Are you limited to one rare pet?

I have a rubbery euphonium. Unique, but not very helpful. Does this mean my character cannot acquire a salt weasel or a haunted-looking dog?

I’ve heard of this, and I think it may just be the case. I’ve got a salt weasel, and I’ve not been able to get any of the others.

I suspect so, but it’s a very difficult thing to prove; certainly, I’ve never seen the rare card appear while I’ve had such a pet already, but that’s what rare cards do anyway - not appear. I was able to get both a Dog and a Weasel (which remains my claim to the list of Acknowledgeable Achievements, which I continue thinking of as the Club of Queer Traits,) but that was by winning one of them in a devs’ competition. I’ve been camped out in Watchmaker’s for months, hoping to all at once solve this riddle, and the riddle of whether there’s a fourth rare pet card that appears there. No luck yet.

I have used cards almost exclusively in Ladybones Road, looking for the dog, since about January (when I got my weasel.) This was because it would give me a slight bonus to watchful, at the time. In that time I have still not seen the dog, but I have saved up for an overgoat. So my opinion is that I am either strikingly unluck, or you can have only one rare pet at a time.

I think the Fungal Pony was taken out of the game. I have yet to find anyone who has gotten one since a very long while back and even then they were rather un-common.

There is a way to prove it for sure one way or the other, but it’d be exceptionally difficult: the trick is that if you don’t meet the requirements to draw a card, you can still hold it in your hand, but it’ll tell you why you can’t play it.

So what you’d have to do is camp out in one of the locations until you drew the pet card, not play it, then camp out in another one to draw a second pet card. Then play one of them, and mouse over the other. If it says something like “You can’t play this if Haunted-Looking Dog is greater than 0,” then we know there’s an exclusive lock-out. (At least for that pair of cards)

Oh dear, I hope not. I wouldn’t want to sell off my weasel for the dog, but if this is the case, I may well have to.

~raises hand~ I must have the fourth beastie – a Subtle Mole I picked up on Watchmakers Hill. And no, I haven’t seen any other cards for another either.

That’s a different category of pets entirely. That’s from a clandestine rendezvous at Watchmaker’s Hill, we’re discussing the pets from rare cards (Cards which say they’re very rare and that you shouldn’t lose them)

[quote=Urthdigger]
That’s a different category of pets entirely. That’s from a clandestine rendezvous at Watchmaker’s Hill, we’re discussing the pets from rare cards (Cards which say they’re very rare and that you shouldn’t lose them)[/quote]

Huh. All that was specified was finding a rare pet on Watchmaker’s Hill, and that’s the only pet I’ve run across there.

The “rare pets” are the Salt Weasel, the Haunted Hound, the Rubbery Euphonium and the mythical Fungal Pony. They appear as rare cards in Ladybones Road, the Veilgarden, Spite and Watchmker’s Hill, respectively.

What you are referring to is the Clandestine Rendezvous storylet which give a pet of your choosing as long as you have enough Connected for each faction. I’m guessing you only had Great Game high enough to pick the Mole. The other Clandestine Rendezvous pets are:

Hell gives a the Preening Macaw(Bizarre +1) and Gates of the Garden;
The Great Game gives a Subtle Mole(Dreaded +1) & Gates of the Garden;
Bohemians give Hungover Terrier(Bizarre +1) and Fingerwork;
Tomb Colonist give a Bandaged Raven(Bizarre +1) and Gates of the Garden.
Constables give a Maverick Bloodhound(Dreaded +1) and Falling Cities.
The Church gives a Tell-Tales Beetle(Respectable +1) and Eyes of Icarus.
Society gives a Racing Slug of Fine Pedigree(Respectable +1) and Falling Cities.
Docks give a Taciturn Mynah (Respectable+1) and Fingerwork.
Criminals give a Disappointing Marsh-Wolf(Dreaded +1) and Fingerworks.
Revolutionaries give a Partisan Messenger Tortoise(Respectable +1) and Eyes of Icarus
Urchins give a Grubby Kitten(Dreaded +1) and Eyes of Icarus

I’m tempted to sell my Haunted-Looking Dog and see whether I can pick up a different pet… after all, I don’t need the +3 watchful pet anymore since I have a +10 watchful overgoat…

[quote=Nigel Overstreet][
The “rare pets” are the Salt Weasel, the Haunted Hound, the Rubbery Euphonium and the mythical Fungal Pony. They appear as rare cards in Ladybones Road, the Veilgarden, Spite and Watchmker’s Hill, respectively.[/quote]

Ah! Enlightenment happens. I do have the Salt Weasel, and had forgotten where I picked it up.

Thank you.

It’s too bad players can’t sell their pets to each other… I would pay a lot of echoes for a Haunted-Looking Dog and a Salt Weasel! (I already have the Rubbery Euphonium)

It’s too bad players can’t sell their pets to each other… I would pay a lot of echoes for a Haunted-Looking Dog and a Salt Weasel! (I already have the Rubbery Euphonium)[/quote]

A player-based economy would be the best thing. Imagine if all items and pets would have to be found in-game, with the higher-level ones being far more difficult to acquire, and people could open Bazaar stalls and sell them for their own price?

I’m considering a rather silly enteprise, but one that might help answer this question.

Currently, I’m the lucky owner of a Salt Weasel. What I’d like to do is to collect all three (or more) rare pets one at a time, selling them off as soon as I’ve found them. The only problem is, I don’t know how I’d be able to prove ownership of the pets I’ve found, then sold. Would echoing the relevant card be sufficient?

Put it on your mantelpiece, and have someone verify on the forum is how I’d go about it.

Echoing in the card also works, as that proves at one point you had it. Just make sure that you know where that text is in your journal.

Put it on your mantelpiece, and have someone verify on the forum is how I’d go about it.[/quote]

You can’t put up an item that you’ve already sold.

Hence, having someone verify it first, then selling the pet, I imagine.

Problem is, I forgot to echo my Salt Weasel card (it was ages ago)… Although, I guess I could do the verification method for the first pet, and echo the cards for all subsequent ones.

So! I’ve put my soon-to-be-late pet on my Mantelpiece: would anyone be willing to vouch for me? Then, I’ll be off to Mahogany Hall to test another weasel-related theory.
edited by Inpiun on 8/22/2012