Boat name.

I want to name my Swift Zee-Clipper any suggestions?

Cutty Sark? Fall of Clyde? Termopylae? Termopylae sounds good :3

Zippy the Wonderboat

Monster Bait. That way you can ensure yourself a brave crew.

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-Even-In-Casual-Conversation

or

SWMNBNEICC

No suggestions from the fail better staff?

The beauty of this game is that it acts as a framework to let you tell your own stories, rather than simply dictating a story to you. An official response would take some of the fun out of the process, wouldn’t it.

Also, I’m reasonably certain they can’t be arsed.

Found the perfect name. Llamhigyn Y Dwr. A bucket of prisoners honey to anyone who can get the reference with out googling it.

Water Leaper is a very fitting name for a Swift Zee-Clipper I agree, and kudos for basing it on mythology which is one of my fav subjects
edited by Rune Hofseth on 1/15/2012

[quote=Branden Linton]Found the perfect name. Llamhigyn Y Dwr. A bucket of prisoners honey to anyone who can get the reference with out googling it.
[/quote]
… and for anyone who can pronounce it without hurting their tongue. ;-)

I may be wrong, I don’t have much experience with welsh words, but is it pronounced Lam-heen e der?

Ll = kh/ch (like in Scottish &quotloch&quot or German &quotAchtung&quot)
W = oo (like in &quotdoom&quot, not like in &quotdoor&quot)
Y = like the second a in &quotcatacomb&quot (meaning it’s almost not there)

So, &quotLlamhigyn Y Dwr&quot should be something like &quotKha-miggan-a-Door&quot
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

If I ever decide to pay the 10 Fate to do so, I plan to name my Swift Zee Clipper Bird of Paradise

Ll = kh/ch (like in Scottish “loch” or German “Achtung”)
W = oo (like in “doom”, not like in “door”)
Y = like the second a in “catacomb” (meaning it’s almost not there)

So, “Llamhigyn Y Dwr” should be something like “Kha-miggan-a-Door”
edited by Wieland Burandt on 1/15/2012[/quote]

One of the Failbetter team is Welsh, and a couple of the rest of us lived in Wales for a number of years, so I can’t resist sticking my oar in.

The welsh ‘w’ vowel is usually pronouced like the short ‘oo’ in ‘book’, rather than the long ‘oo’ in ‘doom’.

‘Ll’ isn’t pronounced like the Scottish ‘ch’. I’m not aware of any equivalent, or any easy way to render it in text. But you make the sound be putting the front part of the top of your tongue against the roof of your mouth and blowing air either side of it. Have a bucket ready. And face away from people.

Certain Welsh consonants should only be attempted by trained experts.

Ll = kh/ch (like in Scottish “loch” or German “Achtung”)
W = oo (like in “doom”, not like in “door”)
Y = like the second a in “catacomb” (meaning it’s almost not there)

So, “Llamhigyn Y Dwr” should be something like “Kha-miggan-a-Door”
edited by Wieland Burandt on 1/15/2012[/quote]

One of the Failbetter team is Welsh, and a couple of the rest of us lived in Wales for a number of years, so I can’t resist sticking my oar in.

The welsh ‘w’ vowel is usually pronouced like the short ‘oo’ in ‘book’, rather than the long ‘oo’ in ‘doom’.

‘Ll’ isn’t pronounced like the Scottish ‘ch’. I’m not aware of any equivalent, or any easy way to render it in text. But you make the sound be putting the front part of the top of your tongue against the roof of your mouth and blowing air either side of it. Have a bucket ready. And face away from people.

Certain Welsh consonants should only be attempted by trained experts.[/quote]

(Blowing air either side of it? O_o) I have no notion of Welsh language, but I went to Dublin once. Mind - still blown.

Welsh - looks interesting, sounds lovely, but the disconnect between the two baffles me.

[quote=Chris Gardiner]

Certain Welsh consonants should only be attempted by trained experts.[/quote]
Absolutely, I tried to go for the next best thing to explain it ;-)