Advice for Merciless Mode

Yes, you have to be pastless, but the Sphinxstone run (you gotta do it many times) doesn’t end your game if you complete it. You could have done that run in your quest to seek the Lady In Black and thus save time.

Also, +10 Pages at the start is nothing to sneeze at. Combine it with the other Legacy item that adds +25 Pages and you start with 60 Pages! Pages is one of the hardest stats to level up and the more you have, the more Secrets you’ll get early on and thus other stats will level up faster.

[quote=Marsha Glade]Yes, you have to be pastless, but the Sphinxstone run (you gotta do it many times) doesn’t end your game if you complete it. You could have done that run in your quest to seek the Lady In Black and thus save time.

Also, +10 Pages at the start is nothing to sneeze at. Combine it with the other Legacy item that adds +25 Pages and you start with 60 Pages! Pages is one of the hardest stats to level up and the more you have, the more Secrets you’ll get early on and thus other stats will level up faster.[/quote]

You should note that Pages isn’t so great, you would have to max it out to make a true difference and by the time you do that you could have just used the secrets for something else(by the time you can max it out stats don’t matter anyways), a big problem Pages has is that remaining fragments won’t carry over to the next secret when you get the secret(so if you have 199 fragments and need 200 for a secret and then you get 50 fragments you will get your secrets but your fragments will go back to 0), this is of course free pages anyways but honestly you will probably only use the pages for lorn fluke farming(another mostly pointless thing because the end game of this game is extremely easy).
edited by The Master on 2/6/2017

Do you guys have any suggestion on what I should work to achieve next. My most recent captain is a soldier background one and I just started. But I lost so much progress being mid quests with going with the lady in black I need some sort of direction!

That’s what the ambition is for. I’d recommend going for your ambition as a starting point, and if not that, then do some major side quests, as I find those are the best way to get echoes in order to become established. I wouldn’t recommend finishing the ambition, but instead working toward another legacy item, maybe the one for going with the Merchant Venturer. (give him all the stuff he needs than then when he goes north, bring a Searing Enigma and you can go with him)

Every ten seconds, hunger increases by an amount equal to half your crew complement, rounded up. If a hunger increase would leave hunger at or above 50, one supply is consumed and hunger is set to zero. Because consuming a supply cuts hunger to zero regardless of the exact value hunger was increased to, taking on more crew won’t always increase the rate of supply consumption. Crews of anywhere between 17 and 24 will all consume one supply every 50 seconds, crews of 25-32 use one supply every 40 seconds, and crews of 33 or larger use one supply every 30 seconds.

You get a Scion when Memoirs: Zee-Fever reaches 25. You get one chance to increase it each time you dock in London with SAY, by giving an item to your child. Memories of Distant Shores and Zee-Stories each give +5, Visions of the Surface give +4, Live Specimens and Outlandish Artefacts give +7, and a Judgement’s Egg gives +15 (and the eternal shame of having wasted a Judgement’s Egg on a child). Oh, and you’ll also need to not forbid them from going to sea, which I hope is a no-brainer.

Veils has suddenly become very important for me now that I’m fiddling around with spy networks. It’s also proved useful in a few different high-risk, high-reward areas (e.g. the Wisp-Ways), so it’s probably good to at least keep it from falling behind your other non-Pages skills.

[quote=Anchovies]

Veils has suddenly become very important for me now that I’m fiddling around with spy networks. It’s also proved useful in a few different high-risk, high-reward areas (e.g. the Wisp-Ways), so it’s probably good to at least keep it from falling behind your other non-Pages skills.[/quote]

Honestly, I wouldn’t start with Veils. Once you feel like you can take on the world with your Mirrors and Irons, then you focus on the other stats; a comparison would be starting a game of FTL and avoiding all the fights and buying FTL Recharge Boosters so you can avoid them even quicker. You’ll find yourself alive but struggling later in the game as you can’t get much loot.
Whereas if you start with Irons and Mirrors, it’s like being armed with several Burst Lasers and a Pre-Igniter. All that loot coming in will help you build your other stats for when you need them.

Things like Spy Networks and other stealthy encounters are for when you’re established as a one-ship naval superpower (or at least you can farm Lifebergs without taking hits or losing too many supplies and fuel in each fight) and thus can spare the Secrets on Veils and Hearts.

[quote=Marsha Glade][quote=Anchovies]

Veils has suddenly become very important for me now that I’m fiddling around with spy networks. It’s also proved useful in a few different high-risk, high-reward areas (e.g. the Wisp-Ways), so it’s probably good to at least keep it from falling behind your other non-Pages skills.[/quote]

Honestly, I wouldn’t start with Veils. Once you feel like you can take on the world with your Mirrors and Irons, then you focus on the other stats; a comparison would be starting a game of FTL and avoiding all the fights and buying FTL Recharge Boosters so you can avoid them even quicker. You’ll find yourself alive but struggling later in the game as you can’t get much loot.
Whereas if you start with Irons and Mirrors, it’s like being armed with several Burst Lasers and a Pre-Igniter. All that loot coming in will help you build your other stats for when you need them.

