind ar the Counting the days… storylets to get Mark of Credit pages). It is currently impossible to modify, unlesss you decide to sell the location of the cave of Nadir (an action you can do ONLY ONCE that gives a large reward and makes you Aligned with the faction you sold the route to. Possible choices are only Hell, Great Game, Revolutionaries and Urchins).

The Connected quality shows how much influence you have in a faction - basically how many favours you can ask - and can be traded for goods or used for various actions, like choosing a Profession.[/quote]

[li]
Oh, I see. So when, rather on a whim, I chose Hell as my faction, that was a lot more permanent that I thought. (I’m a long way from reaching the Cave of the Nadir). OK, so I will go and accept my fallen self and glory in my hellishness, then! Thanks a lot for the clarification.

[quote=Glorion]

Oh, I see. So when, rather on a whim, I chose Hell as my faction, that was a lot more permanent that I thought. (I’m a long way from reaching the Cave of the Nadir). OK, so I will go and accept my fallen self and glory in my hellishness, then! Thanks a lot for the clarification.[/quote]

I’ll add that it is a relatively uninfluential choice - it does lock or unlock some storylets, but nothing cardinal. Moreover, selling the location of the Cave is a recent addiction, but nothing prevents for other methods to appear in the future ^^

The Church is a slow-going connection for certain. The best luck I had in raising it was to keep my Great Game and Hell connections above 5 via the carnival, and side with the Church whenever the connection cards arose.

Well, at least it has the addition of the bonus for attending a church fête on the Church card (10 CP I think?) and a couple of Fate-Locked options. I’m grinding Great Game since what it seems forever, and now I haven’t even the Wry Functionary storylet available T.T Nearly A Power in the Shadows anyway, but damn it takes time XD

If you are interested in investing the Soul Trade story, being a Shepherd of Souls will raise your Connected: Church greatly every time you turn in 1000 souls and 100 Infernal Contracts, though you need a particular opportunity card to do so.