Becoming Eminently Respectable

I’d like to continue with the Ambition: Light Fingers storyline. I’d fended off the horrors of the Zee, landed on her encampment, and tracked her down, only to find I need Respectable 7 in order to get anything out of her. Dejected, I slinked back off to London.

Currently, I have a maximum Respectable of 2; +1 from my Night-Trimmed Frock Coat, and another +1 from my Appreciation Society.What’s the most cost efficient way for me to get to 7?

Membership of God’s Editors is +4 Respectable and fairly easy to get. After that, there’s the Parthaneum or the Respectable Landau. Your other options are the Majestic Pleasure Yacht or the Consonant Violin. &quotCost efficient&quot is certainly not true for the latter two.
edited by Theus on 3/13/2015

Well, the Violin is relatively easy to grind, so long as you’re Closest to the Great Game (or Bohemians? I think), have access to the Forgotten Quarter, the Shuttered Palace, and the University, still have your soul, and have the Master Thief quality. Then you can get all the Counting the Days you need without a single Opportunity Card and only have to wait around for the Secrets and Spending Card when you’ve finished grinding to 14.

Got my Consonant Violin in about two days doing that, and most of the wait was for the right Opp Card to get five Marks of Credit…

Can get a +2 companion from Polythreme (allow a day to get out there (buy an exceptional hat first) and back again). Can get a +2 weapon from Iron Republic (another zee voyage, I know). You’ll have to buy the other gear from the bazaar, I think, but they will save a LOT of time and money in comparison to grinding notability with low BDR.

Try to get BDR in every slot before you begin grinding. It may seem like a massive up-front cost, but it will save you in the long run.

[quote=Theus]Membership of God’s Editors is +4 Respectable and fairly easy to get. After that, there’s the Parthaneum or the Respectable Landau. Your other options are the Majestic Pleasure Yacht or the Consonant Violin. &quotCost efficient&quot is certainly not true for the latter two.
edited by Theus on 3/13/2015[/quote]
In that case, what’s a decent way of getting Connected: Church up? My current score is absolutely dismal. I already have plenty of Connected: Bohemian, being an author, and getting the candles shouldn’t be too hard.

If you don’t need it higher than 20, buying a Reliquary from the bazaar, whispering secrets to it, and then selling it back when you’re sure that you’re done with it isn’t bad from a cost perspective, and isn’t card-dependant.

Reliquary costs 40 echoes, sells for 35. 75 CP of connected: church takes 3 actions and 150 whispered secrets (grind amber from burning stuff for Jasper and Frank in Mahogany Hall, trade for secrets with the Tiger Keeper in the first coil of the labyrinth). It only works if your connected is between 10 and 19 inclusive.

Go to your home, and choose the go to church option.

Slow but steady, and drops scandal, too!

[quote=OctaviaCrowe]Go to your home, and choose the go to church option.

Slow but steady, and drops scandal, too![/quote]

If you go this route, you can use a Modish Bonnet and Scarlet Stockings of Dubious Origin to maintain your Scandal without spending actions.

If you have no scandal, equip one of these, then unequip it. Scandal 1 will stick. Equip both, and you’re at Scandal 3. Play the storylet, unequip both, and re-equip. Repeat.

[quote=OctaviaCrowe]Go to your home, and choose the go to church option.

Slow but steady, and drops scandal, too![/quote]

Unfortunately only an option if you actually have scandal, and gives 1cp church per successful action, so you’re averaging about 0.66 cp / action, at a guess, and assuming that your scandal is free.

Let’s say that you can get 150 whispered secrets in 2 turns (this is a bad rate of return, and pyromania / tiger keeper is better than that, but I can’t be bothered to work out the actual numbers). 3 turns to cash in those secrets for 75 cp. Total: 15 cp / action. You can get from 0 to 10 faster than that at the Big Top, but otherwise it’s the best option, cards included, that the wiki offers.

Conflict cards are pretty fast, although you need to actually draw them. Church has three though, which helps there.