Things like Spy Networks and other stealthy encounters are for when you’re established as a one-ship naval superpower (or at least you can farm Lifebergs without taking hits or losing too many supplies and fuel in each fight) and thus can spare the Secrets on Veils and Hearts.[/quote]

[li]
Frankly, I don’t find Mirrors and Irons to be much help, seeing as your combat ability is very much dependent upon your ship and weapons. You can have Mirrors in the hundreds and still be crap if your gun is the starting weapon, and running away is a much more effective strategy until you get a ship with a Forward weapon and some better hull. Also, as opposed to FTL, where the main method of advancement is killing things and taking their stuff, in Sunless Sea the best money-making proposition I’ve found is completing major quests like the Last Curator’s requests, the Principles of Coral quest, and the Merchant Venturer’s quests. As such, going for Veils doesn’t cripple you like avoiding fights would in FTL.

And if you’ve got some decent Irons, you can destroy nearby enemy ships in as little time as possible, saving money on fuel and supplies and needing less repairs (Nothing more annoying than a Zee-Bat swarm with 1HP left). Plus you get a little something extra to help in those quests.
Break open a pirate ship and you might get yourself that Firkin of Prisoner’s Honey you need. Or a resupply that is worth the resources expended trying to get it.

At least get enough of Irons so you can do a minimum of 20HP damage with whatever gun you can afford.

Combat is definitely a good source of income in the mid-game. Once I upgraded to the Corvette with the Hellthrasher on deck and the Majesty on forward (later replaced by the Momento Mori), I was able to pull in a fair amount of supplies and fuel from the pirates of Corsair’s Forest and the rat-barges around Nuncio. The Pirate-Poet also proved a rather nice source of cash, coughing up as many as 400 echoes along with fuel and supplies each time I sunk her ship, so keep an eye out for those Alcaeus-Class Corvettes.

Another thing which I’ve found rather useful: keep a good supply of Zee-Stories, Tales of Terror!!, Memories of Distant Shores, and Visions of the Surface. Of the four, I found the Zee-Story and MoDS were most useful, but the four can be exchanged between at Irem. Having a few of the right sort on hand at the right time can produce nice returns or get you out of a sticky situation, and they can also be used to accumulate Secrets at the Mangrove College or fuse Strategic Information into Vital Intelligence.

Carrying water at the Adam’s Way Animescence Hospital is a fairly easy Hearts challenge (84 for 100%) which returns one of each of the four types, at no cost beyond the Unread Log necessary to enter Adam’s Way. One Lamentable Relic can be traded for three Unread Logs at Codex with a Something Awaits You, and each Unread Log gives four actions at Adam’s Way, so (with a decent Hearts score) one Lamentable Relic can be converted to twelve of each of Zee-Stories, Tales of Terror!!, Memories of Distant Shores, and Visions of the Surface. Better still, while the tree at Adam’s Way is &quottall and strong&quot or &quotflowering&quot, spending one action to catch a falling nut has an 80% chance of returning a Lamentable Relic, making the Adam’s Way-Codex loop entirely self-sustaining with only those two stops.

Since the coastal tiles are in fixed locations, the trip’s moderately long, but it’s not a bad route at all. Along with the aforementioned easy access to Stories/Tales/Memories/Visions, there’s also many profitable trade routes between the coastal ports; most notable are Darkdrop Coffee from Port Carnelian to London for 6 echoes’ profit per unit, Mushroom-Wine from London to Venderbight for 3 echoes per unit, Mushroom-Wine from London to Adam’s Way for 3 echoes per unit, and Parabola-Linen from the House of Pleasures in the Iron Republic to Adam’s Way for 6 echoes per unit. All in all it’s a very nice route if you need to do a bit of grinding; the only troublesome bit is the Blue Prophets, who’re fast enough to be tough to avoid.

Another good place in the vein of Adam’s Way is Godfall, where a Hunting-Trophy can be traded for one Zee-Story, one Tale of Terror!!, one Memory of Distant Shores, and up to 20 Fragments. The supply of fragments makes this combine well with the Mangrove College for grinding Secrets, and it’s not hard to get up to your ears in hunting trophies. The only other repeatable use for them I’ve found which doesn’t consume Something Awaits You is giving them to the Sisters at Abbey Rock, which reduces Terror, clears Hunger, gives a Memory of Distant Shores, and grants Stone’s Attention; situationally useful, but Godfall is significantly better.

My current captain had the good fortune to encounter Polythreme, Godfall, Wisdom, and the Coral Principles in close proximity to each other, which was a nice little arrangement. The Bound-Sharks and Albino Morays of the Principles and the Sea of Lilies yielded plenty of Hunting-Trophies and a fair amount of Stygian Ivory, which were spent at Godfall and sold at Polythreme respectively. Frequent passing between tiles caused the zee-beasts to respawn often, Unprepossessing Masses kept my crew fed, and stops at Port Cecil let me refuel and consume Something Awaits You to gather Scintillack for my next trip back to London.
edited by Anchovies on 3/1/2017