Bonuses for... LOSING?

I just came across something odd. I was trying to get myself killed[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)] so I could try out a few things on the boat, and was doing so by choosing the “Find a great many spiders” in the “Eyes and Spiders” storylet (It was chancy difficulty for me). When my wounds finally hit 8, I got a special message.[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Where was that?[/color]

[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Spiders. More spiders. Even more spiders. Scuttling, leaping, biting, poisoning, running away. Thinking is hard. You see a great warm land, far across the Unterzee, but lit as if it were the Surface. An old place. A vital place. Where death is no more than an amusement. And then you’re back in a gutter, with a dozen spiders crawling over your legs. [/color]
[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Dangerous[/color][color=rgb(255, 255, 255)] is increasing… [?] Echo this [/color]
[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]You now have 3 x Memory of Distant Shores [?] Echo this [/color]
[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)] [/color][color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Wounds[/color][color=rgb(255, 255, 255)] has increased to 8 - The Spirit has Departed! [?] Echo this[/color]

[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]It seems that I got a new message, as well as some items, for managing to hit 8 on a menace for this particular storylet. Wonder how many other storylets have similar ways to win by losing?[/color]
edited by Urthdigger on 2/11/2012

Now that you mention it, I believe I once got memories of light from dying in a similar incident. I think it was the first time I had died from wounds from a normal story, so I didn’t know it was uncommon at the time and promptly forgot it. I can’t recall where it was, or even for certain that it happened. Alas, most of my deaths now are self-inflicted in my mad quest for the name; and there is no reward from that death or that quest.

Oh my, that is very interesting indeed. Not only for the weird gameplay mechanic, but also because of the text… I wonder how this will tie into theories about [spoiler][color=#ffffff]the Elder Country and the Presbyterate[/color][spoiler]?

I remember something like that happen… I wonder how they set that up.
edited by Fang on 2/12/2012

Ok, so it appears I was a little mistaken, or something. I’ve since seen this pop up a couple times even when it doesn’t cause my wounds to hit 8. So… a rare success upon failure or something?

Or just a rare success that includes a point of wounds, and your death was entirely a coincidence?

That’s possible. If you see it again, check if it says you succeeded or failed.

Yeah, just checked it. It is in fact a rare success. Well, that makes me feel a little better: I can focus on playing like I normally do, using second chances and modest difficulty to rack up tons of successes, instead of trying to fail.

Well, what a HELL of a Rare success! And I thought the Rare success on “The Duchess enjoys controversy” option of “Entry the Duchess’ salon” at the Shuttered Palace was bad -.-"

Three Memories of Distant Shores is a neat reward for a Docks storylet, though.

Well, yes, actually.