Balmoral

New station, two options for the route.

Discussion go here.

Can you do the detour and the route? It seems so, but I wanna make sure.

Alas, you cannot.

Here is what I’ve found so far: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t9Y3ebcWSQXFgf9-gzeTRUSKiVMEsfpcUDYkEHBLE4c/edit?usp=drivesdk
Curiously, there is no work stoppage after the first set of tracks are laid, at least if you go through Parabola.
I’ll add more to it as time and actions allow. Someone else should add this to the wiki, as all I have is a phone, and I don’t know what the standards are.
edited by fungo maddens on 10/8/2020

Alas, you cannot.[/quote]

Aww, I like the idea of a detour through Parabola, but I wanna build up the mountain to see the view.

Never mind. I was so looking to role playing seeing the lights of London to the East, Hell’s light to the west, and even the Underzee but that’s not possible. :(
edited by Winthropx on 10/8/2020

I’ve seen from the Discord that the non-Parabolan route allows you to employ Hellworms to burrow through the mountainside, so it may be worth being a week behind to see that come to fruition.

I got two questions:
First, does this station unlock anything for the train IE upgrades like luxury?
And second, was there a hold up for anyone? I blizted through all four track lays.

Both planning choices result in you having to lay tracks through hills anyway.

Expect to grind a crap load of bread and 'splosives before you can even have the meeting to build the station.

Picking the Parabolan route does not appear to enable any new content in the Dome of Scales, Occupied.

Can someone else check if the Viric Jungle opens any new options? After all, the Viscountess is very much in favour of this - or to be more precise, having a train that can bring stuff into Parabola.
edited by Rostygold on 10/9/2020

PROTIP VARY IMPORT ANT

After TtH, you can claim another free board meeting, but only before you build the station. So get approval for the station, claim the meeting, and then build the station.

I checked yesterday after running the route, no new text for either the Mayor or the Commissioner.

I’m in Balmoral now. Judging by the wiki, I’m not the first. There’s a lot of spycraft-looking things.

I am, however, the first to re-encounter my good old naive friend who I sent packing from Jericho. Looks like I have another opportunity to invite him to the Board.

I am a bit annoyed that they released it without warning after I already used up my weekly meeting. I could have been in Balmoral by now…

[quote=PSGarak]PROTIP VARY IMPORT ANT

After TtH, you can claim another free board meeting, but only before you build the station. So get approval for the station, claim the meeting, and then build the station.

I checked yesterday after running the route, no new text for either the Mayor or the Commissioner.

I’m in Balmoral now. Judging by the wiki, I’m not the first. There’s a lot of spycraft-looking things.

I am, however, the first to re-encounter my good old naive friend who I sent packing from Jericho. Looks like I have another opportunity to invite him to the Board.[/quote]

He’s different now too! He has different sympathies now. Still Hell, but now Revolutionaries too.

I was in the middle of creating a painting of the Balmoral until the beginning, where I inadvertently came across a Fervent Widow and was conscripted to deliver her painting, which I did. After that, I tried to complete my original painting and raised the quality up to 7, but there is no actual option for me to submit it in London. Is it just a bug that will be patched eventually, or do I need to make a new painting. If I do need a new painting, how would I be able to do so? Submitted a bug report to failbetter and am waiting for feedback.

As long as your railway venture is still at 70 or lower (equals to: Balmoral isn´t built yet), you should have an option from the board secretary in Moloch Street to reset the meeting delay.

Seems even to be grindable, if you prefer to do a carousel of inviting Mr. Tentacled-bag-of-gold into the board, then throwing him out again, convincing the board to give two shareholder dividends, and repeating via the secretary.

Not sure if that´s fine from a roleplaying-perspective…

BRB Grinding 12 Hillmovers!

