Concerning the reduction of buyers remorse.

I may consider buying fate in order to access locked content, however before I do so it would be an asset to know which stories to buy and which to avoid. Also is exceptional friendship worth it.

P.S. I know that there is a post identical to this one, but it is from a few years ago and is over a hundred pages long.
edited by Zarrg on 8/18/2016

Estelle Knoht’s guide to Fate-locked stories is still largely accurate: part 1, part 2

And I guess most people here will tell you that EF is totally worth it, the extra stories are usually really good. Some might disagree, of course, but I think FB have stated more than once that the introduction of Exceptional Stories a bit over a year ago was a very successful move and generally very well-received.

All the former ES have their own forum thread, so you can sift through players’ responses there. Besides Flint (which is huge), Lost in Reflections and The Frequently Deceased were my personal favourites so far. The only one I didn’t like was Discernment.
edited by phryne on 8/18/2016

The spoilers in the posts you linked to are empty – ?

Not for me, they aren’t! Maybe it’s a browser issue on your end? They might take a while to load…

Most of the ES are great, but they’re also around twice the price of most other Fate stories. Feel free to get them if you want, but my usual suggestion is to start out with various of the regular Fate stories. Empyrean Redolence and Flute Street are widely considered among the best, so they’re great places to start.

I see what’s going on there – it’s a link to imgur, which I can’t see from this level.

Exceptional friendship is definitely worth it when you consider that it also comes with higher max actions and cards. That makes it possible to play the game with less frequent check ins, and lets you enjoy spending 40 actions all at once. If you divide the cost, then you’re really just paying $3.50 for each monthly story. Even the lesser ES are worth at least that much, and for the better ones it’s a bargain.

Aside from ES, I very much enjoyed and recommend The Gift.

[color=#c2c2c2]Thank-you[/color][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] for your feedback.[/color]
[color=#c2c2c2]I have subscribed to Exceptional friendship, it benefits Me and the developers.[/color]
[color=#c2c2c2]Also, the price of Flint[/color][color=#c2c2c2] equates that of a high budget indie computer game or a two year old AAA game. How large is it?[/color]

[quote=Zarrg][color=#c2c2c2]Thank-you[/color][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] for your feedback.[/color]
[color=#c2c2c2]I have subscribed to Exceptional friendship, it benefits Me and the developers.[/color]
[color=#c2c2c2]Also, the price of Flint[/color][color=#c2c2c2] equates that of a high budget indie computer game or a two year old AAA game. How large is it?[/color][/quote]
Well, it’s not Fallout: NV Ultimate Edition if that’s what you’re asking. It’s about three or four times* the length of a normal EF story. If you don’t mind waiting a month, that should give you a decent yardstick.

Edit: *Maybe four or five times the length. It was a while ago.
edited by MrBurnside on 8/18/2016

It’s definitely the single largest storyline in the game, possibly except for Ambitions. Among other things, it includes five different unique areas of which one is permanently unlocked. There’s boatloads of lore and information on various subjects. I think doing the whole thing took me two or three days of using almost all my actions, though I did go out of my way to do every single thing.

However, Flint is IMO not really a story. There’s a general overarching plot, but it’s mostly a reason to venture into far-off lands and get up to shenanigans. There are various small substories that occur along the journey, but they aren’t the focus. In my view, it’s well worth the money if you want lore and flavor, but if you’re seeking stories the regular Exceptional Stories are a better place to start.

Edit: Also, welcome most Exceptional friend! You now have access to the House of Chimes, with various repeatable actions and two unique stories. If you don’t plan on playing the current Exceptional Story soon (changeover happens last Thursday of the month) make sure to play the entry storylet in the House of Chimes so you’ll retain access to it.
edited by Optimatum on 8/18/2016