Are the Various Dreams Useful?

I am relatively new to playing Fallen London. I have one character who recently became a POSI. Something that has puzzled me since starting to play this game is the usefulness of the various dreams (e.g. &quotA game of chess&quot, &quotWhat the thunder said&quot, etc.). In looking at the &quotDreams&quot section of the &quotMyself&quot tab, I see that I have seven dreams at various stages from 3 to 4. I used to play these cards (some red bordered but some white) but never seemed to get anything from clicking on them except an increase in my nightmare menace. For a while now, I have stopped playing them and seem, so far, none the worse off.

In general, are these various dreams of much use? If so, are there some on which to focus? If it helps, I have 0% interest in role-playing at this game.

Thanks for your advice.

Since the game is mostly about reading nice stories, these are additional content to read. A few of them have corner-case uses at very high levels and most will disappear from your deck if you get them high enough.

If your ambition is Heart’s Desire, you will eventually need to get one of them to 15. (Fire Sermon, Burial of the Dead, What the Thunder Said, or A Game of Chess) That’s very close to the end of the ambition.

You need to go all the way through What the Thunder Said in order to collect the reward for getting Renown: Urchins to 40
edited by PJ on 12/4/2021

What the Thunder Said/Stormy Eyed ultimately opens up a new area (the Mind of a Long-Dead God). One of the new dreams acquired at Zee (Seeing in Apoycyan) also takes you for an encounter elsewhere, with an optional reward. Some dreams function as a kind of currency in the Nadir, i.e. you can accept a loss in exchange for,e.g. a Direful Reflection.

[quote=Ragnar Degenhand]What the Thunder Said/Stormy Eyed ultimately opens up a new area (the Mind of a Long-Dead God). One of the new dreams acquired at Zee (Seeing in Apoycyan) also takes you for an encounter elsewhere, with an optional reward. Some dreams function as a kind of currency in the Nadir, i.e. you can accept a loss in exchange for,e.g. a Direful Reflection.[/quote]Seeing in Apocyan is not a Zee dream, but a new story which expands from Fire dreams (same as Stairs with Burial of the Dead)
The Zee dreams start by increasing Zee winds (N, S and E) and drawing cards in London which require level 2 Zee wind. Every time you play these cards, the wind quality drops so you need to stack those if you wish to finish the related stories (level 7).

You can gain winds in these regions:

• Stormbones has 2 Northern cards (need to unlock it here first to raise it elsewhere)
  • Shepherd’s Wash has 2 S cards (unlock)
  • The Salt Steppes has 1 E card (unlock)
  • The Pillared Sea has 1 N + E card and 1 E card
  • The Sea of Voices has 1 card for all
    edited by Skinnyman on 12/5/2021

Oh my God, I made a mistake! Forgive me! How will I ever recover from this?

Keep in mind that those dreams that you can exchange for profit in the Nadir are only profitable if you acquired the dream qualities solely by playing red cards for zero actions

What is the mistake you speak of?