About: The Writer's Desk: finish a Short Story

The last two in the list, I don’t understand how you could reach them?

Potentially celebrated takes 150. In theory I might get to exactly 138 and use a favours.

Potentially classic takes 200. There’s only so many case notes in the entire game. It looks like every case I got some of these from is a one time plot.

How ELSE can I raise these values? I vaguely recall a trade secret being able to be used before the rewrite of &quotA name signed with a flourish&quot but it does not look possible now.

Any clues?

I believe trade secrets are still usable and a classic short story requires two - if you’re feeling lucky.

Yep, you definitely need Trade Secrets to make a Classic Story.

Also if it works like Taste of Lacre, using a Blackmail Material with 149 potential would raise it to 161 potential. Still not great but better than nothing.

Also, am I right in thinking there’s a higher chance of success (and so potentially spending fewer Trade Secrets) overall from trying twice using two trade secrets each time than from trying once using four?

Okay, so there’s more options that don’t show up when you don’t have them?

What else is a hidden option?

Just that, to my knowledge.

[quote=Optimatum]

Also, am I right in thinking there’s a higher chance of success (and so potentially spending fewer Trade Secrets) overall from trying twice using two trade secrets each time than from trying once using four?[/quote]

But is it worth it, monetary (I am including all the actions needed, not just ,materials)?
I believe it does not. I myself already spent 4 Trading Secrets to ensure the success.

Unless I’m reading the wiki wrong, four Trade Secrets would only give ~75% chance. Absolutely guaranteed success would need seven trade secrets and optimizing the order of spending items.

Yes, I gave 5 TS, got my potential up to 276 and it’s 82% success.

So unless my math is wrong, using two Trade Secrets twice would give a ~85% chance and potentially only take two months. I think I’ll go with that method.

Can’t see what you did there.
I gave 5 TS, each TS a month of waiting. only got to 82% (276 Potential).
You can only achieve 161 potential if carefully planned, without the TS.

Using two trade secrets starting at 161 potential gives 211 potential for a 63% chance. 1-(1-.63)^2 = .8631 or 86.31% of success on at least one of two attempts.

Ah. I understand now. Two attempts! That is A LOT of actions (1.64 EPA with Affair of the Box) and materials.
Yes, it’s faster, but I would not recommend it echo wise.

Echo wise I wouldn’t recommend going for a Classic Short Story at all :P

Ah. I understand now. Two attempts! That is A LOT of actions (1.64 EPA with Affair of the Box) and materials.
Yes, it’s faster, but I would not recommend it echo wise.[/quote]
Even compared to using five, 5, trade secrets? how many echoes in actions and materials would you say getting to that point costs?
edited by Grenem on 2/3/2016

I don’t know about actions, but getting to Potential 161 takes 65 echoes or more of goods, not counting the value-less Hard-Earned Lessons.

(Manuscript Pages up to Potential 60, six uses of Hard-Earned Lessons to 78, five Zee-Ztories to 88, five 2.50 echo items to 113, and finally four Blackmail Material to 161.)
edited by Optimatum on 2/3/2016