Closest To: The Great Game - usefulness?

Hey, still a fairly new player here, looking for a bit of advice. So when the game asked me to pick a faction to be closest to, I picked the Great Game (since I fancied my character a bit of a spy at the time), but having played on for a while now, I’m starting to wonder if it’s actually of much use. Training my Watchful with their Whispers From The Surface card is super costly, and I haven’t yet found a reliable way to increase my connection to the Great Game after it drops below 20 from the aforementioned Watchful training.

Are the other factions actually of much more use, or are they all like this? And how much of a difference does your Closest To quality have to the plot, anyway? (For the moment, I’ve actually picked Trickster as my profession, so I’m not even utilising the Great Game’s unique profession.)

“Closet To” has little mechanical difference in most cases, and actually doesn’t interact with Connections at all, really. It’s main purpose is determining what options you can select while progressing the “Counting the Days” counter. The Great Game is actually one of the better options for that, as it has repeatable storylets for Counting the Days at any level, though getting Marks of Credit has limited usefulness after a while.

Okay, thanks! I was hoping there’d be something like unique storylets that the Closest To quality would unlock, but if that’s not the case, I might as well stick with what I have. Still haven’t quite figured out what Counting the Days actually does, but… like I said, I’m still a pretty new player. :&quotD

Okay, thanks! I was hoping there’d be something like unique storylets that the Closest To quality would unlock, but if that’s not the case, I might as well stick with what I have. Still haven’t quite figured out what Counting the Days actually does, but… like I said, I’m still a pretty new player. :&quotD[/quote]
Each connection card has a single storylet on it that’ll raise both counting the days and pocketful of loose change, though the true benefit is the new text. In addition, some storylets or cards require alignment with one of two lists of factions- basically, the respectables, like society, and the unrespected, like criminals- however, at least one faction winds up on both lists- The great game is one.

The other two sources of text are betraying the faction you’re closest to and joining a new faction. this means there’s a lot of options, but only a few are actually viable to do.

This guide on the Wiki is a bit densely formatted but should explain the ins and outs of CtD to you pretty well.

Of note: Bohemians are the only other faction besides the Great Game which is able to advance CtD from 0-14 entirely through static storylets. This means that the Great Game is usually better from a mechanics standpoint, as the Bohemians opportunity card has a wider range of uses (Making Waves, in particular).