Buying Fate

Greetings and sorry if this information is already available, but I searched and searched and nothing.
So, here are two small questions:

1. I saw there’s an option to buy Fate w/o using a CC, but was wondering if there’s a way to buy Exceptional Friendship the same way?
  2. Are there packages of Exceptional Friendship like the ones available for the mobile version? Was checking it out (as I don’t have a suitable device) and saw there are packages for 3/6/12 months which are more attractive.

Cheers and have a relaxing weekend!

1. I’m not aware of any method to buy EF without a credit/debit card, though I haven’t looked into it too hard myself.
    A possible option, if it’s available in your area, is do what I used to do back when I played World of Warcraft (before I had a proper card of my own.) There used to be a convenience store in my area that sold pre-paid debit cards. So you’d hand over $X and get a card (I think it was a VISA card, or Mastercard, something like that - I can’t remember what brand it was) which had that amount loaded onto it. I’d use the card to top up my subscription, and any small amounts left over I’d use as partial payment when I bought stuff from the supermarket. That way I could treat it basically like a universal gift card, and while it cost a couple dollars to get the thing it meant that I didn’t have my own bank details used for the subscription - so if I found I was short of cash that week, the game couldn’t draw the money out of my savings before I got paid. When time came around for the next due payment, I’d update the details with the next prepaid card’s number.

At the moment I’m able to use my credit card for Exceptional Friendship, but I still use prepaid phone credit to buy Fate so that I don’t overspend.

1. Not sure about this one, and http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Gap/Load?content=%2Fhelp doesn’t seem to have the exact answer to your question. Hopefully someone else can assist you there. :-)

Having looked into it, I don’t think it’s possible to use the alternate payment methods to be an EF.

But the gift cards do look to still work for regular Fate buying as long as you change your payment method (curse you oh Bing for cutting off my Burger King gift cards just days before I would have bought my $25 of Fate!)

Yes, there are a lot of payment options for Fate which makes it accessible for a lot of us; even without a CC I just need to walk 50m to a market and buy a per-payed voucher from a terminal.

My real issue is with EF packages, but decided to ask the other question for future users that may search for it. If I can, I would like to buy a 12 month pack for 55$ instead of paying monthly. Let’s say that I get bored of this game, but this won’t happen in the next 6-8 months so the pack will still save me some money.

In the end, I’ll probably ask a friend which can install FL on iOS and pay them for the in-app purchase.

Cheers!

Indeed, when I asked to buy a year at a time, I was told it was quite impossible.

Now I hear it’s being done in the iOS version, and not at all impossible, I’m slightly outraged.

For quite understandable reasons the entire NATION where this game lives is flagged as quite HIGHEST POSSIBLE fraud risk. In order to buy anything here, I have to go, in person, to my bank first, arrange a special code, then make the purchase, let it be refused once by the system, wait for a phone call, use the code, make the purchase a second time, wait for a phone call, confirm the purchase, and THEN I get my fate.

… I did this for a few months for exceptional friendship too, until it inevitably fell on a weekend where I couldn’t do the face to face meeting for my ONE TIME CODE.

So I was not able to renew.

On a related note, wasn’t The gift of a great Fate (send 100 Fate) possible? I see that now it’s marked as &quotImpossible!&quot. Thought this was the only way to send Fate to someone even if the Help sections talks about an option at your lodgings.

So in the app it is possbile to buy a 12 month pack for 55$?

Would a computer savvy folk please be kind enough to recommend an emulator/ a program for windows pc that works with the fallen london app?
So that I can grap the 12 month and run?

[quote=Ysrthgrathe]So in the app it is possbile to buy a 12 month pack for 55$?

Would a computer savvy folk please be kind enough to recommend an emulator/ a program for windows pc that works with the fallen london app?
So that I can grap the 12 month and run?[/quote]
As you’re probably aware of Apple’s policy regarding many things, it’s easy to understand that there are no such thing; they’ll probably sue the first attempt to do so. My advice is to stay away from anything you may find as you risk installing malicious software.