Darn. I lost 45 Casing because I was trying to blow through Balmoral’s secrets and didn’t check the requirements. Guess getting that insufferably distant Notability 15 will be more of a struggle this week without as many Tales of Terror to burn. Also is anyone feeling more loyal to the crown just out of contrariness to how cavalier the dissidents are about making you do favors for them for no compensation? &quotShow the Veteran Privy Councillor this controversial painting of a Master in a kilt! No don’t ask questions why, just do it!&quot

[quote=Rostygold]Picking the Parabolan route does not appear to enable any new content in the Dome of Scales, Occupied.

Can someone else check if the Viric Jungle opens any new options? After all, the Viscountess is very much in favour of this - or to be more precise, having a train that can bring stuff into Parabola.
edited by Rostygold on 10/9/2020[/quote]

Just checked, there don’t seem to be any new choices in the Viric Jungle.

Also, did anyone actually use those Hellworms to go through the mountains?
edited by Hattington on 10/10/2020

[quote=Hattington]Darn. I lost 45 Casing because I was trying to blow through Balmoral’s secrets and didn’t check the requirements. Guess getting that insufferably distant Notability 15 will be more of a struggle this week without as many Tales of Terror to burn. Also is anyone feeling more loyal to the crown just out of contrariness to how cavalier the dissidents are about making you do favors for them for no compensation? &quotShow the Veteran Privy Councillor this controversial painting of a Master in a kilt! No don’t ask questions why, just do it!&quot

[quote=Rostygold]Picking the Parabolan route does not appear to enable any new content in the Dome of Scales, Occupied.

edited by Rostygold on 10/9/2020[/quote]

Just checked, there don’t seem to be any new choices in the Viric Jungle.

Also, did anyone actually use those Hellworms to go through the mountains?
edited by Hattington on 10/10/2020[/quote]
Yes, I did! You have to get the Board to sign off on it, but that didn’t turn out to be too big a deal. Don’t recall what the cost was, sorry.

Here are the two pieces from my Journal that relate to using the Hellworms:

A law furnace for a belly08 October, 1898(Moloch Street)
&quotYou should know, there are a number of people on my team agitating to bring in a Titanic Stoneworm to burrow through. They will likely be disappointed if the Railway fails to provide one.&quot
On further inquiry, Furnace explains that it is received wisdom among the Tracklayers that the entire Neath was carved out by a race of stone-digesting worms the size of battleships, that these worms still exist in caverns underneath the Bazaar, and that the Railway, or perhaps you personally, have trained them to obey commands written in the Correspondence.

&quotYou’re a bit of a legend in the Union,&quot Furnace concludes. &quotThere are all sorts of stories of your exploits going about. I thought the whole story was nonsense, but I had no idea such a thing as Hellworms exist.&quot

Three fiery days in a camp08 October, 1898(Moloch Street)
The Hellworms work very quickly: they swallow rock, and the law furnaces within convert it into something that will not be in your way. They leave a tunnel through the mountain whose walls glow too hot to touch, that are still molten. The art of Hellworm management is to encourage them in the proper direction, and then to be a great distance away.
When it is all over, though! You break through, and find yourself looking out over a hilly but passable terrain. The rest of the way to Balmoral should be easy.

Hattington said: &quotDarn. I lost 45 Casing because I was trying to blow through Balmoral’s secrets and didn’t check the requirements. Guess getting that insufferably distant Notability 15 will be more of a struggle this week without as many Tales of Terror to burn. Also is anyone feeling more loyal to the crown just out of contrariness to how cavalier the dissidents are about making you do favors for them for no compensation? &quotShow the Veteran Privy Councillor this controversial painting of a Master in a kilt! No don’t ask questions why, just do it!&quot

I did think that was strange. But I did it anyway because my character has little fondness for the Empress, none for the Masters, and I wanted to see what came of doing so.

Now I know. You get the chance to make the Fervent Widow Castellan of Balmoral! (And some amusing flavor text describing the reactions you get when it’s revealed.) Haven’t decided yet if I’ll make her Castellan, though I’m inclined to; she’s more like the real Balmoral locals than that stuffy Highlander…

edited by Catherine Raymond on 10/10/2020