Closest to: The Masters of the Bazaar

…how do you become this? I know that it’s an option, since various selections has it listed as an alternative to more obvious allegiances. But The Masters aren’t on the original ‘Choosing a Side’ card, and they also don’t have a Faction-Card of their own where you might find the option…

Honestly, it seems like the kind of thing you’d have to go on an epic quest to become. Maybe it just hasn’t been implemented yet?

AFAIK it’s not possible. Yet.

Why would you want to? the masters are jerks. this isn’t from the point of veiw of a revolutionary, but of a neutral civilian. plus, the masters being jerks would be a good reason why you can’t. still could be interesting, but it’d be very hard. maybe someday, after the name resumes, we’ll get to be closest to A master of the bazaar, though. don’t do that, though.

There are several options for Closest To: that are not currently selectable. The Masters may very well be the last one that is unlocked, if not left as a taunting tease in perpetuity. (I can verify that having “Connected: The Masters of the Bazaar 11 - There May be Indiscretions” is not enough to unlock such an option, at any rate.)

These &quotunavailable&quot options are there as a roundabout way to describe their position in society. But story-wise you shouldn’t be able to join them because they are not playing the money game at all and don’t need you to struggle for Mark of Credit on their behaves.

Well… they ARE the single-most powerful faction in London, more-or-less controlling the place. Just having their favor can move vast obstacles out of your way and open doors otherwise barred. Imagine what being a close aide or confidant of theirs might do for you…

…of course, that’s a rather mercenary attitude, but benevolence and high morals are rarely profitable.

Well… they ARE the single-most powerful faction in London, more-or-less controlling the place. Just having their favor can move vast obstacles out of your way and open doors otherwise barred. Imagine what being a close aide or confidant of theirs might do for you…

…of course, that’s a rather mercenary attitude, but benevolence and high morals are rarely profitable.[/quote]
well, yeah, but closest to is more what you care about them, and what they care about you. also, that is why it is immpossible. the masters don’t care about you at all. they repay favors, sometimes, but little else. ultimately, you are dust in the wind, and they are slaves to forces beyond most’s comprehension- as are all inside the realm of judgement, though they are not in those places. it would be like trying to be closest to the duchess, or to any other faction that has little use for mortals, like the drownies, death, or mr. eaten. possible, theoretically, but so implausible, it might as well not happen.
edited by Grenem on 3/18/2015

[quote=Grenem] Well, yeah, but closest to is more what you care about them, and what they care about you. also, that is why it is immpossible. the masters don’t care about you at all. they repay favors, sometimes, but little else. ultimately, you are dust in the wind, and they are slaves to forces beyond most’s comprehension- as are all inside the realm of judgement, though they are not in those places. it would be like trying to be closest to the duchess, or to any other faction that has little use for mortals, like the drownies, death, or mr. eaten. possible, theoretically, but so implausible, it might as well not happen.
edited by Grenem on 3/18/2015[/quote]

…you DO know that someone’s totally going to put &quotClosest to: Mr. Eaten&quot in their status now, don’t you? :P Well, more to the point, you’re probably right. I just never got that impression from the whole ‘closest to’ deal. The way I see it, it’s just the faction you choose to align yourself with, above and beyond the connections you can freely form with them all. The description of each faction on the ‘Choose a side’ card are mostly about what kind of advantages and profits you could gain from each… which makes sense since the opportunity is first provided to you by the notoriously money-obsessed Numismatrix.

I don’t think it is necessarily who you actually like, or who likes you. It’s just you are are closest to, thus they will be more open with you. They may still view you as expandable, you’re just trusted and expendable.

I believe I saw an answer to why you can’t do this.

Ah here it is:

Relatedly, I would TOTALLY make a drownie character if it were an option.
edited by WormApotheote on 3/18/2015

If you’re interested in being close to the Masters then certain of the Destinies will definitely appeal…

… yep. Just waiting for someone to request Mr. Eaten faction cards now. Or options. On that. On all other faction’s cards. Go go go!

They’re not really all that worse than many of the other factions.

Closest to: The Tiger Keeper.