Advancing my qualities rather quickly..

Hello, I come to you in a time of, albeit slight, need. I am currently working on my ability to become a Person Of Some Importance, however, once I had the ability to gain one hundred in my main stat. (Shadowy) I am unable to progress any further in the line, as I cannot get my other qualities up high enough. So far my progress has let me increase my base Shadowy to 80 (+25), Persuasive to 50 (+12), Dangerous to 33(+9), and Watchful to 44(+6). I would like to know if there are any stories that I could pursue that would give me a reasonable boost in my qualities. How long they take to complete is of no importance. Things like exterminating a particularly nasty breed of vermin from my home and selling the secrets of a tattoo are things I have thus far completed, and been satisfied with the resulting Persuasive and Dangerous boost. If you would point me in the direction of similar activities I would be ever so thankful.
~BlazingIce26

P.s. - As this is still related to the topic at hand, I have yet to find a patron who might assist me in my efforts of raising my qualities, if you’re the sort who looks towards personal gain rather than magnanimity my Making Waves is currently 8 and I would be happy to sacrifice some of it should you need assistance keeping your Notability steady.
edited by BlazingIce26 on 10/23/2014

I’d suggest both a training profession and getting a patron (post on the forum thread for this). Finally, do social actions at your lodgings and spend second chances on advancing your levels.

There are also four living stories which give you up to 140CP in one of the stats and which may be repeated every few days; you get Dream of Other Places (Watchful) from Deciphering graffiti in Ladybones Road, The Subject of Admiring Attention (Persuasive) from Telling a risqué joke in Veilgarden, A Name Written in Blood (Dangerous) from the harder option in Donate your body to science in Watchmaker’s Hill, and That Which Waits in Shadow (Shadowy) from Snaffling couriered messages in Spite.

Oh really? I actually didn’t know about any of these things, I figured those options were things that would just give me a couple CP (I.e., 10 or so) and take my turn for a bit of flavour text

My recommendation would be to avoid storylets and cards that give you 61-80% chance of success, and use your items to get a value that gives you 85-90% chance of success, so you’ll be more likely to succeed and get more than 1 CP for the Action it takes to attempt something. For maximum CPs you want to aim for 10%, 30%, 40%, 60% and 90%, but not slightly above either one, as then you’ll be in a new CP-reward bracket without actually having a significantly higher chance of success. So 31% is treated like 40%, which gives you less CPs than 30%. It is extra important for 90-91%, as the 91-100% bracket gives 1 CP for success, which isn’t much fun when you still have 9% risk of failure, but get about half the CPs of what you’d get at 90% (2 CPs for success at 61-90%).

Some of the new The Airs of London-dependent storylets in Ladybones Road, Veilgarden and Watchmaker’s Hill seem good for increasing stats, as they are not locked into the slow, menace-ridden 61-80% range. You might also want to investigate the Melancholy Curate and his Sister. And Seeking Curious and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter is a good way to increase all stats. You just need a lot of laudanum to deal with the Nightmares, and then the half-full bottles from the cavalry officer in Spite to heal the Wounds from the laudanum. Spend an evening of relaxation at the Parlour of Virtue to heal both wounds and nightmares. With three laudanum you’ll effectively spend four actions to reduce nightmares by 17 CPs!

You could also try finding friends who are willing to exchange social actions that give second chances (link), because those give you roughly 5 CP/Action when you use those second chances to increase your stats (5 second chances for 1-50 CPs). I did some of that way back when, before I figured out that once my stats were capped, I’d still need more money, so why not make money first and let the stats trickle in as a side-effect?

Well, I just tried these…

Looks like the Persuasive one can only be tried a few times or something as I didn’t get a story from it, so enjoy it while you can. I’ve out leveled donate your body, so likewise, enjoy. Looks like watchful and shadowy will be companions for a good long time.

Oh, I am so sorry! I seem to have forgotten to mention that some of those (Persuasive and Watchful) are actually Rare Successes, so you might have to try the storylet a few times in order to trigger the living story (but don’t worry, they aren’t that rare - according to this delicious spreadsheet, the Persuasive &quotRare success&quot is actually slightly more common than the standard success).

As for the Dangerous story, it actually seems like your Dangerous isn’t high enough for that yet - so instead, you can get the Living story from the riskier option in A marksmanship competition for a prize of jade, also in Watchmaker’s Hill.

Sorry again about the mix-up, it has been quite some time since I did those stories.

If I put on the talkitive rattus faber, “donate your body” shows up again… so I know I’m past it, but not beyond being able to do it again for the boost.

Slightly amusing that I get a bigger boost from the living story, then I would from using the turn at stat level content.

Thanks for the note about some of them being “common” rare successes, that actually explains a few things.

Interesting.%20According%20to%20the%20wiki%2C%20Donate%20your%20body%20to%20science%20unlocks%20at%2041%20and%20locks%20at%2055%20Dangerous%2C%20so%20with%20Dangerous%2033+9%3D42%20as%20per%20the%20original%20post%2C%20you%20should%20be%20able%20to%20access%20it%20-%20unless%20the%20unlock%20levels%20were%20changed.%3Cdiv%3EEdit%3A%20Ignore%20this%20post%2C%20I%27m%20babbling%20nonsense.%26nbsp%3B%3C/div%3E
edited by Asfodella on 10/24/2014

… I’m not the original post.

(just posting the view from further on in, because it’s still useful at slightly higher levels … locked even with fabber at 67 is good to know, to be honet)
edited by ICountFrom0 on 10/24/2014

I did not know this. My young(ish) alt salutes you. With all stats around 80 it’s becoming a bit of a slog now you can’t abuse starter professions and a talkative rat. This will help, thanks!

[quote=Ben ]… I’m not the original post.

(just posting the view from further on in, because it’s still useful at slightly higher levels … locked even with fabber at 67 is good to know, to be honet)
[/quote]
Oh dear, this is embarrasing. I am so sorry, I have no idea how I managed to confuse you with the OP. This is why posting while tired is a bad idea. So sorry again.

And I believe that it should be possible to access it even with Dangerous as high as 72, if you equip other Dangerous-reducing equipment along with the Rattus Faber.

[quote=yetanotherone]
I did not know this. My young(ish) alt salutes you. With all stats around 80 it’s becoming a bit of a slog now you can’t abuse starter professions and a talkative rat. This will help, thanks![/quote]
I’m glad that I could help!

I’ve managed to get the “A living story will start soon” on the Watchful and Persuasive options, However since Dangerous is my lowest stat, it’s what i’d like to get up the most right now, but after trying the harder option in donate your body to science around 5 times (Not succeeding each time, but still) I didn’t get the “a living story has started soon” May I also ask how living stories work? Will I recieve some notification when I can continue the story? I haven’t gotten anything outside of the “a living story will start soon” notification.

[quote=BlazingIce26]May I also ask how living stories work? Will I recieve some notification when I can continue the story? I haven’t gotten anything outside of the &quota living story will start soon&quot notification.[/quote]When they work they take a week, and then you’ll get access to a storylet through your messages. Once you’ve played that storylet by picking the option with the highest requirement (since that gives the most CPs), you’re free to go activate that same living story again. At some point they will stop working though, even if you get the message saying that &quotA living story will start soon&quot. And I’m not sure exactly when, but maybe around 70, possibly affected by item modifiers?

Not getting the living story message from talking through your wounds sounds like you’ve already activated that living story, but I’m not sure.