April’s Exceptional Story: The Murgatroyd Formula

Hmm, even his supposedly honest answers sound pretty diplomatic to me. Boring man. I’m glad I spiced up his party with moon-milk.

1 Like

This was really good!!! I honestly don’t remember struggling so much with choosing a side between two characters before!!!
I was obviously more sympathetic to Hattie, I think we were meant to, but I really like Tabitha as well and I didn’t want to ruin her life.

So in the end what I did was have everything go according to Harriet’s plan, but I didn’t sell out either of the daughters. And I convinced them to stay, because my character always puts security before adventure. And besides, they both love each other and I think they can make it work. I did however encourage Harriet to tell her father about her assumptions, so I hope this goes well, even if I never find out.

This will easily be one of my favourite stories, if only for the times I had to actually pause and think about what to do next. Excellent!

Guys I’m super lost- where do you go after you deal with the shredded letter, right at the beginning?

Probably Spite.

PSA to everyone: The Apothecary storefront itself is in Spite. If at any point you don’t know how to continue this story, you probably exited the Apothecary somehow and should visit Spite.

I THINK the carriage appears once you choose which one will be the flagship formula. That’s what triggered it for me - it still hadn’t appeared even after getting the moon milk.

I THINK the carriage appears once you choose which one will be the flagship formula. That’s what triggered it for me - it still hadn’t appeared even after getting the moon milk.[/quote]
I picked a flagship formula in the hopes of it triggering the carriage arrival but still none, which is frustrating

I thought all three of the Murgatroyds were well-drawn characters, and it was thrilling to be involved with a physical altercation as part of an ES. On the other hand, I thought the ending fell a bit flat. Also…

After I revealed the sisters’ secrets to their father, and encouraged them to leave to use their talents elsewhere, I had little to show for it. I did make sure that Tabitha’s formula was chosen, but it’s not clear where the Murgatroyd business will go with that, since I also made sure the Constable carted away the moon-milk supplier! I did that because I wasn’t sure what the moral course was so I kept choosing &quotinteresting&quot actions, but I think it all is more or less consistent with my character’s morality and desires. The father got to see that Tabitha’s desire to invent produced something useful, but unless they find another supplier they won’t be making a lot more of the charisma tonic.

edited by cathyr19355 on 3/31/2018

Probably Spite.

PSA to everyone: The Apothecary storefront itself is in Spite. If at any point you don’t know how to continue this story, you probably exited the Apothecary somehow and should visit Spite.[/quote]

Unless you go to see the moon-milk supplier and the perhaps not out of it. Then you can’t progress at all, file a support ticket and then wait till the 4 day Easter weekend is over (and then up to 3 working days)

[quote=Catherine Raymond]I thought all three of the Murgatroyds were well-drawn characters, and it was thrilling to be involved with a physical altercation as part of an ES. On the other hand, I thought the ending fell a bit flat. Also…
edited by cathyr19355 on 3/31/2018[/quote]

I don’t think Tabitha used moon-milk in the charisma tonic formula itself; she already had it since before you go looking for moon-milk with her. It still turned out to be a success even if you didn’t lace the customers’ drink with moon-milk, though the apothecary didn’t make as much profit from the opening as it would have had you laced their drink. Which makes the use of moon-milk kind of pointless in the bigger picture (unless you messed up the flagship formula by mixing both kinds), but hey, moral choices.

edited by silurica on 3/31/2018

[quote=silurica][quote=Catherine Raymond]I thought all three of the Murgatroyds were well-drawn characters, and it was thrilling to be involved with a physical altercation as part of an ES. On the other hand, I thought the ending fell a bit flat. Also…
edited by cathyr19355 on 3/31/2018[/quote]

edited by silurica on 3/31/2018[/quote]

<cut silurica’s spoiler tag so I could use one of my own again.>

You have a point. I realized I’d misread some things after watching my spouse start the story last night.

I ended up not getting a cut of the profits anyway, so in the end my choices were simply bad for the situation. No, I didn’t mix the potions–not that bad! But bad enough. I backed Tabitha’s formula but then betrayed her secrets to her father, along with Harriet’s. So she didn’t want to pay me, though she also said she lacked the power to do so which may well have been right. I should have backed Harriet for the most profit…but those choices were so boring! Arrgh.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t rat out the sisters and the payment I got from Tabitha was an item I can’t even sell:

A Mirrorcatch Box, from the cellar where the moon-milk was kept. She said she can’t pay you properly since things weren’t what they agreed with their father, or something.

