Caught in the Gear's Teeth

A continuation of Playing with Broken Toys!? Why was this not announced? I quiver with excitement!

And it seems I have to wait for more opportunity cards, and build my Eyes of Icarus, in order to continue. At least now I know the proper surname for the Albino Rat. Although it’s quite odd that Alice (the Albino Rat, not that Alice…) refuses to help me learn more about her old friend.

They mentioned new storylets that use the new qualities. So, in a way, they did announce it.

Yay! More broken toys! I’ve been eagerly awaiting this. I must return to London post haste!

Oh! I have been looking forward to this so!

~MF
A Lady mending toys

By Jasper! If only I weren’t enmeshed in other intrigues… Maybe I shall have to pay, or bribe, or threaten, some kind soul to keep me apprised.

Concerning the new qualities, I found a most delicious bit of information: It would appear that delving into storylets that already concern those mysteries now adds to those qualities! For example, breeding new monsters (Which deals with death of a sort) and playing chess with the boatman both increase “The Gates of the Garden”. I would imagine things such as the mirror marches and the war of illusions increase Fingerwork, and information on past cities now likely raises Fallen Cities. As for Eyes of Icarus, that is… the correspondence maybe? I truly have no idea in that regard.

Actually, that kinda makes sense in a way. Four of these new qualities… and four main qualities. The slow moving boat and the mysteries of death… the mirror marches and the field behind the glass… the tomb colonies and the former cities… but the eyes of icarus are once again an oddball out. Granted, Icarus DID escape from confinement, but as the quality itself says, “What does it mean?”

Escape from confinement, as you say - and rebellion against humanity’s constraints? Thwarted ambition, chastened hubris, the inventor entrapped by her own ingenuity?

Well, I wouldn’t be entirely sure on that last part. Icarus was not the inventor, that was Daedalus. In fact… I suppose it’s fair to say Icarus didn’t escape confinement either: He was too foolish, and did not listen to Daedalus, and flew too close to the sun. Though, this is also the EYES of Icarus, so what he saw may be important. He definitely observed Daedalus’ invention, and that would fit with it connecting with the broken toys.

There’s also the matter of the phrase “Icarus returning / longs for the deep places”. Returning from where? And what deep places? Does it perhaps have to do with what’s beneath the neath? Also, given the tenuous connection I’m giving it to the shadowy stat, the criminal underworld may be a thought.

For now though, let’s take a step back and look at facts. What do we know that gives the Eyes of Icarus? Of the clandestine rendezvous options, it’s given by urchins, revolutionaries, and the church. The latter seems out of place if we’re connecting it to criminals, but they are a radical sect, and their gift is meant to help you think hard on your sins.

Then there are the time delayed options. The dream of a vineyard, the sun basks down with a red light as thick as honey, but instead of speaking the sun merely looks down in sorrow, waiting for the dreamers to speak. Perhaps it is ashamed of us? Then there is the enthusiastic admirer, who loves our work on mushrooms, and shows us how much more there is to learn. Not sure what to make of it, but the Neath itself has a lack of sunlight that is why folks down here are obsessed with mushrooms, which can still grow… hmm, that combine with the dream about sunlight, gives the possibility that the Eyes of Icarus may have to do with our ties to the surface? After all, Icarus is most known for flight, of trying to fly up to the sun. And what is the highest point in Fallen London? And where all of us newcomers entered from the surface? Why, none other than New Newgate, a connection to the fourth place of menace besides criminal activity… by jove, I wonder if I’ve cracked this wide open!

Hello! Im rather desperate to begin the “Playing with Broken Toys” storyline, but I’m honestly kind of freaking out. Im at Dangerous 49, but all my other qualities are over 100, and I’m worried I’ll never get a card to start the storyline. Any ideas? Are the cards to start it location dependent at all?

P.S.-Daedelus was an inventor who invented enough to be imprisoned. The Watchmakrs daughter was an inventor who invented enough to ALMOST get imprisoned.

[quote=DukeLawliet]Hello! Im rather desperate to begin the “Playing with Broken Toys” storyline, but I’m honestly kind of freaking out. Im at Dangerous 49, but all my other qualities are over 100, and I’m worried I’ll never get a card to start the storyline. Any ideas? Are the cards to start it location dependent at all?

P.S.-Daedelus was an inventor who invented enough to be imprisoned. The Watchmakrs daughter was an inventor who invented enough to ALMOST get imprisoned.[/quote]

I recommend checking the wikis. But from my poking around it looks like there’s at least 1 opportunity with mid-range dangerous (50s) not counting the cards in the University (where I picked mine up I believe).

~MF
A Lady painting

I noticed that after a while “Playing with Broken Toys” opportunity cards stopped showing up for me. Would anybody happen to know why it could have happened?

Perhaps you’d reached a high enough ‘Playing with Broken Toys’ quality that they didn’t show any more.

When I hit 5 I quit seeing the opportunities. Came across a new one just yesterday though! Perhaps you hit the story limit?

~MF
A Lady piecing things together

Funny… but I can’t help flashing back to something I believe I heard in the University… a project utilizing the Correspondence as the researchers suspected it was meant to be used: an attempt, in Correspondence-symbols, to [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]talk directly with the sun[/color]. Perhaps the one and the other are related? It’s a tenuous connection, but mysteries have a habit of reappearing in strange places…

Also huge hugs to Alexis Kennedy for continuing the story writing.

“Mechanical toys, timepieces, little wheels and cogs; gears within gears. The craftspeople - and craftsrats - of London are capable of wondrous and intricate artistry. But is that all that they produce?”

I should mention that I later noticed the news post mentioning these new stories DOES mention what the eyes of icarus is for: It’s something like the true nature of the bazaar or something like that.

So it is! I did reach 5 “Playing with Broken Toys” without noticing it, and got my first point in “Caught in Gear’s Teeth” today. Apparently I was mislead by not seeing a conclusion to the story after having collected a few broken toys and a porcelain angel. Thank you for clearing up the confusion for me.

This story appears to be larger than just “Playing with broken toys” and “Caught in the gear’s teeth.”

I just got the opportunity card for “The Eyes of Icarus”.

I quote: “The craftspeople of london are capable of wondrous and intricate artistry. But is that all they produce?”

Hmmmm.

It’s a good story so far, but I’m having trouble keeping the quality up enough to continue. I went to prison hoping I’d be able to raise Seeing through the Eyes of Icarus there, similar to Walking the Fallen Cities in the Tomb Colonies and so on. Except it turns out, no, you don’t gain any of these qualities in prison. Any suggestions?