Accomplishments

[color=#C2B280]Recently, we’ve been thinking about accomplishments. I have a couple of questions.

• Are there some accomplishment qualities which you especially like, or are particularly proud of?[/li][li]Do you have any other qualities which feel like they should be accomplishments?

I think a number of currently Story qualities would make good Accomplishments; Vermin-Free, Metaphysical Caprice, and basically any (may be the key to your future) qualites seem good candidates.

it would be nice if each time we reach a significant milestone in our ambitions, we recieved an accomplishment in addition to our quality.

In addition, I think a Bringer of death has the tone and rarity to make it worth considering for promotion to accomplishment.

What I think should be in the Accomplishment category:
A Scholar of the Correspondence (you worked hard for that, and even harder to boost it)
A Bringer of Death
A Finder of Heiresses (Watchful equivalent to A Fine Piece in the Game and a conclusion)
Archaeologist (Watchful equivalent to Master Thief / Procurer of Savage Beasts?)
A Veteran of Mr Sacks’ Visits
[color=000000]A Bitter Parting: the Master Jewel Thief
A Bitter Parting: the Celebrated Artist’s Model[/color]

Some of the Accomplishments really felt like they shouldn’t be Accomplishments, given their tone and that there was no challenge or anything at all.
Temple Club Membership
A Power in Waiting

Closest to _______

Especially Closest to, seems to be more like a Major Lateral quality to me.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 4/22/2015

Overgoat / Ubergoat / Heptagoat ownership counts. So does having a Noman tattoo. Maybe have one for cryptobotanical rosette. ‘Completing’ each area could be worth one. Zee voyager, maybe. A momento of passion at court. Going to every menace area. Going to every non-fatelocked area / opening all routes. Succeeding at a 1% success chance, failing at a 99% chance. Hitting max stats. Opening the cave of the Nadir. Getting all lodgings. Upgrading all lodgings. Recovering your soul. Getting a blemmigan secretary. Getting a starvling cat. Getting cider. Getting stormy-eyed. Seeking the name.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Should be:

1. Acquaintance: the Captivating Princess. I mean I realise, by definition, it’s an Acquaintance but I was super chuffed and felt quite accomplished when I got it. Maybe tie-it in somehow to the Nocturnal Visitor to Palace Cellars story and then give some Accomplishment as a combined reward. “Enmeshed in Palace Affairs” or something like that.

2. Stormy-Eyed. Again, similar to the Princess, this sits naturally in a different category, so perhaps a related but distinct Accomplishment. “Seen the mind of the god” or something

3. Various collecting accomplishments: e.g. “collected every wine item” or “completed every artistic work at the Palace”

4. Various unique-ish items: Corruscating Goats, Heptasouls, Addresses of Impossible One-time Theorems, etc

Should not be:

1. In addition to Estelle’s anti-suggestions, I don’t think The Bazaar’s Questions should be an accomplishment, especially since the actual answers to those questions are Circumstances.

2. Enjoying Lethal prominence feels like it ought to be an accomplishment but, in my view, fails. The only thing you need to do to get is to become a PoSI which already is an accomplishment and it’s purpose is simply a carousel, which doesn’t feel very accomplish-y.

The items can speak for themselves to show your accomplishment without extra qualities. So is Nadir, Zee Voyagers, Noman Tattoo (especially since that one was specifically stated to have no reward)

Although I do think an accomplishment should be awarded for having a threesome on the Empress’ throne, to differentiate it from the other two courtly romance and to compensate for the removal of the fate reward.

If it’s just about the actual quality (no matter how high), then:

• POSI specializations (i.e. Extraordinary Mind, etc.)[/li][li]Profession[/li][li]An Editor of Newspapers (e.g. Defender of Truth)[/li][li]Tattoos (first and second &quota skin bound memory&quot)[/li][li]Closest to[/li][li]Identified with a School[/li][li]K&C: A Pride Parade of Victories, Assassin of Assassins, etc.[/li][li]Fist of the Bazaar? Empire’s Kingmaker?

If the value is also important, then:

• Scholar of the Correspondence level (first few levels are easy; getting to the high values is a major accomplishment)[/li][li]Seeking level :-)

Probably my proudest accomplishment in-game - because it represents the ONLY aspect of Fallen London in which I regularly triumph over the RNG - is being a 5-time Cryptobotanical Champion.

