Best way to get a magnificent diamond?

I just need one more Bejewelled Lens for my zubmarine (and then I move on to trying to grind whirring contraptions/strong backed labor…) and I have the materials except for the one darn Magnificent Diamond. I used up a good 2000 cryptic clues trying to get a rare success on buying flawed diamonds, and wasted almost all my whispered secrets getting archaeologist supplies for an expedition that I failed, so I have no idea if I would have gotten the wooden mask that time or not. Since I kicked the master jewel thief to the curb a long time ago, I’m pretty sure these are my only two options to get a Magnificent Diamond. As I wait for my actions to refresh, which method do you think is better for trying to get one?

If you don’t mind spending Fate, you could raise your nightmares to a substantial level and get the Merry Gentleman to give you one.

I resorted to this once out of desperation.

How about starting to grind now for contraptions and labor (that will take you more than 10 days) while waiting for an implausible penance. You’ll need 7 criminals favors. I am pretty sure you can get the penance in 10 days (and get all favors by then. you can achieve them from several sources). It’s a pretty decent source[color=rgb(62, 62, 62)].[/color]

Depends. Spending Cryptic Clues is a much better option than hoping for the right result on Expeditions, to be sure. Make liberal use of the cards “The mechanics of progress” (everywhere) and the “A strange sort of prank” option on “The Neath’s Mysteries” (at your lodgings) to gain a lot of Clues, too.

The Neath’s Mysteries is a social action but it’s so profitable for both parties that no one will refuse it.

Spending the Clues for the conversion is also a net gain of 1.4 echoes per action, so you’re still making money – though you may not care about that. If you don’t, then going for the Implausible Penance option Gonen outlined is probably better, especially if you have a Gang of Hoodlums to help speed the acquisition of Favours along.

The contraptions alone took me about three weeks.

Anyway, I would probably do as Gonen suggests. Under the new system, get 7 favors: criminals. I know you get them from the Criminals faction card and from your Gang of Hoodlums, I don’t know where else. Then, when you have 7, wait till you draw the Criminals reward card (An Implausible Penance), and select the option Pugilism and Politics, which will use all 7. Then beat up the Minister. It’s a high dangerous check, so you might fail. If you do fail, you’ll lose only 1 criminals favor, not all of them. If you succeed, you’ll get a magnificent diamond or two. This method is random, in that you have to wait for the cards to appear; but it’s reliable in that there’s always a diamond waiting at the end here if you meet the check.

Or, you could simply spam the Thieves’ cache expedition, as it’s only 10 actions and 10 supplies, with a chance at the wooden mask unpredictable treasure. But it’s highly random, of course.

And then there’s just spending more cryptic clues hoping for more rare successes. Which is also random.

[quote=Fatestorm]The contraptions alone took me about three weeks.

Anyway, I would probably do as Gonen suggests. Under the new system, get 7 favors: criminals. I know you get them from the Criminals faction card and from your Gang of Hoodlums, I don’t know where else. Then, when you have 7, wait till you draw the Criminals reward card (An Implausible Penance), and select the option Pugilism and Politics, which will use all 7. Then beat up the Minister. It’s a high dangerous check, so you might fail. If you do fail, you’ll lose only 1 criminals favor, not all of them. If you succeed, you’ll get a magnificent diamond or two. This method is random, in that you have to wait for the cards to appear; but it’s reliable in that there’s always a diamond waiting at the end here if you meet the check.

Or, you could simply spam the Thieves’ cache expedition, as it’s only 10 actions and 10 supplies, with a chance at the wooden mask unpredictable treasure. But it’s highly random, of course.

And then there’s just spending more cryptic clues hoping for more rare successes. Which is also random.[/quote]
or, if you’re after master’s blood, run the other expeditions in the vain hope of airaing. i’ve had over 60 magnificent diamonds pass through my hands that way.

You can also get Criminals Favours via:

• The Visit card, by visiting the Forger and chatting with him (if you have his acquaintance).[/li][li]The Cheery Man card, if you’re aligned with him.[/li][li]The Enforcer’s reward (if this is your profession).

If you’re going for expeditions I suggest converting Glim to Connected Docks and using that to buy supplies. If I remember correctly, that’s the cheapest method of acquiring them.

it is, though whispered secrets are nearly as good and generally their price is more in echoes than actions.

Another two expeditions, and I got my wooden mask! I wish I hadn’t wasted so many cryptic clues and just stuck with the expeditions, but I sold some flawed diamonds so I guess it’s worth it. Thank you for the tip on converting glim to Docks Connections, that was an immense help in going on these expeditions!

Also, I discovered another source for whirring contraptions that I was unaware of – Aspiring Zee Captains at Wolfstack Docks! It’s expensive, but…