Chrome extension: Playing Favourites

Just installed the extension, the idea is great.

About the colour scheme, I think the most natural thing is for green to mean “I can safely discard”, red “This is a card I should keep”. I especially like the idea of a protector, I discarded many cards I would have preferred to keep while absentmindedly clicking.

Version 0.2.1 is out, adding support for cards (as shown in posts above) and storylets in locations.

Your Chrome should eventually pick it up automatically and require no action on your part, but if you want to accelerate the process, you can force an update check at chrome://extensions with Developer mode enabled.

Do note: red discard button currently does NOT prevent accidental clicks. As much as I’d want that, it’s harder to do than I initially estimated. It’s still on the table for a later version, but don’t expect it very soon.

I was about to point out that you can’t mark non-discardable cards. Then I realised that of course not, you’re not at risk of discarding them!

[quote=Gemma Hawley]
I’m having the same experience over here. Once I reload, it works fine, but every time I switch accounts, it’s gone again. I don’t even mind the extra click because the extension is overall so useful! [/quote]

May I ask what other extensions you use?
edited by fallingkitten on 3/24/2016

PM sent, fallingkitten.

1. Love the extension, floating branches up to the top will be inanely useful.
  2. I’m not sure why I’d want to favourite storylets, because when I favourite a storylet its location doesn’t move.

Also, my take on the green/red thing.
A green highlighted branch or storylet means it’s a good thing and the option that you want to do, red would mean “no you don’t like this”. Following that, a green card would be one you’d want to do and red a card you don’t want. That seems the most consistent to me.

Regarding the potential ambiguity of “what does green/red mean for the discard button?”, would it be possible to change the text on a favourited card to “KEEP”?

I’m also getting a bug with having both this extension and Card Protector:

I don’t reorder things when you mark them, that would be confusing. The storylet should float to the top the next time you see it.

Yes, it would be possible.
Edit: However, until I implement some click-protection, that would be misleading: you click on the KEEP button and it discards instead…

[quote=Cecil ]I’m also getting a bug with having both this extension and Card Protector:

Hmm, I’ll see what I can do.
edited by Alistair Cray on 3/24/2016

Version 0.2.2 is uploaded to Chrome Web Store, with code supporting various Protector userstyles (the toggle shouldn’t show up if the button is hidden by something else).

The update will be available after standard CWS security checks (up to an hour).

Yes, it would be possible.
Edit: However, until I implement some click-protection, that would be misleading: you click on the KEEP button and it discards instead…[/quote]
What about a &quotDON’T CLICK&quot, for now? I find it conveys the message clearly.
edited by Odexios on 3/26/2016

Thanks for the extension, Alistair! I find it very useful.

A couple of further suggestions/requests:

1. In the options when choosing to float “favourite” branches to the top, provide the option to select this separately for storylets and for card branches. e.g. personally, I find it confusing to change the position of branches in a card, but very helpful to organize the storylets in certain locations (e.g. keep Affair of the Box storylets at the top).

2. If possible, it would be nice to be able to choose in the options the colours used. I find the default green too light for me and would love the ability to choose a slightly darker green.

Thanks again!

(also,this extension doesn’t sync with my Android device :-( Any tips on how to solve this would be much appreciated!)

Another improvement suggestion, regarding the red/green discard/keep issue:

I think it might be more visually clear if there’s an additional coloured border around the relevant card. So:

1. “Discard” button is red, card is surrounded in green.
  2. “Discard” button is green, card is surrounded in red.

This will make it obvious that in the first case, the card is to be played/kept and not discarded, and in the second case that the card is not to be played, and is safe to discard.

[quote=Gemma Hawley]I’m having the same experience over here. Once I reload, it works fine, but every time I switch accounts, it’s gone again. I don’t even mind the extra click because the extension is overall so useful!

Should you need any pertinent details, Mr Cray, feel free to PM.[/quote]
Delicious friends! At long last, I have found the core reason for this bug, and it’s frankly fascinating, as it seems to be quite a nasty bug in Chrome itself.

I hope I’ll find time to fix this (it’s quite easy, but the whole push-an-update-to-Web-Store dance is something I don’t have time for right now). I’ll also try to publish it for Firefox at some point - WebExtensions are now mature enough for it.

I just installed the extension but it doesn’t seem to work properly. I can select the ribbon and highlight a storylet, but it doesn’t swoop it up to the top. In fact, whatever I mark stays stubbornly in place

I have decided that animating it floating to the top is not worth the effort and confusingly wrestles the UI from under your mouse; the point is that next time you see it, it will be at the top. You should be able to test it by refreshing the page.
edited by Alistair Cray on 10/21/2016

It doesn’t work, even on refresh.

Imgur

It also doesn’t work in sub-storylets or elsewhere

[quote=Mr. Sails]It doesn’t work, even on refresh.

Imgur

It also doesn’t work in sub-storylets or elsewhere[/quote]

Note that this behavior is optional (though it should be default). Perhaps you accidentally switched it off? Can you check extension’s options (for example, by right-clicking its icon in the toolbar, or from the Extensions list)?

Oh, that’s it. Didn’t realise it was optional only

Delicious friends!

A big 0.3 update just landed in the Chrome Web Store.

[ul][li]The old and elusive bug with the extension not loading after login and requiring a reload has been tracked down worked around.[/li][li]Branches and storylets can now be marked as &quotavoid&quot (red), and will float to the bottom if reordering is enabled.[/li][li]The extension now offers two modes to cycle through states: click-through to cycle green-red-neutral, and using Ctrl/Cmd to set red.[/li][li]The extension should now allow much more faves/avoids (several thousands of every type) before running into problems.[/li][/ul]Next up:

• Exporting and importing configuration! While Chrome Sync does a pretty good job, you may want to back up or manually transfer your selections. You will be able to both replace and merge in configurations.[/li][li]Protecting discards that are marked red. I wanted it in 0.3 but was running out of time.[/li][li]The big one. A Firefox version! I believe I already made it compatible, but I need a bit more testing and do the manual review for the Mozilla Add-on repository.

As usual with updates: your Chrome should eventually pick it up automatically and require no action on your part, but if you want to accelerate the process, you can force an update check at chrome://extensions with Developer mode enabled.
edited by Alistair Cray on 10/30/2016

Thanks for your hard work, Alistair! Still my favourite FL extension. :D

Thank you! Now I won’t accidentally run up my Turncoat menace by misclicks while grinding Affair of the Box anymore :)
edited by protonsinthedark on 11/1/2016

Working on an extension as well, but work kept me way to busy!
Now, you just need to work with Chrome’s API, read the desired object, parse into an object/string, use HTML save and you’re done. Reading the respective file shouldn’t be such a big issue.

Cheers and good luck!