There were some reports of people gifting fate on the iOS app and having it disappear. There were difficulties with some other social actions as well, but when real money is at stake, I imagine Failbetter is just being extra cautious in making sure it’s VERY fixed before re-enabling it.

[color=#009900]Hi all!

The 3/6/12 month subscription options were a last-minute surprise we had to implement because of some of the circumstances of working with Apple.

We will be offering them through the website as well, as soon as we’ve tidied up everything post mobile launch. Last year we were very wary of offering multi-month subscriptions, because Exceptional Friendship was still experimental and we worried we might need to change price or benefits. But we know what we’re doing, now.[/color]

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Hi all!

The 3/6/12 month subscription options were a last-minute surprise we had to implement because of some of the circumstances of working with Apple.

We will be offering them through the website as well, as soon as we’ve tidied up everything post mobile launch. Last year we were very wary of offering multi-month subscriptions, because Exceptional Friendship was still experimental and we worried we might need to change price or benefits. But we know what we’re doing, now.[/color][/quote]

Glad to hear, and thankyou for explaining the reasoning behind it. :-)

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Hi all!

We will be offering them through the website as well, as soon as we’ve tidied up everything post mobile launch. Last year we were very wary of offering multi-month subscriptions, because Exceptional Friendship was still experimental and we worried we might need to change price or benefits. But we know what we’re doing, now.[/color][/quote]
Glad to hear this!
Do you happen to have an ETA of this and will buying EF w/o a CC be possible?
edited by Skinnyman on 5/16/2016

ROFL, so “give up, never happening” is actually, “let apple strong arm you into it” …

… well, I’m glad you changed your mind, even if it was a force of evil that forced your … hand? Paws?

Anyway, thank you fez kitty.

Has anyone had luck using prepaid debit cards with buying Fate? Weirdly, trying to use it via the Paypal payment processing was rejected by the company (presumably because England is a terrifying land of financial fraudsters), and trying to go through Paypal directly just debits my checking account directly without asking me, which is all very good except for the fact that my prepaid debit card can’t get accidentally overdrafted by being an Exceptional Friend. It appears I’ll have to go month to month with it.

Regular PayPal purchases allow you to change your method of payment:
It’s possible you needed to add your prepaid card to your PayPal account first (on their website) and switch to it while paying if there isn’t the option to add a new method here.

[quote=Ysrthgrathe]So in the app it is possbile to buy a 12 month pack for 55$?

So that I can grap the 12 month and run?[/quote]

Okay I just saw this, and I need to give out a warning:
[b]
There is no working iOS emulator or anyway to access iOS apps without an actual iOS device. Anything claiming to do so is 100% scam.

If something says they are an iOS SIMULATOR, that’s also a scam, especially &quotiPadian&quot and anything similar. Simulator means it is just faking the feel - and there are reports of people downloading it for Fallout Shelter only to discover that it is a gameplay video pretending to be a game. If that isn’t shady, I don’t know what is.

If you see a recommendation from PCAdvisor and think that makes it safe, it is not. These guys do not do their research.

[/b]If you don’t have any iOS device, you can’t get access to any apps on iOS, period.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 5/31/2016

Estelle Knoht you added more that I did and I hope people will be less willing to use such “things”.
I’m still wondering when/if we’ll get an ETA for the EF packages.

It is insanely dodgy, but what really ticks me off is what seems to be a legitimate pc news site that does zero research and points people right into downloading malware. It is utterly shameful and irresponsible.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]
There is no working iOS emulator or anyway to access iOS apps without an actual iOS device. Anything claiming to do so is 100% scam.
[/quote]
Thank you.
Skinnyman already said something similar, but your crystal clear statement is very appreciated.
edited by Ysrthgrathe on 5/31/2016

Still waiting for EF packages. :)
Got my first EF month last week and, despite the comments, I really enjoyed the story (also changed my perspective about the Church) and it’s a lovely sight to wake up with 40 AP! Getting packages with Fate would be a better option as well.