Personally I’m fine with it since I wasn’t helping her for profit.

Hmm, now I’m curious about what Harriet would give if you sided with her/made the remedy the flagship formula.

[quote=silurica]For what it’s worth, I didn’t rat out the sisters and the payment I got from Tabitha was an item I can’t even sell:

A Mirrorcatch Box, from the cellar where the moon-milk was kept. She said she can’t pay you properly since things weren’t what they agreed with their father, or something.

Personally I’m fine with it since I wasn’t helping her for profit.

Hmm, now I’m curious about what Harriet would give if you sided with her/made the remedy the flagship formula.[/quote]

Now that you mention it, I got the same reward. Since I can buy them freely as a consequence of another ES I’ve done, it was hardly worth noticing.
My husband has favored Harriet’s formula, and he echoes to his journal. When he finishes I can let you know so you can see where that goes. Or you can look at his Journal–he’s esrtweet in Fallen London.
edited by cathyr19355 on 4/1/2018

So just to confirm, the story won’t progress unless you go visit the moon milk dealer? I’ve been waiting for the carriage to arrive otherwise.

What happens if you betray the Moon-Milk dealer to the Constables? I didn’t pick that particular option, but now I’m curious.

You just get some small item, iirc.

And the moral high ground, of course!

I came here to say I clicked on the moon-miser milk acquiring card just after I opened the story with no idea what it is.

I found myself in a company of a certain Tabita, about whom I had no idea who she is, although it looked like she knew me very well. Apparently we were plotting together or something and we were both here to get a bottle of moon-miser milk for some reason everyone apart me knew.

There were no option to opt out of the card and I was forced to make decision about the moon-miser milk even though I didn’t know anything about the story at all.

I think this just shouldn’t be possible and it left a sour taste in my mouth, basically ruining the story for me.

Another excellent Exceptional Story! I enjoyed getting to know the Murgatroyd sisters and learning their secrets, and uncovering more about the Murgatroyd Company itself. Now it finally makes sense that feeding a Dazed Raven Advisor some Murgatroyd’s Fungal Crackers causes it to whisper Incendiary Gossip. I feel as if I’ve gained an Extraordinary Implication! This story – or at least the choices I made in it – reminded me of &quotThe Devil, The Heart, and the Zee.&quot It’s always rewarding to encourage people to grow and follow their dreams, and getting the sisters to reconcile was particularly heartwarming and very fitting for the Season of Adoration. Despite their misgivings, I think their father would be proud of them.

Speaking of fathers, though: if you chose to Expose the Veteran Privy Counsellor’s indiscretions on the Society faction card (result text link), there’s an interesting reference to a &quotMrs Murgatroyd’s&quot. I assume that this is a charitable institution set up by the Murgatroyd company, since Harriet mentions their philanthropic work in the story. However, given the context, it may also suggest some disturbing possibilities about the Murgatroyd sisters’ parentage…

It was nice to see an option to turn the moon-milk dealer in to the Constables, which several players had previously complained was not possible in previous Exceptional Stories (such as when dealing with a certain Red Honey dealer not too long ago). However, I do second the complaints of others about the hidden progress qualities in this story. For example, I assume I’m done with this story (I got a bottle of Airag in the end), but there was no notification quality or anything else to note that the story was finished. I prefer full – or at least more – transparency regarding the game’s mechanics.

This Exceptional Story was quite charming, but also felt… mm… very, very brief, almost breezy. While every Exceptional Story doesn’t have to have a ton of depth, high stakes, gripping story, exciting lore reveals, or cool rewards, I’m left feeling a bit high and dry that this ES didn’t have -any- of those things. I met a couple of neat characters, made a few simple decisions, and came away with a bottle of Fourth City Airag, which puts me one incremental step closer to that Vial of M_st_r’s Bl__d at least.

Hoping we get something really toothy to cap off the season.

Just finished a story, and feel quite amused with it. There were interesting choices and complicated characters within, and I encountered an interesting fragment of Neath lore (I had a theory before that Mr. Murgatroyd is a sentient business-blemmigan abomination like a rubbery enterpreneur at society party card).

Finked a moon-milk smuggler to constables, used Harriette’s vial, gave away Tabitha to father, persuaded both to follow their aspirations. Got a couple Moves in Great Game and an Airag!

Especially loved a decent space for roleplay, even if most choices changed nothing.