No doubt there are others with more than 5 Rosettes… but there are many, many people that have fewer, despite having participated in the Tournament of Lilies for a long time! Mine will remain on my mantelpiece for a while, I think.

I guess I feel like accomplishments should be a) something you have to work at in order to get and b) potentially not Fate-locked. idk,maybe something like Secrets Framed in Gold would have a specific accomplishment attached to completing the storyline. or…not completing it all the way.

another option might be that you could submit player-specific accomplishments to approval? like alzar’s velocipedes. or that time someone collected 101 Parabolan kittens. although this is starting to sound like a Mantelpiece or Scrapbook type deal.

…The Amanuensis looks up at you with an air of befuddlement. &quotAnd you wish that to be inscribed in your Slowcakes entry.&quot He scribbles in a small notebook. &quotVery well. I’ll see to it.&quot

…I guess the question is how you would differentiate Accomplishments enough from categories we already have set in place.

[quote=Marianne Anders]I guess I feel like accomplishments should be a) something you have to work at in order to get and b) potentially not Fate-locked. idk,maybe something like Secrets Framed in Gold would have a specific accomplishment attached to completing the storyline. or…not completing it all the way.

another option might be that you could submit player-specific accomplishments to approval? like alzar’s velocipedes. or that time someone collected 101 Parabolan kittens. although this is starting to sound like a Mantelpiece or Scrapbook type deal.

…The Amanuensis looks up at you with an air of befuddlement. &quotAnd you wish that to be inscribed in your Slowcakes entry.&quot He scribbles in a small notebook. &quotVery well. I’ll see to it.&quot

…I guess the question is how you would differentiate Accomplishments enough from categories we already have set in place.[/quote]

Acomplishment is already one of the qualities categories we have in place- the question is, what should be moved in or out from that category? currently, filling out a survey is an accomplishment, but not killing someone permanantly, for instance.

Accomplishments I’m especially proud of:
&quotJack’s Gone&quot
&quotHonored With A Statue&quot
&quotAn Explorer of the Unterzee&quot
&quotA Fine Piece In the Game&quot

Accomplishments I’d want added:
Topping out an Ambition for an area (which is also a helpful signpost to tell you to move on!)
&quotA Skin-Bound Memory&quot.
Something for wrapping up the Cave of the Nadir. (I’d consider this an accomplishment I’m especially proud of.)
Something for completing The Tale of the Fidgeting Writer.
&quotVermin-Free&quot.
Breeding a Hound of Heaven. Also, separately, a Bifrucated Owl.
Reaching the last stage of The Boatman’s Opponent, and winning (I haven’t done this yet, so not sure if it’s already an accomplishment.)
&quotThe Dilmun Club: Loyalties&quot (though this will be less significant once that content boundary is moved)
Finishing the University.

Things I don’t consider accomplishments:
&quotAn Admirer Of&quot: I don’t actually remember how I felt when I got it, but the associated opportunity card means I only associate regret with it now.
&quotEnjoying Lethal Prominence&quot : Conceptually it’s quite cool, but I didn’t actually do anything to &quotearn&quot it, other than becoming a PoSI, which is it’s own accomplishment.

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)][quote=]Acomplishment is already one of the qualities categories we have in place- the question is, what should be moved in or out from that category? currently, filling out a survey is an accomplishment, but not killing someone permanantly, for instance. [/quote][/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]haha wow now i feel silly.[/color]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]um, being an Admirer of Art and Beauty don’t feel much like accomplishments, more like hindrances. or acquaintanceship. [/color]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]I feel like tattoos would be a good addition as well as others. maybe having quadfailed? [/color]

The various “An Editor of Newspapers” accomplishments are especially good. If only because, as far as I can tell, they are the only benefit to be had for actually making a newspaper.

I am rather proud of completing the university storyline, (even though it resulted in my being thrown out), and my Voyage of scientific discovery to make my way back into the university.
Also, I’d say completing the cheesemonger storyline is an achievement, and one I am quite proud of.
Others that could be included - Professions, getting a tattoo, finding the Nadir, getting your first point of notability ( I recently got my first point and am EXTREMELY proud)