Aligned with a Faction

So I just got a new card - the Long Arm of the Law - and its options all required things I’d never seen before, like ‘Spending Secrets’, ‘Counting the Days’, and most interestingly… ‘Aligned with a Faction: Bohemians’.

Could this be a sign that in the near future, we’ll be able to deepen our acquaintanceship with the existing factions, or at least some of them? I know this is something that a lot of people have been hoping for!

Edit: Sorry, ‘The Law’s Long Arm’ is the card.
edited by Curious Fellow on 4/2/2012

I hope you can be allies with more then one faction. I like the Orient and Hell equally.
edited by Jack Blackstone on 4/3/2012

The card “A Restorative” can allow you to use the Rubbery slime to cure your physical ills. However, to use it you need to be aligned with the Urchins. Unless these are exceptional urchins, I suspect this will be changed to the Rubberies.

I was just visited by the Numismatrix again, and it’s probably relevant to know that she says [[color=#ffffff]that there is a secret currency out there, not one of stamped disks of metal, but still a currency. everyone is scrambling to acquire it in secret, and we’re going to have to choose sides.[/color]]

Just got another opportunity card, [[color=#ffffff]The Numismatrix[/color]] forces you to choose who your allied with, choose between [[color=#ffffff]The Constables, Society, The Church, The Bohemians, The Great Game, The Docks, The Urchins, Criminals, Hell, Revolutionaries, Or Tomb Colonists. I allied with the Criminals.[/color]] Once I chose my [[color=#ffffff]Spending Secrets quality went up to 4[/color]]
edited by WintersNight on 4/3/2012

interesting… since I voted for Mr. Fires in the favorite master poll, I’ll go for the docks when I get the card to show

I really can’t decide between Society, Bohemians, Revolutionaries, and Tomb Colonists. Will there be an opportunity to switch?

according to the card, you will have the opportunity to switch… but that may have other consequences.

sounds ominous.

Interestingly while i have Spending Secrets up to 4 now, and I’m aligned with a faction, I still haven’t a clue how to get any “Counting the Days”

On a sidenote; “Aligned with a Faction: Criminals” showed up in the Accomplishment section of my Inventory. It isn’t a quality you can raise. Wasn’t there a card out there that had a requirement of “Aligned with a Faction - 70”?

EDIT: I just added Aligned with a Fraction to my Mantlepiece and there is shows i have 110 ranks in it even though it doesn’t show that anywhere in my inventory.

[quote=WintersNight]On a sidenote; “Aligned with a Faction: Criminals” showed up in the Accomplishment section of my Inventory. It isn’t a quality you can raise. Wasn’t there a card out there that had a requirement of “Aligned with a Faction - 70”?

EDIT: I just added Aligned with a Fraction to my Mantlepiece and there is shows i have 110 ranks in it even though it doesn’t show that anywhere in my inventory.edited by WintersNight on 4/3/2012[/quote]

That’s a quirk about how Accomplishments work- they have numerical values and named levels like every other Quality, but the number doesn’t appear in your Inventory. They can be ground or whatnot, depending on how stories use them.

It sounds from some of the posts I’ve seen about the Menace cards that Failbetter has been tweaking how Accomplishment requirements show up. (Even the ones I’ve unlocked look a little different: “Unlocked with Nightmares 4 - you have 1” vs. “Unlocked with Enjoying Lethal Prominence 1 - you have Enjoying Lethal Prominence 1”) Or maybe they’ve always been that way.

Hm, I may find out first-hand about the consequences of changing my alignment. I’ll go with the Great Game for now; but if they decide to offer the Orient later, I’d like to try that as well.

just gained Counting the Days, by using the quite a moral afternoon - let’s make sure it’s appreciated option of the good deeds card. I’m guessing that the days quality is like a frequent menace-reduction rewards card

Edit for more on-topic matter: Aligned with a Faction: Docks shows a quality of 90 when placed on the mantlepiece.
edited by Andrew Zelinske on 4/4/2012

[quote=WintersNight]Just got another opportunity card, [[color=#ffffff]The Numismatrix[/color]] forces you to choose who your allied with, choose between [[color=#ffffff]The Constables, Society, The Church, The Bohemians, The Great Game, The Docks, The Urchins, Criminals, Hell, Revolutionaries, Or Tomb Colonists. I allied with the Criminals.[/color]] Once I chose my [[color=#ffffff]Spending Secrets quality went up to 4[/color]]
edited by WintersNight on 4/3/2012[/quote]

Did you have to do anything special to get this card? Like get a stat so high?

[quote=Branden Linton][quote=WintersNight]Just got another opportunity card, [[color=#ffffff]The Numismatrix[/color]] forces you to choose who your allied with, choose between [[color=#ffffff]The Constables, Society, The Church, The Bohemians, The Great Game, The Docks, The Urchins, Criminals, Hell, Revolutionaries, Or Tomb Colonists. I allied with the Criminals.[/color]] Once I chose my [[color=#ffffff]Spending Secrets quality went up to 4[/color]]
edited by WintersNight on 4/3/2012[/quote]

Did you have to do anything special to get this card? Like get a stat so high?[/quote]

I don’t think so. It seems to be just a matter of waiting for the card to pop up. but i may be wrong about that.

I’ve aligned myself with the Docks; because of my many zeefaring cryptozooarcheopaleontological missions, zailors have become natural allies.

Alas, no card dealing with my alignment has come up, even though other specifically aligned opportunities have arisen (but which I cannot take).

A note for players who’ve been around for a while: The “Learn from your Connections” card for your faction provides a tasty little use for the card instead of discarding

Regarding training cards that are associated with one’s faction, I have yet to see a “[b]Learn some violent lessons at the docks” (I am aligned with the docks), and I wonder if it’s not coming up because my dangerous quality is maxed out?

Any thoughts?
[/b]

There’s another thread asking for the “learn some” cards to be decreased at max level so I don’t think so. Possibly just poor luck sadly.

~MF

[quote=Alva St-Snow]Regarding training cards that are associated with one’s faction, I have yet to see a “[b]Learn some violent lessons at the docks” (I am aligned with the docks), and I wonder if it’s not coming up because my dangerous quality is maxed out?

Any thoughts?
[/b][/quote]

I don’t think maxing out has anything to do with whether the card comes up. I still get cards (got one today!) for improving my other qualities (the one I’m thinking of is for Persuasive) even though my stats have been pegged for a long time. Though, come to think of it, I may have been wearing equipment that took my Persuasive temporarily below 130 at the time.