An Entirely Unofficial Post-Election Survey

Hello to all! In the wake of the recent 1896 mayoral election, we have seen the power of Huffam and his team of underpaid pollsters to gauge the attitudes of Fallen London’s citizens toward various candidates. In a few weeks, we should be seeing some official statistics from Failbetter Games on the breakdown of voters’s preferred candidates and roles during the election as we have for the past two years. There is also an unofficial survey floating around made by and for the community for similar purposes. As a whole, there have been many polls and surveys going around.

So here’s another one!

This survey was created in response to questions over past candidates and why the FL playerbase, as a whole, voted for certain candidates and not others. While other surveys do a good job of informing us of how the community tended to vote statistically, they do not really inform us of why players voted as they did. How many voted for in-character reasons, versus out-of-character reasons? How many voted based on platform, and how many voted based on name recognition? Did the influence of new players shift the demographics of the voting population and thus change how candidates with similar platforms were received? The percentage of people who voted for the Jovial Contrarian versus the Captivating Princess or Mr. Slowcake alone could not help us with these questions. Thus…

An entirely unofficial and voluntary Fallen London Post-Election Survey, via Google Forms.

This survey asks participants to disclose the candidates they voted for during the 1894, 1895, and/or 1896 Fallen London mayoral election events, but also asks their reasons for both choosing their preferred candidates and not choosing dis-preferred candidates. My hope is that with this we can start to identify common themes and reasons for voting or not-voting specific candidates among the greater FL community, rather than scouring across a series of discord servers, forum, tumblr archives, and more. Note that your responses to freeform questions will be made available to others who have taken survey, and that all responses are otherwise anonymous in terms of identification.

If you have not responded I hope you will consider doing so, and if you have thank you for your time!

Excellent! I cannot give this enough upvotes. Hopefully, this will give us additional information on the thinking process of the forum’s voters and serve as useful information for future campaigners to identify the rhetorical techniques and arguments needed to sway voters, or at least have a good argument.

Just to be clear - I’m assuming switching means changing your mind about who you support, as opposed to mechanically switching (to e.g. get a different gift)?

Either way, great survey!

EDIT: is there a way to perhaps merge the Bishop of Southwark and Bishop of Southward results? As hilarious as this is it’s also a bit confusing on the charts.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/6/2018

That’s the assumption I was going with, at least.

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]Just to be clear - I’m assuming switching means changing your mind about who you support, as opposed to mechanically switching (to e.g. get a different gift)?

Either way, great survey!

EDIT: is there a way to perhaps merge the Bishop of Southwark and Bishop of Southward results? As hilarious as this is it’s also a bit confusing on the charts.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 7/6/2018[/quote]

Yeah, that Bishop of Southward thing was unfortunate. Managed it get it cleared up, thankfully

As for switching, yes - I had intended it as changing your mind or otherwise switching from your first candidate to a different candidate by the end of the election, as opposed to mechanically swapping to grab the items for Fate. I wouldn’t change the wording at this point because quite a few people have responded, and some of them may answered based on mechanical switching, so…a limitation in the data collection process, unfortunately!

Also, thanks to everyone responded so far! A lot of good responses, and some interesting potential trends already creeping through with regard to why/why not different candidates and what the community prioritizes. While I had strong feelings on the elections every year, I’m most interested by what the playerbase as a whole perceives about the different candidates, their priorities when voting, and their thoughts on elections in general.