Associating with New Players

When I see someone in the &quotWho else is here&quot section, I like to click on their name and see their journal to see if they’re new to the game or just starting a new character. Would it be socially acceptable to send out calling cards to new players to become acquainted with them and help them out when they may not have any friends who play the game?

It should be alright to send random people social actions including calling cards. Just be sure to explain the situation in your message so they know how you found them and what your intentions are with contacting them. With the calling card, if they accept it, they can’t send you one back so you may need to explain how sending messages works too. just to be safe.

I spent almost all of 2014 just sending sips of hesperidean cider to every new player I saw, to welcome them to Fallen London. It went rather well I would say and was an interesting time.
edited by NiteBrite on 12/20/2015

BLOOD! BLOOD IS WHAT’S NEEDED!

So, we’re just not going to acknowledge that Hobnail guy’s comment?

That is the intent of the Young Turks Club, but quite a few players don’t check in there. I’d guess half my contact list is people I picked at random from the “Who Else is Here” box.

– Mal

With such a succinct reply from Hobnail, what more needs to be said? :-p

Personally I see no problem with saying hi to new players, though I myself wouldn’t send out Calling Cards. There’s only a finite amount of people you can have on your list of Acquaintances at any given time, and there’s little point in filling it with people who may not necessarily be interested in communicating. What I’d do instead is say hi (while following Nitebrite’s suggestion) but do it via other social actions - Chess, Coffee, Sparring; that sort of thing.
If you mix it up, rather than spamming them with any single action, they’ll also have Second Chances which they can put to good use later. (I’d lead with Chess as it’s fairly neutral and allows them to request Nightmares reduction.)

Ultimately what you do is up to you, but that’s how I’d probably go about it. Generally if you’re like ‘Hey, saw your name <here>, just wanted to say hi and meet new people’ then I can’t see anyone getting up-in-arms over it. :-)

I just started a new alt, and within an hour I had two social invitations. One was a calling card, and the an Affluent Photographer betrayal. Given that it was all done without fanfare, how did these people find my alt?

On a side note, why would one send a complete stranger an unsolicited betrayal as the first action? Personally, I’m not bothered. But if this happened to my main within the first hour of FL, I’d be first baffled and later pretty cheesed off.

The beauty of FL is that, short of a poisoning, you can’t really harm another player. Even KnC is so luck-based that it could backfire.

[quote=the truthseeker]1) They likely were mining the &quotWho else is here?&quot to send to as many players as possible. The calling card person likely didn’t understand what it was for/the limited contacts you can have while the betrayer was likely just an a-hole scamming new-looking players. I hope you got their name for some &quotthanks&quot down the line when they forgot about you.
2) See 1)[/quote]

[quote=navchaa]The beauty of FL is that, short of a poisoning, you can’t really harm another player. Even KnC is so luck-based that it could backfire.
[/quote][/quote]

There is one thing that you can do to leave a very annoying mark on other players, and it is definitely not by design of FBG.

Do I even want to know what it is?

That does sound pretty annoying. But with 99 acquaintance slots, surely there’s plenty to spare? I’ve been around for a reasonable amount of time, and have only filled 40 slots. Unless there’s a mass deletion thing happening, it’s going to be hard to be seriously inconvenienced by something like that?

Unless you’re saying that you will be stuck in KnC and can’t even come out to play the other stuff? I would imagine that an email to support would sort that out.

Add someone to your contacts, erase you account, for one. (impossible to fix, costs 1 aquaintance slot.) Worse, do that but as a mentor/student. (costs 8 slots!)

Add someone to your contacts, erase you account, for one. (impossible to fix, costs 1 aquaintance slot.) Worse, do that but as a mentor/student. (costs 8 slots!)[/quote]

Can’t you just snub them?

Unfortunately if the account doesn’t exist anymore you won’t be able to select them as a target for snubbing.

[quote=NiteBrite]I spent almost all of 2014 just sending sips of hesperidean cider to every new player I saw, to welcome them to Fallen London. It went rather well I would say and was an interesting time.[/quote]Just curious: How many tabs do you have now in your contact list?