Certifiable Scraps-What am I to do with them?

Perhaps a naive question on my part, but what am I supposed to do with these certifiable scraps? I know I can trade them with the relickers, however it seems woefully inefficient to do so considering the number of actions required to accumulate them compared to the rewards given. Is there any particular reason to gather them? Or would it be better for me to devote my efforts elsewhere?

Trading them to the relickers not only offers items at a rate about of half an echo per scrap, but it offers items that are availible through few, if any, other sources, including stuff like rumourmaster’s network, which, at the absurd price of 3200 scraps, gives over 1500 echoes when sold (and therefore is either impossible, or directly adjacent from there, to get any other way). Eventually, at least if you’re prone to collecting stuff, you’ll want scraps, but it may not be worthwhile to use the options on the early lodgings- in fact, the first three might not even be worth getting until you know the options you want on them. still, it’s about 2 scaps to an echo, so they are somewhat valuable, at least. people say they all have value, but then, most forumgoers seem to have completionist tendencies, and i’ve never heard a use, besides buying the 5-card lodgings the expensive way, for these expensive beyond compare trinkets (well, not beyond compare- overgoats and upergoats cost more, as does hespirian cider. close enough though.).
edited by Grenem on 2/28/2015

Always good to use every opportunity to gather a scrap, no matter how small. However, if you managed to hold off on buying any of the smaller houses then you had best refrain from getting them and just go for the bigger houses. Still, I myself have a pile of 3,776 Certifiable Scraps yet do not know what to do with them. I might want to have a Breath of the Void for my mantlepiece but what if I need a piece of Veils-Velvet later?

edited by Owen Wulf on 2/28/2015

Are they ever used for anything else similar to the opportunity cards like the affluent photographer? I am not going to lie, I am a bit of a completionist, but all things considered I want to maximize my efforts so every action counts.

The Affluent Photographer cards are the only known instance where scraps are actually used in such a manner. They simply function as a collectible for most players, unless you are keen on purchasing one of the items held by the Relickers.

The trick is to save up scraps to get one of every Tier 8 item. Then get all of the Tier 7’s.

So far I have approximately 200 scraps…This might take a while then.

What about gambling with the reliquiers?

Recertify a double armfull is supposedly 50/50 you either gain 20 or lose 16, so you only net 4. That’s a 50/50 shot of 4, so an average of 2?

Comes out about the same with the single armful, does it not?

Any of the options there actually gain better, or are they really only useful cards when you want to turn in, or reduce a menice?

well, an average of two is nothing to scoff at, though it’s nothing to salivate over either. the menace reduction isn’t reliable either, though. don’t know the exact numbers for them, but it is also gain or lose wounds. if you’re desperate for dew-dropped cherries, you can get them in a gamble with one of the relickers, but you gain wounds if you lose.

On that note: What are dew dropped cherries used for? I have a small handful of them and I am curious if I should use them or hold on to them.

They’re just used to heal wounds. I don’t believe they have any other uses at this time.

[quote=Ben ]What about gambling with the reliquiers?

Recertify a double armfull is supposedly 50/50 you either gain 20 or lose 16, so you only net 4. That’s a 50/50 shot of 4, so an average of 2?

Any of the options there actually gain better, or are they really only useful cards when you want to turn in, or reduce a menice?[/quote]

Sure you don’t lose 18 on a loss? If so, it’s a net gain of 2 over 2 actions, or an average of 1.

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Ben ]What about gambling with the reliquiers?

Any of the options there actually gain better, or are they really only useful cards when you want to turn in, or reduce a menice?[/quote]

Sure you don’t lose 18 on a loss? If so, it’s a net gain of 2 over 2 actions, or an average of 1.[/quote]
tested. you’re right, its 18 on a loss, unless it differs between cards. if it differs, you lose 18 on a loss on the shadowy-associated relicker’s card.

I’ve also accumulated an awful lot of scrap (thousands) and can’t decide what to do with it…