Advice For Playing With Broken Toys

Spoiler-ing this for those who don’t want to know.

[color=#ffffff]In the Playing With Broken Toys storyline (the card comes with PWBT 4), when the little girl’s father tries to fix her toy soldier… DON’T HELP HIM. Oh god, I was horrified to realize what I’d done. Nnngh, and to think that’s where the bite mark came from in the other man’s shoe. W.T.F. shudders[/color]

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go sleep with the lights on. (T^T)

[quote=RageBox Alice]Spoiler-ing this for those who don’t want to know.

[color=#ffffff]In the Playing With Broken Toys storyline (the card comes with PWBT 4), when the little girl’s father tries to fix her toy soldier… DON’T HELP HIM. Oh god, I was horrified to realize what I’d done. Nnngh, and to think that’s where the bite mark came from in the other man’s shoe. W.T.F. shudders[/color]

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go sleep with the lights on. (T^T)[/quote]

I think I understand your feeling, bur SPOILER[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]I think I read on the Wiki that not helping him wouldn’t increase the Playing with Broken Toys value, thus I’m afraid that the only way to make progress in this storylet is sacrificing the innocent father. The bright side of it is that, especially if you’re playing a good or good-intentioned character, you’re provided with a strong reason to keep investigating - to get to the source of this evil and have vengeance for the father, and to keep “incidents” like these from happening again. Though I’m equally curious of learning why exactly this magnificent clockwork engineer decided to produce such random assassination devices.[/color]/SPOILER
edited by streetfelineblue on 4/14/2012

Hush! Your spoilder tag is not working.

Much worse; after writing the “spoiler” I FORGOT to white it out T.T Thanks for the heads-up!

I have to say, the shock and horror I got from the storylet made it worthy of comparison to an Edgar Allan Poe story. It really was exceptionally well-written.

So there was no way to avoid it. Hm, yes, now I feel compelled to keep investigating and put an end to this madness if possible.

Out of curiousity, what’s the harm in [color=#ffffff]my owning one of the toys[/color]? I [color=#ffffff]picked one up from a story card[/color]. And what do [color=#ffffff]the rats[/color] have to do with them, aside from obviously [color=#ffffff]having helped craft them[/color]?
edited by RageBox Alice on 4/14/2012

Tell me why I should value the fate of a single man more than the secret his death may reveal?

"Ruthless has not increased: this quality cannot currently increase past 9000.

You succeeded in a Ruthless challenge! (Simple challenges mean you don’t learn so much.) [?]"

Why am I not surprised that Alexander von Brennenburg cares little for the fate of one man? Though, I suppose such a death is far too quick to garner much vitae.

At lease we may have solace in that death seems to be rather temporary within the Neath. (I wouldn’t know, old habits of living die hard, and like suspicion, is quite avoidable. Scandal can be as well, unless you are interested in the pair of friendly devils who are still pestering me with an offer of something serious)

[quote=Alexander von Brennenburg]Tell me why I should value the fate of a single man more than the secret his death may reveal?

"Ruthless has not increased: this quality cannot currently increase past 9000.

You succeeded in a Ruthless challenge! (Simple challenges mean you don’t learn so much.) [?]"[/quote]

Well, considering how precious is Fate whilst a Secret can be bought at the Bazaar for 0.02 Echoes, I’d say the first one is quite more valuable than the other :)

Fair point, but I lack the necessary apparati to extract such a valuable asset from other people. Whilst fate is indeed far more valuable, I cannot obtain it from fellow citizens without a constant hassle of kindness and gifts, and I simply cannot bother to tie emotional links with everyone. Secrets, on the other hand, are notably easier to come by, act as a payment in numerous deal, and are, as Mr Chandler put it, “their own rewards.”

You will be delighted to know that the tenuous grasp of death combined with the…effects of the correspondence on untrained minds make the collection of that particular substance far less of a hassle. I assure you, setting up that kind of resource gathering down there is child’s play.
edited by Alexander von Brennenburg on 4/15/2012

Oh my.

Someone appears to have quoted me. I know not which grows faster, my ego or my smile. :)

[quote=T.W.O. Chandler]Oh my.

Someone appears to have quoted me. I know not which grows faster, my ego or my smile. :)[/quote]
Are you sure he didn’t mean Raymond Chandler?

[quote=RageBox Alice]Out of curiousity, what’s the harm in [color=#ffffff]my owning one of the toys[/color]? I [color=#ffffff]picked one up from a story card[/color]. And what do [color=#ffffff]the rats[/color] have to do with them, aside from obviously [color=#ffffff]having helped craft them[/color]?
edited by RageBox Alice on 4/14/2012[/quote]

The Playing With Broken Toys storyline continues on the card that tests/boosts the[color=#ffffff] Eyes of Icarus [/color]quality. At one point in that story, [color=#ffffff]having a Broken Toy[/color] is one option to continue the story, but I chose one of the other ones; there are some more clues about how [color=#ffffff]the rats[/color] are involved.

Well, considering that Raymond Chandler never wrote or said the line in question, while I came up with it and have it in my signature…

Yes, I’m pretty sure.
edited by T.W.O. Chandler on 4/16/2012