Chrome extension: Playing Favourites

I’m here. I’m reading this. However, I’ve been finding really little time for hobby project maintenance for a while now… I hope to look into it this weekend.

Hey Alistair! I’m a big fan of Playing Favourites and I’d love to see it operational on the redesign. I have been working on porting one of my extensions so have been spending a fair amount of time looking at the new site’s structure. As far as I can tell there are enough bits of metadata in the redesign for PF to work, although a lot of the logic is going to need another look. I’ve forked your repo and will try to open an issue over the weekend to discuss the technical stuff (modulo the same shortage of time to work on hobby projects that you’re experiencing).

Thank you for the reply.
It is hard to distinguish “people not replying but reading” from “people not online at all” in this type of forum.

OK, so. Good news, bad news.

Good news: someone stepped in to help with required changes, that were far less than I expected. I took their work, added some fixes on top, and there we have it: 0.4.0-pre version.

Bad news: I still have a few things I want to finish off before I put it out as an official update. For now, you can install the preview version as an unpacked extension to test its compatibility with the new UI.

Good (bad?) news: I’m down with a cold, so I’m not working. On the bright side, I should have time to try and finish the pesky bugs off soon.

Bad news: When I do finally push the update to Web Store, the extension will be auto-disabled for all users. This is due to URL change (the extension will require permissions to access the new URL), and everyone will have to manually accept the change. But at least you’ll know it’s been updated!

Good news: Firefox compatibility with Chrome extensions is now much better than 2 years ago when I last took a stab at it. So if the momentum keeps going, we’ll have a Firefox version as well soon.

I started testing your new version. Reporting encountered bugs at tickets to github. So far one nonblocking visual one.

Awesome job.

Thank you so much Alistair! I hope you get better soon

The deed is done.

0.4.0 is out in Chrome Web Store.

If you want to hurry your updates along, open chrome://extensions, enable Developer Mode, and click Update at the top. Otherwise, it should auto-update in a matter of hours.

Known issue: when transitioning from a branch conclusion back to the same storylet, the order of branches can be sometimes weird (e.g. inactive mixed with active). I may fix that in a future update, it’s cosmetic only and just a weirdness of how React works (and my reordering messes with it).

Special thanks to Trevor Loflin who did the groundwork for adapting to the new UI and kicked off my activity.

My apologies that it took so long. As a matter of fact, I do not play Fallen London myself for over 1.5 years now, which can explain my apathy. I’m happy that supporting this extension is still feasible though.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to update it, especially as you no longer play.

There seems to have arrived some IU update, that disconnected in-storylet-options from Playing Favourites.

Glad to see this is (mostly) up and running again. Has anyone been able to fix the issue with the favourites options not showing up in storylets?

My partner was kind enough to fix Playing Favourites - now it works inside storylets too! Here’s a link for Firefox. Chrome is still authorising the extension, I’ll add a link when it will be up.

Issue with invisible ribbons next to cards was fixed.
And here’s a link for Chrome extension!

Excellent! Thank you so much for the update! If we already have the old version, should it be removed? Will the already-marked favourites persist or will they need to be set again?

Yep, you have to remove old one first. And sadly your choices will be reset.

Extension was updated: now ribbons affect Go and Discard buttons. I.e. you can’t play a card or storylet marked red (but you can play them with Shift+click). Discard button is disabled for cards that are marked green (they can be discarded with Shift+click).
You have to enable these options in extension settings:

Dear Valiant,

It’s a bit strange that you didn’t attempt to request access to the repository or do PR’s… I can add people to the repository as maintainers, so that there’s no need for a fork.

Giving publishing access to the original extension is a bit trickier, but we can discuss that as well.

Basically, drop me a line, using my GitHub email!

Good day, Alistair!

It’s me who made a fork of your repository by Valiant request to fix the storylets.
Sorry for the inconvenience, I did not work with someone on github yet, so I did’t think of it. Also your repository already has several forks, did’t update for 17 months and you wrote that you are no longer play FL so it was simpler for me to create fork and work within it.
As far as I see your license don’t prohibit it.

If you want, you can have all the changes from my fork.

I’ll email you soon.

Hello everybody!
I’ve been using Playing Favourites on Opera browser for about a week or so and I’ve not had any problems. It is simple, easy and useful. Until yesterday afternoon, it still worked just fine. By evening though, there appeared a problem. All the options I had marked as useful in the various locations around London still float on top as normal, but within those options, as well as in the opportunity cards, my chosen options have reverted to their original place, even though they remain marked green/red. I I’ve not changed anything in my laptop or its settings, or the browser’s settings.

I’ve checked the extension settings and they’re fine. I’ve even tried cycling through Favourite-Avoid-Neutral to see if there’s any change but nothing. Is anyone else experiencing this? I understand the extension may not be fine-tuned for Opera, but it was working perfectly for more than a week, that’s why I’m asking if there’s anyone else having a problem since yesterday. It’s not game-breaking at all, of course, it’s just that I was just getting used to having all my good options floating in my view! :D

In any case, thanks in advance and I hope you’re all staying safe!

Hi! Yes, I noticed this just now. FB must have implemented some changes to website and it broke sorting function. I hope we’ll be able to fix it soon.

Just a quick question, is this something that is still being worked on? The floating function of the extension seems to no longer be working.