August's Exceptional Story: The Attendants

When written, an event involving three collected trinkets will appear, consuming them. You will play through a bonus story and probably get one of the rare 312 echo value treasures from it.

1 Like

I have to say this wasn’t a bad story at all. Most assuredly not my favorite as for the ending choices there really didn’t seem much reason to talk everyone into leaving or sabotage. At least for me.

Out of curiosity did anyone else do the rite of the open mouth on the Ushabti in order to get an accurate answer?

1 Like

So does anyone know how the decision flags work? Is the only way to have them stay to exit early without talking to anyone? Is there anyway to actually get &quot___'s Decision&quot instead of &quot__'s Decision 2&quot without failing a persuasive check (which would be impossible for me)?

Perhaps the ushabti is hidden under our qualities so the Masters won’t find it.

1 Like

Did anyone have the Assistant translate? I asked the Antiquarian, if anyone wants to see those results.

And what’s this about having the Ushabti do it? I only had two options open, for the Antiquarian’s inaccurate-but-trustworthy and Assistant’s accurate-but-untrustworthy translations.

If you got the Ushabti, you can force a ritual upon the Assistant. The translation will be both accurate and trustworthy - the servant is borrowing her voice to translate. She gets the voice back at the end, and is a bit pissed at you but otherwise fine. I have echoed the conversation if you are interested.

As for the scholars, I found no reason to persuade them otherwise either. They are obviously friends with each other and the Doting Antiquarian, and friends should stay together. They know exactly what they are choosing and given that they are denizens of dark, bat-infested Fallen London, I do not immediately see the flaw in their choice.

All in all, I am happy I did not have to make an impossible decision which is often the case in ES. Just enjoyed the writing, the lorefest and the new mechanics.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 7/28/2017

1 Like

Issue with that is that I don’t think everybody HAS the Ushabti. I don’t think acquiring it is a required part of the story. That’d also explain why it’s chilling in our Story qualities instead of, say, in our Curiosity items. So I’m not sure what the Exceptional Item is this time… maybe it’s in an epilogue card? Except no such card was mentioned in the end of the story, and nobody here’s mentioned such a card… Worrying.
edited by ReusedNPC on 7/28/2017

I don’t think you just need the ushabti. I am fairly sure that you also need to have been into the library before the dinner at the right airs combination to find the ritual that shows you how to do it.

1 Like

So I heard from the Bookseller…and that’s it. Nothing is happening at the House of Chimes, and nothing is coming up on the Opportunity Cards. There doesn’t seem to BE an event in my game.

I don’t think you just need the ushabti. I am fairly sure that you also need to have been into the library before the dinner at the right airs combination to find the ritual that shows you how to do it.[/quote]

I think I’m seconding this. I got the ushabti (EDIT: and unlocked all of the gates), but I wasn’t even aware that the ritual is a thing until I’m checking this thread. Completely missed it, somehow. (I’m mildly disappointed, although thankfully the Courteous Assistant’s translation isn’t actually that bad after I compared echoes.)

Going off a tangent, from a story standpoint, helping the Adoratrice both feels like the nice and the cool thing to do to me. A place to hide and seek refuge if and when things go bad in London! The possibility to reunite her and the Duchess at a later date! (They don’t secretly hate each other, do they?) A chance to tick off the Masters just from the sheer Egyptian past and aesthetics of this new city! I hope we get to find out what’s happening to this place from time to time, even though progress is probably always going to be minuscule.
edited by Dungerson on 7/28/2017

1 Like

Season of Ruins storylet is where you want to look.

So…the House of Feathers?

So, what happens if you do convince everyone to leave? And is there any appreciable difference between the leave option that requires all the decision flags and the one that doesn’t require any? Can I talk someone back into staying if I convince them to leave?

1 Like

The option that doesn’t require decision flags is just you leaving on your own, though I’m not sure if you get different text if you convince some to leave then take that option.

