Bug? Or another storytelling element?

I’ve looked around the forums and I’ve seen this problem before, but no actual answer on how to fix it. I’m a new player here and I was about to engage in the storyline of the Constable and the Cheery Man. Strangely, I noticed that I had someone acquired a point in family and law, preventing me from even having the encounter. I have no clue how I had even acquired this. Is this a bug? Did I accidentally already involve myself in the storyline (although looking at the wiki I should have the option to talk to the Cheery Man, if I had). And is there anyway of resetting it?

Sounds like you had yourself a lunch with the last detective and agreed to help her.

The two don’t get along.

Yup. The Cheery Man and Last Constable don’t exactly see eye-to-eye.

Doxl, on the Myself tab, under the Circumstance Quality, do you have any Qualities that look like &quotThe Cheery Man and the Last Constable, Favouring _____&quot ?

Alternately, in your inventory (probably under Curiosity) do you have either of the &quotA Rendezvous with ____&quot items? The icon will be his or her face, depending on who the rendezvous is with.
If not, and if your Family and Law is at 3 or below, then you may just have to be at the point where you need to wait for the story to continue. Check your Messages tab, to see if there are any updates there.

From the wiki:

- At certain stages of Family and Law, you’ll have to wait to receive this. When it arrives, it’ll come with an inbox Message:
&quotSavage, shrewd, charismatic: they call him the Cheery Man. Meet him in Watchmaker’s Hill to find out what he’s offering you.&quot

- At certain stages of Family and Law, you’ll have to wait to receive this. When it arrives, it’ll come with an inbox Message:
&quotHaunted, fierce, desperate: she calls herself the Last Constable. Meet her in Ladybones Road to find out what she needs…&quot

Hm. Thanks. I strangely wasn’t aware I had spoken to the Constable. Was quite sure I hadn’t, must’ve remembered incorrectly. Thanks for all the help!