Best items to buy?

I’m finally at the point where I have most of the cheaper gear from the bazaar, and I’m saving up for the more expensive items that cost hundreds of echoes. What’s a good order to purchase those big ticket items?

Obviously I can compare stats, but some items are necessary for storylets or unlock cards. And some items may be made obsolete by quest rewards before long.

I believe no high level equipment is NECESSARY for storylets… Rysiek for example only has a Derringer due to being a cop.[li]

No, as in some equipment unlocks options- you don’t need to equip it, but you need to have it. For instance, a certain card will only show up if you have a sulky bat.[/li][li]None of the storylets are good late-game that way, though.[/li][li]
[/li][li]Don’t have a midnight matriarch and skuttering squad at the same time.
[/li]
edited by Grenem on 3/13/2016

I recommend not buying ANYTHING! Hoard EVERYTHING and then sell it all much, much later. Trust me, sitting on a pile of cash is much more satisfying than having some gear that, for the most part, isn’t even necessary. Plus, that way you’ll be able to spend money freely if you find out you actually need to buy something specific.
edited by Psyche Labyrinth on 3/13/2016

In my opinion, The best equipment to buy when your starting to have a surplus of funds are hats, gloves or boots that have a Bizarre Dreaded or Respectable quality (the are better BDR equipment for the other categories) and check the item of your tier 5 profession. After that get equipment of what ever stat you need.

The three slots for BDR equipment you will have to buy (assuming you’re already someone who needs to care about notability) are Hat, Gloves (oops! Forgot this) and Boots. Everything else can be gained in game in some fashion (or through fate).

(Eventually you’ll almost certainly want an Overgoat or its older brothers. But you don’t need it up from for +2 BDR as there’s another way to obtain that. )
edited by Parelle on 3/14/2016

[quote=Psyche Labyrinth]I recommend not buying ANYTHING! Hoard EVERYTHING and then sell it all much, much later. Trust me, sitting on a pile of cash is much more satisfying than having some gear that, for the most part, isn’t even necessary. Plus, that way you’ll be able to spend money freely if you find out you actually need to buy something specific.
edited by Psyche Labyrinth on 3/13/2016[/quote]

That’s good advice. But part of the temptation of getting new gear is just to have a stylin’ wardrobe though, even if it’s not the wisest strategy.

Seconding the recommendations to buy a Bizarre or Dreaded hat (if you don’t already have one via being a Glassman), plus the pair of lenguals, and the kingscale boots. BDR is important. Also, you’ll want a Semiotic Monocle for Christmas (to stare at lacre pails).

Probably forgetting some stuff.

For most of the other items, it depends on what you either want, have a use for, or what helps you adjust your stats to either maximum or into the perfect 90% challenge grinding range.
edited by thedeadlymoose on 3/14/2016

The cheaper exceptional hat (forgot the name) and the grey battered coat can be transformed in Polythreme, so if you plan on going there, bring those. If you plan on specializing into a tier 2 POSI, then you also need a item depending on the specialization, but there are better stat option for the persuasive and shadowy options.