Associating with devils?

I really am immensely curious as to how intimately associated others might be with the Brass Embassy. Or how repelled by it, as the case may be.

Personally, I find its inhabitants enjoyable (if occasionally frightening) company, well worth the admittedly tedious badgering about my soul that comes up now and then. One of them did offer to buy it for a price that I rejected outright – insultingly small, that offer. My dearer friends, one affectionate, one quiet, are sure to give me a better price if ever I feel a desire to be parted from my soul. In the meantime, the attention is all very flattering.

I drift in and out of intimacy with the Devils. They have audacity to hunt my character’s soul, so my character hunts them – seems fair to me. There aren’t too many opportunities to abuse or kill the Devils so I mostly confine such activities to the Labyrinth where I can have my character enjoy themselves with no consequences.

I do like the Quiet Deviless quite a bit, Abs nearly lost his soul to her, thinks they might even love her, yet have told her they will never see her again. There were many tears on both sides.

So, I guess my answer is, “My character’s relationships with Devils are complex, often hostile, but more intimate than is wise.”

[ooc: and it’s so hard to get Intimate back down to 0 after you get even one point of it, I’m afraid I’ve my work cut out for me.]

My character tries his hardest to hate them, but secretly, he still loves the affectionate devil who stole his soul, and misses him terribly.

He keeps hoping that if he pretends he hates devils enough, he’ll eventually convince himself he does :P

(He was also a bit unnerved when a couple of devils followed him home during the Feast of the Rose and now he can’t get rid of them. Eventually, he gave up trying, figured out which room in his zee znail zhell originally housed the snail’s butt, and let them live in there :P )

I took a room with them, for the pleasure of their company and for… scouting purposes.[li]

Now I rob them regularly. They get the enjoyment of incessantly clogging my deck with trying to part me from my soul, and I get the enjoyment of their stuff. It is an equitable trade, I think.

[quote=Eglantine-Fox]I really am immensely curious as to how intimately associated others might be with the Brass Embassy. Or how repelled by it, as the case may be.

Personally, I find its inhabitants enjoyable (if occasionally frightening) company, well worth the admittedly tedious badgering about my soul that comes up now and then. One of them did offer to buy it for a price that I rejected outright – insultingly small, that offer. My dearer friends, one affectionate, one quiet, are sure to give me a better price if ever I feel a desire to be parted from my soul. In the meantime, the attention is all very flattering.[/quote]
I sold my soul, because the only uses are in society’s perception of you. I care little for cash, and so will hold onto it in the future, if and when i get it back- there’s a friend i want to make who overestimates their value, and i care about his opinion, even as i diverge from it.

I like devils. They’re like Londoners, but the tiniest bit more moral, the smallest bit more effective, and a much more despised, for their obsession with mere celestial eggs. We may have ideological differences on the proper place for souls- they say &quotwith them&quot, i say &quotin the sorrow of the bazaar&quot, but we both don’t revere them.

It’s the weirdest thing. My character loathes spirifers to the point of actually trying to empale them on their own forks (bad move, Pentecost Ape Prime), but when it gets to devils, things are less emotional.

Oh, yes, she knows that spirifers only exist because devils will buy souls without caring with those pesky laws and regulations. It’s just that devils aren’t human, and she doesn’t think it’s fair to treat them as humans. She see devils the same way as we see wild animals: by all means, they should live and prosper in their habitats; she won’t pelt them with stones on sight, but if they make a move on her, all bets are off. She enjoys a little mischief against them now and then, but it’s more because she will take any blow in the soul trade as a personal victory.

The feeling is more or less mutual. The devils don’t like her scent, because they know it means trouble, and it’s not trouble that they can handle in the usual ways. Besides, one devil already died because of her soul, and they don’t think it’s worth all that hassle.

Eh. They are people, no? Like Rats, Rubbery, Blemmigans.

The more you know about how uncaring the universe is, the easier it gets to care about people.

I answered the above for my alt–&quotWe do business, now and again.&quot That’s true for her; but my main has other views, none of which are accurately represented in the poll.

My main is fanatical about taking Hell down; however, her approach is to feign interest and friendship in devils, while siphoning away Contracts and Souls behind the scenes to turn over to the Church for restoration. Since she’s been operating this way for so long, she’s occasionally gotten carried away and sold her own soul inadvertently (twice! but each time for an superlative price!), though she always retrieves it.

My main also has the Quiet Deviless as a companion. She is rather fond of her, but deep down, does not trust her, because she is a devil and the mainspring of every devil’s being is to obtain and possess souls.
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/3/2016
edited by cathyr19355 on 6/3/2016

I dislike what they do, not because I value souls but because I think their approach harms people more than a different approach would. The approach is very much the point, however, so it’s not like they would just change that. So yeah, not really a fan.

My character’s wary of them, but the pretty smiles of a succubus is wearing down his resistance. As a whole Morkan isn’t terribly interested in devils, and keep away from them. He can’t swagger and be dashing without a soul, innit?

As a dedicated member of the Committee for Vital Restoration, I remind you all that devils are responsible for the melancholy and depression of thousands (if not millions) of individuals and that dealing with them is foolish at best and morally wrong at worst. They will take your soul, your love, and your dreams and walk away with them. Clutch your soul and hold it tight.

As a dedicated member of the committee for celestial parasite awareness, I would like to remind you to regularly get checked for celestial parasites. They tend to cause feelings of euphoria, symptoms of adiction, and can, under certain circumstances, prove to make some hazaards, such as bazaar’s sorrow, far more dangerous.

Society has mistakenly labled these abominations as souls, but that is a lie from our celestial oppressors. Calling these souls is like calling a bee a rubbery man, or the entire clay population angels.
edited by Grenem on 6/10/2016

Hah! My League boys have been responsible for more than one devil-thrashing! They’re vile creatures, and I disdain my occasional dealings with them.

Indeed, I have made a rather riveting hobby out of sabotaging their works. While it may be brash and foolish to say such openly, I am hardly unknown to them. If I were to perish, why, half of London would rise to avenge me, and the other half would join in out of aesthetic appreciation for my funeral!

Devils, while often sinister looking, are on the whole interesting people to converse with. Gain their trust and you will have more information (and eventually wealth) than you know what to do with.

With that being said, you hardly want to consider going too far with devils. The soul trade, while hardly as bad as the Name, is not a laughing matter. It would be most unbecoming of one such as me to engage intimate conversation with any of their sort.

If you haven’t been to Dante’s Grill, you’re missing out. Unless the person you’re planning on meeting there threatens to bury you alive. Not that anyone would consider saying such things!

Dealing with devils is simply a matter of caution, awareness, and a certain amount of charm. Especially if one finds the right devil. Why, I have trusted my Affectionate friend with my person on multiple occasions, and have had only respect and consideration in return.

Can you say, for instance, that all of your human acquaintances could be trusted to send you safely home by hansom cab if you were to become profoundly inebriated at a gathering? And yet here I am, with nothing taken from me or done to me, after just such an event.