Assorted suggestions

Hi, just offering my opinions after playing a few hours for a stream yesterday (and playing a bit more today).

1. The scout requires supplies and is very inconsistent. I would recommend changing one of those factors; either have it always reveal something (if there’s a port within range, prioritizing that; if not, some other feature such as a scavenging opportunity or a spectacle), or remove the supply requirement. Alternatively, just have nearby ports &quotpassively&quot revealed, or an occasional automatic scan like in Zubmariner.

2. After a certain point, enemies following you should be &quotleashed&quot and return to their point of origin.

3. Rather than automatically dying at 0 fuel, add the options from Sunless Sea: if you’re near a major port, have someone haul you back. Or the chance to sacrifice supplies, or more exotic means (whatever the High Wilderness equivalent of a hydrogen scoop is, maybe). I assume this is already on the menu to be added.

4. Mark uncovered assaying/mining/etc opportunities on the map, so people can return to them when they’ve acquired the relevant tool.

Will probably have more later. Overall really enjoying the experience now!
edited by aegisaglow on 4/5/2018
edited by aegisaglow on 4/6/2018

I believe assaying/mining opportunities are transient so you can’t return to them once you’ve left their sector or docked or whenever it is they reset.

Oh jeez I feel that second one so hard, seriously what DID that ship have against me?

[color=#6666ff]Hola,[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]Just a quick one. Thanks for the suggestions, you’ll be happy to know that pretty much every single one of these are things we already have planned and some are being worked on right at this moment. [/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]There will be a range of scouts in game eventually, some are much more adept at finding things than others, some will bring back more than one piece of information for example, some will search a wider radius - all coming soon. This ties into your fourth point. Other things will eventually be found by scouts and marked on the chart including discoveries and spectacles, not just ports. But again, it will vary with how competent the scout is. Can’t give details at the moment but they are very exciting, the content around how you acquire them is ace. [/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]Enemies. We’re not done with their AI yet. One of our devs has been focusing on this aspect in the last couple of sprints actually. Eventually leashes will be applied to beasties. [/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]I’m not sure the exact plans for your 3rd point at the moment, but it’s something that we’ll be looking at. [/color]

[color=#6666ff]You sure you didn’t look at it the wrong way Bitty? Some of those Marauders are very sensitive you know. ;)[/color]

[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]This is true. All discoveries other than the Wells and special Wrecks (Parzival, Boatman, etc) are transient and each time you leave a segment they will despawn. They will also respawn when you re-enter, so they are never going to be things that will be marked permanently on the chart. But the plan with the scouts (mentioned above) is that they will be able to detect them while you are in the segment. [/color]

I’m personally very strongly against removing the supplies cost. The bat costing supplies is an important improvement that removes a no-brainer choice.
In the immortal words of Sid Meier, “A Game is a series of interesting choices”, and that’s a tried and tested design philosophy. If you have a scout with no cost, like the one in sunless sea, then there’s nothing to stop you spamming it constantly, which quickly becomes tedious and repetitive.

It should however, find more than ports. I’d say the bat should also locate discoveries, spectacles and landmarks in a radius around you (marking each of those differently)

RE: Leashing: I’d agree with that for sky creatures, but not for ships. Creatures are territorial and have no reason to pursue if you leave their territory.

Marauders aren’t going to give up on an easy prey though. I’d say any marauders and similar criminals should pursue you to the ends of the earth in the wilderness, BUT they should break off their chase if you enter a safe, civilised area, where the sky police are likely to be patrolling

I agree about the fuel, ive been thinking of doing a writeup

RE: The discoveries: Thats not technically possible, because as mentioned, they are transient by design. They de-spawn once you get a certain distance away from them.
That said, i wou;dn’t mind changing their design to make them semi-persistent. Instead of despawning by distance, i think they should despawn by time. Doing so 1-2 hours of real playtime after they first spawned. That’d give an opportunity to go get the necessary equipment and come back, but it’d also prevent them from stacking up and cluttering the universe

[quote=FailbetterFuzz][color=#6666ff]Hola,[/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]Just a quick one. Thanks for the suggestions, you’ll be happy to know that pretty much every single one of these are things we already have planned and some are being worked on right at this moment. [/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]There will be a range of scouts in game eventually, some are much more adept at finding things than others, some will bring back more than one piece of information for example, some will search a wider radius - all coming soon. This ties into your fourth point. Other things will eventually be found by scouts and marked on the chart including discoveries and spectacles, not just ports. But again, it will vary with how competent the scout is. Can’t give details at the moment but they are very exciting, the content around how you acquire them is ace. [/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]Enemies. We’re not done with their AI yet. One of our devs has been focusing on this aspect in the last couple of sprints actually. Eventually leashes will be applied to beasties. [/color]
[color=#6666ff]
[/color]
[color=#6666ff]I’m not sure the exact plans for your 3rd point at the moment, but it’s something that we’ll be looking at. [/color][/quote]

Thanks for the reply! It does set my mind at ease you’re considering this stuff.