I don’t think you just need the ushabti. I am fairly sure that you also need to have been into the library before the dinner at the right airs combination to find the ritual that shows you how to do it.[/quote]

I think I’m seconding this. I got the ushabti (EDIT: and unlocked all of the gates), but I wasn’t even aware that the ritual is a thing until I’m checking this thread. Completely missed it, somehow. (I’m mildly disappointed, although thankfully the Courteous Assistant’s translation isn’t actually that bad after I compared echoes.)[/quote]
I had the Ushabti and had been into the library before dinner but there wasn’t a ritual option for me. I think I got an alternate success when exploring the drawing room (or maybe it was the bedroom?) so maybe there were alt successes for every room? (Though I don’t recall ones for other rooms despite being forced to spend ~15 actions before getting the right Airs for the last room.) Maybe you need to have the Ushabti and have visited the library before dinner and gotten the alt success?

In the end I think it’s more a matter of probing their own feelings, as is the wish of the Antiquarian. Despite being tempted to just leave everyone to rebuild that nifty temple, I talked to everyone and all except the Courteous Assistant (who was just unreasonably piqued over my briefly binding a portion of her essence to a simulacrum) decided to leave with me.

In addition to having very high Persuasive, I also worked up to rank 10 in Friendship of the Company. Not sure if that was used for the final choices, but if it wasn’t I have no idea what other purpose it served in this story!

Anyway, here’s the echos for anyone curious: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/J.%20Ward%20Dunn?fromEchoId=12189154
edited by Pnakotic on 7/28/2017

[quote=Optimatum]
I had the Ushabti and had been into the library before dinner but there wasn’t a ritual option for me. I think I got an alternate success when exploring the drawing room (or maybe it was the bedroom?) so maybe there were alt successes for every room?[/quote]
There are, I got all but one of them. Here are the two library ones:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis?fromEchoId=12175028

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis?fromEchoId=12175112

[quote=Optimatum]
Maybe you need to have the Ushabti and have visited the library before dinner and gotten the alt success?[/quote]

Nope, I didn’t have the ushabti at that point and I still got it. I don’t even think it is possible to have the ushabti at that point in the story.

I really enjoyed the first part of the story, with the party and the hunt. I thought it was well written and did a great job of making me feel something sinister was afoot. I was trying to guess the Assistant’s agenda and what betrayal they had planned against me and possibly perpetrated against my former lover. I was a little disappointed that it was all relatively benign.

As to the fates I chose, I also saw no reason to sabotage, but I did convince everyone I could to leave. Mostly for selfish reasons, in that a few felt like potential lovers and to spite the assistant. I tried to get her to leave as well for the reason on the card- she seemed like too much of a threat to me to leave unsupervised.

In the end I think it’s more a matter of probing their own feelings, as is the wish of the Antiquarian. Despite being tempted to just leave everyone to rebuild that nifty temple, I talked to everyone and all except the Courteous Assistant (who was just unreasonably piqued over my briefly binding a portion of her essence to a simulacrum) decided to leave with me.

In addition to having very high Persuasive, I also worked up to rank 10 in Friendship of the Company. Not sure if that was used for the final choices, but if it wasn’t I have no idea what other purpose it served in this story!

Anyway, here’s the echos for anyone curious: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/J.%20Ward%20Dunn?fromEchoId=12189154
edited by Pnakotic on 7/28/2017[/quote]

Thanks for the echo. It seems there’s no appreciable difference. I decided to just leave without trying to convince anyone and the result was exactly the same, sans the very first sentence about not leaving alone. Now I’m just curious as to what that OTHER flag filled option was all about. I would think the regular leave option would be sufficient if you failed to convince everyone. Not sure what the point is of having another option for specifically failing to convince each person. Unless I misunderstood what those flags meant.

[quote=Akernis][quote=Optimatum]
I had the Ushabti and had been into the library before dinner but there wasn’t a ritual option for me. I think I got an alternate success when exploring the drawing room (or maybe it was the bedroom?) so maybe there were alt successes for every room?[/quote]
There are, I got all but one of them. Here are the two library ones:

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis?fromEchoId=12175028

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis?fromEchoId=12175112

[quote=Optimatum]
Maybe you need to have the Ushabti and have visited the library before dinner and gotten the alt success?[/quote]

Nope, I didn’t have the ushabti at that point and I still got it. I don’t even think it is possible to have the ushabti at that point in the story.[/quote]
Yes, you have to first acquire the Ritual by exploring the house pre-hunt, and then pick up the Ushabti.

This would have been nice, had the option been to talk to each of them and try to find what they really want.

Instead, we have to choose between leaving alone or convincing them to leave, too.