Book of Hidden Bodies... from where?

My recent efforts to join the Parthanaeum have been stumped, at least temporarily, by the requirement of 2 Books of Hidden Bodies. Unlike most of the other ‘PoSI Ingredients’, if you will, there seems to be no reliable way to produce them other than the expensive one - that is, collating one yourself from gossip and blackmail material by the pound.

The Wiki, at least, lists only two other ways to obtain one; A prize in the arena of Cryptobotany (which I do not yet consider myself ready to enter), and a rare success from an uncommon, Flit-only opportunity-card. Not too… useful. The strange thing is, I know for a fact that I’ve already gone through FOUR of the damn things, and they didn’t come from either of those sources - nor have I ever compiled my own.

Could all 4 have come from fate-locked content somewhere along the way? Or is there some other method to obtain one by that the Wiki has missed?

Oh… and if there IS no simpler method for collecting these, I’d appreciate any advice on how to efficiently collect the materials for compiling one.

Is it possible that the books you’ve used previously were Diaries of the Dead?

There may be fate-locked ways of getting more, but I can’t think of them off-hand. I’d generally recommend getting them from the side-streets and accept the associated grind.

As for the grind, this page: End Game Grinding - Echo Bazaar is old, but still an excellent reference.

If you are not exiled from the Court, go there and grind Life of the Mind (the first option) for Proscribed Materials and up convert from there. No other choices, and it gives you some Making Waves in the process.

The second option for Life of the Mind can provide a decent amount of Stolen Correspondence for Personal Recommendations too.

Don’t bother with Cryptobotany.

[quote=RandomWalker]Is it possible that the books you’ve used previously were Diaries of the Dead?

There may be fate-locked ways of getting more, but I can’t think of them off-hand. I’d generally recommend getting them from the side-streets and accept the associated grind.

As for the grind, this page: End Game Grinding - Echo Bazaar is old, but still an excellent reference.[/quote]

Thanks for that reference… as for your question, I think… a bit of both, actually? Now that I look closer at my expenditures, I think I’ve used just TWO Books of Hidden Bodies, to unlock the Scientific Expedition. And I think those might have come from the recent Monthly Exceptional Story, or whatever we’re calling them.

Either way, I guess there’s nothing for it but to grind, grind, and then grind some more!

Psssh, why would you want one, anyway? Clay Sedan Chairs, THAT’S the fashionable form of conveyance these days. And all you need for that is some strong-backed labor, which can be easily obtained through Wilmot’s End amongst other places… ;)

I preferred the personal touch of heading down to the Clay Quarters to hire porters directly.