Albion's Sun and the Liberation of Night

We know from the storylets in the Mausoleum that the Sun of Albion

was killed using something similar, at least in name, to the ‘unclear devices’ that we saw in Sunless sea
Now this brings up one question:
Was the Empress merely ‘inspired’ by those Revolutionaries that sought the Liberation of Night or did she collaborate with them / carefully manipulate them into helping her kill the sun?

edited by Maxi Reigl on 4/8/2018

[quote=Maxi Reigl]We know from the storylets in the Mausoleum that the Sun of Albion

was killed using something similar, at least in name, to the ‘unclear devices’ that we saw in Sunless sea

Now this brings up one question:

Was the Empress merely ‘inspired’ by those Revolutionaries that sought the Liberation of Night or did she collaborate with them / carefully manipulate them into helping her kill the sun?

EDIT: For some reason the second spoiler tags don’t work.
edited by Maxi Reigl on 4/6/2018[/quote]

For some reason, the forum software will only handle a single set of spoiler tags in a post properly; the second set will render literally, as you have discovered. You should keep this fact in mind in composing posts in which you would like to mention information that you prefer to spoiler tag.

Yeah, you should probably just put those two into the same spoiler-tag. Anyway:

[spoiler]It’s mentioned somewhere the device that killed the sun was an Unclear Bomb, and in Sunless Sea the item &quotUnclear Devices&quot are associated with anarchists. But what I think is more likely is that the Dawn Machine faction is responsible. Since the Clockwork Sun is being run by priests of the New Sequence, she’s clearly reconciled with them (perhaps they overthrew the old admiralty, perhaps she welcomed them back into the fold, or perhaps she too has been indoctrinated). Their understanding of the principles of the Judgements could very well have given them the understanding needed to destroy one.

Alternatively: Zubmariner and the end of the Season of Revolutions both make it clear that the Revolutionaries got the designs for the Liberation of Night from an alien entity symbolized by the gant eye/black sun. Perhaps that same entity independently contacted the Queen somehow.[/spoiler]
edited by aegisaglow on 4/7/2018

The New Sequencers in the Clockwork Sun seem to be a bit more subdued than the followers of the Dawn Machine were. The Half-glass prisoner would rather die or throw himself to the devils rather than return to the Clockwork Sun. The Steward goes mad, and in my game she ended up singing uselessly in her office. As far as I can tell, most of the engineers aren’t even followers of the New Sequence, and they consider the sun to be just as batty as anyone else.

Given this, the death of the existing sun, and the lack of New Sequencers anywhere else in Albion or the reach, I think it’s likely London won whatever war was going to be fought against the Dawn Machine. While there’s no direct proof of this last bit, I suspect the Clockwork Sun is the Dawn Machine, and that it sustained the injuries that are killing it during that battle in the Neath, which also seems to have killed everyone who had any idea how the damned thing could be repaired.