An odd question with disturbing implications

Are Mourning Candles… those candles? The ones that smell of lilac? It seems implied that they are.
edited by Patrick Reding on 2/15/2012
edited by Emily St Aubert on 2/20/2012

I for one am indeed most distrubed at the prospect!

(sorry, couldn’t resist… the typo made me grin)

More seriously, it is indeed an… unsettling thought.

Huh? Are you referencing something in a sidebar? I don’t recall ever hearing a mention of liliac-scented candles…

If you’ve been carried to the Tomb Colonies in a maelstrom of Scandal, you eventually run across a group of Colonists making lilac-scented candles [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]from their own body fat[/color], which seems quite the unusual hobby, but presumably quite lucrative if they’re the same candles. Maybe you should use gloves next time you pick one up.
edited by Patrick Reding on 2/16/2012

It certainly does seem to be the implication–I too was shocked and unsettled upon acquiring some.

Okay, just looked up what you referenced on the wiki and yeah, creepy. It does indeed seem like they are…although why would they be so valuable? Candles that give off dim light sound pretty useless except to stage performers, maybe.

The Radical Factotum only says that they are “useful to his patron’s work”.

I think they mean to blur the line between the Mirror Marshes and reality in some manner.

Now that’s a distrubing… erm, disturbing thought. Is that how the Iron Republic came into being? What effect would a similar process have on London?

A small but cute note. When the inventory is properly filled, the Mourning Candles appear immediately below your Stolen Kisses, creating the impression that the pursed lips are blowing out the candle. A charming coincidence, or something more deliberate?

Now that’s a distrubing… erm, disturbing thought. Is that how the Iron Republic came into being? What effect would a similar process have on London?[/quote]

have no idea. Everything they’ve been gathering seems to support it though.

Phosphorescent Scarabs and Wax from the equally phosphorescent Lamplighter Bees. The scarabs each containing a “shard” of “that place”. Large lenses they’ve… acquired. Memories of Light.

each time you catch even a glimmer of what they’re up to you develop that curious amnesia… without ever leaving Fallen London…