Advice on the Nadir

So I just made my first expedition into the cave. It was an interesting place story-wise, and a shame that one can’t stay in there for very long.[li]
With the limited amount of actions in mind, what would those of you more experienced in the cave recommend I look out for?
Which cards and actions yield the most profit, and which the most interesting snippets of story?
Are there any that should be avoided at all costs?
What level of irrigo should I let myself get to before I decide to retreat?
…and any other hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

I am no Nadir expert having made the trip somewhat hastily. But I do love my Strange-Shore Parabola Suit, and generally any piece of equipment only attainable there could be useful in the future. Also, Tears of the Bazaar are quite valuable, and a beautiful memento of the trip. You can find all Nadir cards outcomes here: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Cave_of_the_Nadir

If you let Irrigo get to 10 you lose 2 whole levels of stats. So only go to that stage if you have some very good cards in your deck.
Don’t forget the second chance trick for the very chancy persuasive challenges in the cave (click on perhaps not - you lose an action but get more goes at the card as it does not disappear)
The wiki is a very good resource for what each card gives and how much it raises your Irrigo.

If you leave at Irrigo >6, you’ll lose 5 CP stat for each point of irrigo; so if you leave at irrigo 8 you’ll lose 40CP (which is 80% of a level)
However, if you leave at Irrigo <6, you’ll only lose 1CP stat per point of Irrigo; so leaving at Irrigo 5 will only cost you 5CP (10% of a level) of each stat. Worth keeping in mind if you don’t want to keep playing catchup on your stats!

For the most part though, you might as well stay in for as long as you can. Just don’t get to 10 or you’ll be in for an unpleasant time (100CP of stat loss; two whole levels!)

Also, for profit-hunting, the best card is The Catafalque; you get 312.65 echoes from it for one action, making it very profitable indeed!

It had not occurred to me that the irrigo could soak into other things…I shall have to get myself a parabola-linen suit and try this out!
Thank you very much for all the tips, I should be able to easily handle myself in there now.

If you don’t mind me semi-derailing this thread, I have a dilemma. I haven’t yet sold the way to the Nadir, and I am Closest to Hell (and want to stay that way). I also appreciate rare and important items, and I don’t part with them when given a choice. For example, I dumped 800 echoes and 10 actions just to get an extra Ray-Drenched Cinder after I went into the Nadir. If I sell the location of the Nadir, the only thing I can get that can’t be obtained elsewhere is the Master’s Blood, which will put me Closest to the Revolutionaries. However, I don’t like the Revolutionaries. Their poetry is terrible and my interests lie elsewhere/Hell. Also, selling the location to the devils is terrible.

Any advice? Will Master’s Blood be available anytime else? Will I be able to switch back to Hell at all ever? (If anyone from FB wants to chime in, I won’t/can’t stop you)

[quote=OPG]If you don’t mind me semi-derailing this thread, I have a dilemma. I haven’t yet sold the way to the Nadir, and I am Closest to Hell (and want to stay that way). I also appreciate rare and important items, and I don’t part with them when given a choice. For example, I dumped 800 echoes and 10 actions just to get an extra Ray-Drenched Cinder after I went into the Nadir. If I sell the location of the Nadir, the only thing I can get that can’t be obtained elsewhere is the Master’s Blood, which will put me Closest to the Revolutionaries. However, I don’t like the Revolutionaries. Their poetry is terrible and my interests lie elsewhere/Hell. Also, selling the location to the devils is terrible.

Any advice? Will Master’s Blood be available anytime else? Will I be able to switch back to Hell at all ever? (If anyone from FB wants to chime in, I won’t/can’t stop you)[/quote]

I can’t help about the future availability of Master’s Blood, but sure there’s no hurry to sell the location. I am waiting myself, being closer to the Great Game and in no hurry to spill the bucket to anyone, mostly for your very same reasons ^^