Change my connected pet?

Good morning!

Unfortunately, when I started my venture in Fallen London I chose a pet without understanding much, and now it does not fit my character’s ambition or needs. I’d like to change it. I have seen I can get rid of it using its own card (e.g., the Slug card) but I don’t know if it will be possible to obtain a new one.

Any insight or information regarding this? I’ll highly appreciate it.

If you get rid of it you can choose another pet in Watchmaker’s Hill if you have the necessary Favour.

I’ve been thinking of doing the same. I picked mine pretty much at random, and I’m not sure it really suits my character. I may get one that better fits her thematically, but then again I may just go for the one with the best goodies.

Is there any consensus as to which is the best to get, purely from a mercenary outlook?

[quote=Plynkes]I’ve been thinking of doing the same. I picked mine pretty much at random, and I’m not sure it really suits my character. I may get one that better fits her thematically, but then again I may just go for the one with the best goodies.

Is there any consensus as to which is the best to get, purely from a mercenary outlook?[/quote]
Whichever Favor you think is most important. For many people, this is based on some goal other than strict profitability. I’ve changed pets four or five times in the past year, in order to support Renown grinding. Favors can also be used to advance progress related to Poet Laureate, Paramount Presence, and the Fifth Coil.

Strictly by money, the most profitable used be Docks as of a few months ago. Strictly speaking, Revolutionaries Favors are worth the most money but cashing them out requires an Opportunity Card. If you are already saturated for Favors, adding another source won’t help. One could make an argument for Tomb-Colonist, although that is more about your ability to cash out on a grind rather than the ability to execute on it.

I haven’t seen anybody run the numbers on the Fifth Coil yet. Favors for Tribute looks attractive, but it has high overhead.

Unfortunately it’s worse than just Calling in Favours, even ignoring the action cost of the zee trip. See here.

Unfortunately it’s worse than just Calling in Favours, even ignoring the action cost of the zee trip. See here.[/quote]
This is Fallen London. Of course we ran the numbers :-)

The nice thing is that I think for every one of them, when you get rid of it, it goes to a good home.

Going by the simplest use, calling in favours, I think the most profitable pet is the Subtle Mole (Great Game). You can turn in Great Game favours for Cryptic Clues, and then buy bags of diamonds at Empire Adornments in the Bazaar Side-Streets.

The math depends on the exact chances, but you get 45 Flawed Diamonds most of the time and 44 + one Magnificent Diamond about 5% of the time. If it truly is 5%, that’s an EPA of 2.019 (6.019 - 4 in Cryptic Clues spent). That’s not an amazingly better profit, but it gives you three actions (gain favour, spend favour, spend Cryptic clues) at a profit instead of just 2 actions at slightly higher profit if you’re just selling the results of favours. Or, more clearly, an average of 6.019 echoes (usually 5.4 echoes, rarely 17.78) for 3 actions.
edited by Tyrconnell on 11/6/2017

From personal experience, though I imagine all the pets have the same frequency, that darned kitten is hanging around all the time (yesterday three times in one deck), and previously, I sometimes didn’t see that flibbertigibbet of a raven for weeks on end. Those bandages are deceptive, I bet it can fly after all.

For what it’s worth, I did the above math slightly wrong (treated turning in favours as 4 echoes instead of 4.2 echoes). The profit for turning clues into diamonds remains the same.