Best way to get quirks for noman knows?

I recently acquired a Noman, and I’ve been trying to get to noman knows 15, but my stats have all fallen below 4. What are reliable ways to grind for quirks? anything that doesn’t require something with stats over 150 would be nice.

Doesn’t Laudanum make you addicted though?

Right now I’m Hunting Dangerous Prey in Wolfstack Docks for Subtle. If that isn’t to your liking I would recommend drinking some Laudanum until your Hedonist score rises - that quirk actually increases when you use it, and the main downside is a resource cost. It’s still good if you don’t want anything that relies on stats, however.

Edit: Laudanum addictions can be lost through the use of a card. It’s really not that bad. I’ve been addicted a couple times and while it can take a while if you’re using Laudanum to max out your Hedonist score I’ve always gotten rid of the addiction without too much trouble. Such habits only makes laudanum less effective, anyway. It’s not a menace unless you use laudanum all the time.

Sorry about the post shuffling, by the way! I wanted to be more specific about the Wolfstack Docks storylet, and don’t care for the edited tag.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/14/2015

Laudanum addiction also requires you to be PoSI otherwise you can drink as much as you want with no downsides.

The City Vices card “An Entanglement With an Old Friend” offers both Hedonist AND Forceful if you choose “Absolutely. But you’ll take payment in kind.” It costs 40 jade, but that’s a pittance.

Diligent work for God’s Editors offers Austere without lowering any other quirks as well.

Ah! I might finally have use for that old beggar! Thanks!

Personally, I feed my Noman my lower traits (for example, austere) which is easily raised through a conflict card. I did also feed it most of my Heartless, which was very high, but can be raised again through spirifing (fate-locked)

[quote=Toran]The City Vices card &quotAn Entanglement With an Old Friend&quot offers both Hedonist AND Forceful if you choose &quotAbsolutely. But you’ll take payment in kind.&quot It costs 40 jade, but that’s a pittance.

Diligent work for God’s Editors offers Austere without lowering any other quirks as well.[/quote]
Interesting. Is there a cap on how much of those quirks you can get with the City Vices card?

If you still have access to the The Empress’ Court, you can begin work on something and under the storylet &quotReligion and Art&quot pick &quotMortification of the flesh!&quot which gives you 5cp inspired and more importantly 2cp austere (to a maximum of level 10).

Update: The option appears to have been changed within the last day or so so that you now lose 2cp hedonist in addition to gaining 2cp austere. :(
edited by dreamwilds on 1/16/2015

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Toran]The City Vices card &quotAn Entanglement With an Old Friend&quot offers both Hedonist AND Forceful if you choose &quotAbsolutely. But you’ll take payment in kind.&quot It costs 40 jade, but that’s a pittance.

Diligent work for God’s Editors offers Austere without lowering any other quirks as well.[/quote]
Interesting. Is there a cap on how much of those quirks you can get with the City Vices card?[/quote]

Entanglement (and a bunch of other similar cards) increase quirks to 5 (“has not increased because it is higher than 4”).
Most things (even cards) that increase quirks past 5 also decrease some other quirk.
God’s editors increase austere to 10, and doesn’t decrease anything.
Increasing magnanimous past 5 is (for me) easiest through gifts of admiration.
I think it’s necessary to choose between subtle and forceful, one of them can go to 10 but the other only to 5.
If everything else fails, Hunter’s Keep can raise hedonist, daring and melancholy to 10.
I got heartless and ruthless to 10 while sailing the zee (then I had to restore magnanimous).
Steadfast - either make newspaper editions “brimming with truth and wisdom” (also raises austere, both to 10), or get your horoscope cast as Lovers and then keep playing the other Shoshana card (they only appear in the carnival).

What xKiv said, although you can also get Steadfast to 9 through the Soft-Hearted Widow. But that costs 500 glim per point.

Is there any benefit to raising Noman Knows?

Even story-wise, besides getting the text from each action on the Noman’s Progress card? The wiki page for Noman Knows only links to Noman endings which doesn’t suggest that it unlocks any new cards…does it?
edited by ericjs on 1/7/2016

If you don’t, the noman gives you a pittance, though the text is interesting. if you raise it towards a certain level, when it reaches it, it produces a rather valuable item. I don’t intend to waste my Lacre on it, but that’s not because it’s not worth doing, just because i don’t have enough pails to go around between all the objectives, and there’s higher priorities on my to-do list.

Oh I’d missed that The Sense of an Ending needs 15 Noman Knows to unlock according to the wiki. So is that it?

I find that my Ambition choice for Noman Knows pays much more in goods than it costs me, so I prefer that route. But all Ambitions may not be alike: mine is Nemesis.

– Mal

My Ambition is Heart’s Desire and through the relevant branch I gained 1 x Scrap of Incendiary Gossip and 1 x Intriguing Snippet at no cost other than the 5 actions. I also gained Noman Knows, about which this man knows absolutely nothing. In fact, I’ve already proved myself unwise enough to create the Noman at the earliest opportunity, instead for waiting for tomorrow, when I might create him for the same price but after the arrival of my Time, the Healer, thus gaining five extra days of life (for all that matters). I’ve always thought of the increasing Noman price as something of a penalty, rather than a trade-off for something beneficial, yet it turns out that the latest you create him the better. By the time I realised that, of course, it was too late already.

Only if you are aiming for the tattoo, though. If you are aiming for an elemental secret then it would likely be cheaper to get it early.

Noman is useful for two mutually exclusive goals and optimising for each of the two possible outcomes comes from two different sets of considerations.

Would anyone mind commenting on the wiki page for Time the Healer:
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Time,_the_Healer
with how much their Noman’s Friend decreases with each Time the Healer? We don’t have too much information on the range. Even if the number you got was within the range, that’s great! Don’t worry, we can use that to help find what the range might be!

NOTE: Including the date you got Time, the Healer would also be incredibly useful!
edited by Cecil on 1/7/2016

If you have a very high quirk and very little of its counterpart, you could repeatedly use the high quirk then increase it again through a quirk polisher. Though that either costs a fair amount of echoes each time or requires a trip to a menace area for the exotica.

Note that the Ambition option on the Noman card gives only 1 change point of Noman Knows, while the quirk-eating options give 2 change points (except Hedonist, I think). I tend to use the quirk-eaters until I get up to about Noman Knows 10-12 and then only use the Ambition option until the end, just to be on the safe side.