An Event Begins: ‘CARNIVAL SKEWERED BY RAZOR-ROCKS!’

The Prickfinger Wastes have begun to creep into London, and Mrs Plenty’s Carnival is riddled with deadly stalagmites! But ‘catastrophe’ is just another word for ‘opportunity’, and ‘looming disaster’ means ‘new customers’. Visit the arcade, grab a mallet, and test your strength – by smashing the invasive rocks to smithereens!

Today, we’ve unveiled new carnival games in Fallen London. Players of all levels can take a swing at the razor-sharp stalagmites. To unlock this special event, look for ‘Where the Wastes Join the City’ anywhere in London. The new carnival games will run until the ‘Overgrowth of the Prickfinger Wastes’ has been reduced to zero.

8 Likes

Great to see Mrs Plenty and her carnival finally get some love.

5 Likes

Need some opinions on which is the best way to smash the rocks.

The basic way, using one ticket instead of two.
The second way, requires a 5e glove which might get destroyed (why though?).
The third way, spending candles, but you get no splinters upon failure.

Those menaces are annoying, if only there’s an event-specific way to reduce them, just like how it’s done during Fruits of the Zee.

1 Like

The odds on the luck check seem to change. Sometimes 40%, sometimes 60%, for the basic one.

And yeah the menaces are building up.

The checks also seem to take a long time to resolve, unless my Internet is only spotty when I do them. Maybe it’s heavy on the backend

1 Like

The odds improve whenever you fail, then reset again when you succeed.

But you know how fickle RNG is in this game…

5 Likes

I’m liking the opportunity to give things to academic. That said, I’m probably going to be happy with whoever gets a stall here.

Boy, the menaces really aren’t worth it. I gave to all three factions to see the text, but the penalties are way too high for a mini event.

1 Like

Are there opportunity cards or other ways of making progress? I haven’t seen any but I haven’t looked hard

There’s the one opportunity card giving you a choice between a check or spending Hard-Backed Labour, but giving you less shards than the Carnival according to the card itself.

The rich get richer… I have Cider so I can completely ignore Wounds.

I can finally spend the mountain of free Carnival Tickets accumulated with the Another Mouth Discordant Law!

3 Likes

This is probably the mini event before Hallowmas.

Not sure if there are any achievements or items as rewards at the end of this new event.

Well that progress bar isn’t going down very quickly, now is it?

… hm…

3 Likes

I rather dislike the event so far - it’s very slow, luck checks just feel bad, the splinter rewards often being in the single-digits is lame, and the payout’s high sell value isn’t impressive to me because it’s almost all in items that I have no use for beyond sale.

1 Like

Does ‘Wear and Tear’ reset at the end of the season?

You can 200 Silk if your glove is destroyed, that means you lose 3e… whether this is worth it depends on how kind the RNG gods are to you.

‘Wear and Tear’ is also a Scrapbook item, fyi.

The splinter rewards should be higher, and once in a while some of those splinters can be used to reduce menaces… just like how it’s done during Fruits of the Zee.

FotZ has some nice things to look forward to at the end: redeeming items or a ship. Mechanically, this Carnival event feelsm more like hunting a Lifeberg, everyone reducing that global progress bar.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the situation I’m in. I’m gonna sit here and do the event because I can clear any amount of wounds in 2 actions, and because I have 3000+ carnival tickets hanging around that I got for 0 actions, so might as well spend 'em.

I’m doing the basic 1-ticket option because wounds don’t matter and losing gloves would.

1 Like

I can see the utility of this event if you have carnival tickets to burn, and perhaps some application to festivities later in the month, but otherwise, the prospect of buying and spending tickets for the privilege of having the RNG infuriatingly screw me over repeatedly with rapidly accumulating menaces hardly seems enticing, even with cider. Nor can I see myself slogging through this for the presumably weeks (months?) that it’ll be up, whereas I typically am happy to play through the other living events to their conclusion. So this one does seem rather niche in its appeal. (Perhaps the EPA is especially good?)

As far as I can tell, there is no counter for the number of times one has contributed to a faction or played the event, is this the case? And thus no real motivation to repeat the event (absent those niche applications) for, say, some accolades from the winning faction or similar, outside of exploring the branches and text…once?

3 Likes

I guess this is a good time to finally use an Overcompensating Die

Are the rewards in this event worth the materials (and actions) spent to make that Overcompensating Die?