All legacies mysteriously gone

I’d been working for some time on picking up all the legacies, and I’d just gotten the last one (A Traveling Light) – then I put the game aside for several weeks. When I started it up again just now, it was as if I had never played the game before! Not only were all my legacies gone, so were my mansion, heirlooms, and preserved Memento Mori. :( :( :( (Moreover, on the launch menu, there was no option to &quotcontinue&quot, only &quotnew game&quot and &quotload game&quot, the latter of which indicated no saves available.)

Does anyone know what might have happened and whether it’s possible to recover the lost qualities?

Sounds like a corrupted or lost save file. Maybe take a look at this guide on how to find your output file, and send that along with your save file to FBG in a bug report email: http://www.failbettergames.com/output-log/

Here is the bug report email address: sunlesssea@failbettergames.com

Your save file on a PC can usually be found at C:\Users[your username]\AppData\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\saves

and is typically titled autosave.json
If you can’t find autosave.json in your save files, it means your save was deleted somehow. If its there but not functional then it has been corrupted. A corrupted save might be recoverable, but a deleted save is just gone. Take a look and see what your situation may be. I hope this helps.

In a worst case scenario, I hear it is relatively simple to edit a save file and manually restore your qualities. Here is a save editing guide for example if you wish to pursue that: Steam Community :: Guide :: I'm a terrible person for doing this; Editing Saves
edited by NiteBrite on 4/23/2015

There was also a heads up a while back about upgrading to Yosemite on Macs and its effects on saved files:

… That’ll be it then. I did upgrade my Mac to Yosemite in between there, and it didn’t occur to me to check for such a problem.

Frustrating, but at least there’s an explanation.

This is outside my area of expertise, but if you have a Time Machine Backup from before the OS upgrade you might be able to access the old save files. Check that link for how to locate your save files.

Another option if you can bear it is to simply consider it a chance to start fresh. Games like Sunless Sea are really more about the uhh… voyage rather than the destination. Once you get everything you could want, the game is kinda less fun rather than more :)

I’m reaching a point where I would consider this option (possibly via exaltation). Currently when I pass the baton to a scion, they could instantly buy a Dreadnaught, all of the best store-bought equipment (all while barely denting my empires funds), and within a few hours probably have the best story equipment… and it’s just not as rich an experience as having to work for it.

[quote=nauith]Another option if you can bear it is to simply consider it a chance to start fresh. Games like Sunless Sea are really more about the uhh… voyage rather than the destination. Once you get everything you could want, the game is kinda less fun rather than more :)

I’m reaching a point where I would consider this option (possibly via exaltation). Currently when I pass the baton to a scion, they could instantly buy a Dreadnaught, all of the best store-bought equipment (all while barely denting my empires funds), and within a few hours probably have the best story equipment… and it’s just not as rich an experience as having to work for it.[/quote]

Something about the idea of using your empire’s funds to finance a primate-led blimp excursion, only to abscond with their blimp and your family’s estate, never to be seen again, is absolutely hilarious. Your penniless descendants will have quite a bizarre story to tell.