Best way to acquire Comprehensive Bribes?

After 5 bad luck in a row, I have run out of all my romantic items accumulated over the years, and are unable to create more bribes to get my yacht. Time to start from scratch again, such is my life.

The standard option looks bad: I can only get 1 echo worth of honey per action, which means I’ll need 60 actions to get 3000 honey, turn them in to 630 notions, turn half into 60 visions, and half into 6 Love stories. More than 70 actions in all.

Or I could by a lesser ship (or a ticket) to Polythreme and get 12 notions/action, but then I wouldn’t know how much is enough (damn you, luck), So I’ll either create too many and waste time, or too few and have to make another trip (waste more time).

Or I could try my luck at converting items, but I don’t know the chance of rare success. Any ideas?

Or I could try the Fidgeting Writer, which means even more pure luck challenges…

So, anyone got any advice? Did I miss something or miscalculated something?

I think you can get Comprehensive Bribes through the War of Assassins (unless they’ve nerfed it again while I wasn’t looking). The carousel does take a little while, but it is reliable.

Wiki says you can only get curiosities, use of villains, bazaar permits or researches now…

The in-game options say that as well

A Rival in Power
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain Bazaar Permits.

A Former Lover
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain a Collection of Curiosities.

A Rival of Letters
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain much Collated Research.

A Ghost Mantled in Shadow
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain the Use of Villains.

edited by zbr308 on 11/6/2014

You need 60 echoes worth of items to create a bribe in the sidestreets, or 300 echoes worth of items for five of them. So if you go to Polythreme, you’ll need about 3,000 Romantic Notions.

The slow Romantic Notion -> Vision of the Surface conversion also awards a Comprehensive Bribe on a rare success, so if you’re going to be converting 3,000 notions it might be worth a shot to try. You’ll waste 27 actions and 60 bohemian CP converting the slow way for thirty shots at a rare success, and you should hit at least once since it’s supposed to happen 4-5% of the time. You could even only grind 2,400 notions and you should hit the rare success, but then you’d need to zail back to Polythreme or grind honey if you get unlucky.

Finally, another option is to grind the Fidgeting Writer up to a Lens of Black Glass and then smash it before chancing the final step. This will get you a Searing Enigma, a Primeval Hint, a Bazaar Permit, and a Comprehensive Bribe in about 67 actions and 55 echoes worth of FW material on average. If you need to grind FW materials it’s probably not the most efficient way to get bribes, and FW can be maddeningly frustrating, but you do get all sorts of other goodies too.

Hmm, Fidgeting Writer sounds like a good deal… 67 actions for net 70 echoes + a Bribe? I do have FW stuff around here…

All I could hope is my luck doesn’t betray me again…

[quote=Sackville]You need 60 echoes worth of items to create a bribe in the sidestreets, or 300 echoes worth of items for five of them. So if you go to Polythreme, you’ll need about 3,000 Romantic Notions.

The slow Romantic Notion -> Vision of the Surface conversion also awards a Comprehensive Bribe on a rare success, so if you’re going to be converting 3,000 notions it might be worth a shot to try. You’ll waste 27 actions and 60 bohemian CP converting the slow way for thirty shots at a rare success, and you should hit at least once since it’s supposed to happen 4-5% of the time. You could even only grind 2,400 notions and you should hit the rare success, but then you’d need to zail back to Polythreme or grind honey if you get unlucky.

Finally, another option is to grind the Fidgeting Writer up to a Lens of Black Glass and then smash it before chancing the final step. This will get you a Searing Enigma, a Primeval Hint, a Bazaar Permit, and a Comprehensive Bribe in about 67 actions and 55 echoes worth of FW material on average. If you need to grind FW materials it’s probably not the most efficient way to get bribes, and FW can be maddeningly frustrating, but you do get all sorts of other goodies too.[/quote]

I would not rely on the Fidgeting Writer. It is unpredictable.

[quote=zbr308]Hmm, Fidgeting Writer sounds like a good deal… 67 actions for net 70 echoes + a Bribe? I do have FW stuff around here…

All I could hope is my luck doesn’t betray me again…

[quote=Sackville]You need 60 echoes worth of items to create a bribe in the sidestreets, or 300 echoes worth of items for five of them. So if you go to Polythreme, you’ll need about 3,000 Romantic Notions.

Finally, another option is to grind the Fidgeting Writer up to a Lens of Black Glass and then smash it before chancing the final step. This will get you a Searing Enigma, a Primeval Hint, a Bazaar Permit, and a Comprehensive Bribe in about 67 actions and 55 echoes worth of FW material on average. If you need to grind FW materials it’s probably not the most efficient way to get bribes, and FW can be maddeningly frustrating, but you do get all sorts of other goodies too.[/quote][/quote]

[quote=zbr308]Wiki says you can only get curiosities, use of villains, bazaar permits or researches now…

The in-game options say that as well

A Rival in Power
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain Bazaar Permits.

A Former Lover
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain a Collection of Curiosities.

A Rival of Letters
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain much Collated Research.

A Ghost Mantled in Shadow
One who is fortunate and successful here may gain the Use of Villains.

edited by zbr308 on 11/6/2014[/quote]

Yeah war of assassins was changed a while back to not provide comprehensive bribes.

I’ve found just buying them to be the most convenient.