About the Eater of Names's spawn point

I’m trying to find the Eater of Names, and failing. I’ve found and killed it with previous captains, but my current captain is failing completely after several hours of searching. I’d like to know whether I’m just unlucky, or whether I’m doing something wrong. Searching the internet gives a lot of confusing information, considering how the game has been available through lots of changes. So I have a couple of questions about spawning in general and the Eater of Names in particular:[li]

• Is it possible the the thing just isn’t available in my current savegame/map combination, and is there a way to find out whether that’s the case?
  • Is quitting and restarting the game every time I’ve searched the whole Chelonate square of the map (with my save game stationed in the Chelonate) the right way to look for it? I’ve gotten different results in terms of Fluke spawning, so I was expecting to also find different results in terms of whether or not I spawn the Eater.
  • Is there a set spawn point on my map, and is there a way to know where it is?

I’ve found two places in the Chelonate square where Flukes seem to spawn occasionally (one for sure, the other I’ve only seen once, but couldn’t really have come from the first point since I started the game), but I don’t know how that relates to where the Eater should spawn.

I don’t know anything official, but I do know I’ve often seen him near Sachatown in my games.

Yes, I noticed people find him there a lot when searching for info, but he definitely doesn’t spawn there in my game - I went straight there every time the first 10 or so times I searched. And I guess Sachatown isn’t in the same place for everyone, so it might just be that he spawns there in some possible layouts of the Chelonate tile but not in all.

What I really want to know is: is it possible he spawns nowhere for my current captain, and is there a way to be sure?

The chelonate has 2 spawn points. Fluke and Eater. I don’t have the game files to hand but I think chelonate spawns 0-2 enemies. This means you might find 0.

The chelonate has three layouts. Each layout gas both spawns. The easiest way to ensure seeing him is to sail around and around. If you see the fluke, kill it. If there’s nothing, dock and then quit the game and reload. Don’t just quit to menu. I think the randomiser isn’t reset unless you quit the game.

I’m having exactly the same problem, Soupturtle - infuriating! I want to found a colony and can’t face the stat loss for the other option, so I’ve got no real alternative other than to keep doing laps of the Chelonate…

[quote=SporksAreGoodForYou]The chelonate has 2 spawn points. Fluke and Eater. I don’t have the game files to hand but I think chelonate spawns 0-2 enemies. This means you might find 0.
[/quote]

To that note, while I have seen the eater in my game, it is not a frequent occurrence. I have noticed that sometimes I get over there and I don’t see any enemies…which has been good for me because most of the time I’m still in the beginning ship.

Didn’t realize it was necessary for founding the colony…looks like I’ll be facing the same issue at some point as well.

[quote=SporksAreGoodForYou]The chelonate has 2 spawn points. Fluke and Eater. I don’t have the game files to hand but I think chelonate spawns 0-2 enemies. This means you might find 0.

The chelonate has three layouts. Each layout gas both spawns. The easiest way to ensure seeing him is to sail around and around. If you see the fluke, kill it. If there’s nothing, dock and then quit the game and reload. Don’t just quit to menu. I think the randomiser isn’t reset unless you quit the game.[/quote]Thanks for the information! [color=#c2c2c2]I’ll just keep searching then. :)[/color]

And to add to the anecdotal evidence: I was finding him pretty regular in Sachatown, last run. Sometimes in twos and threes. (I actually sold 5 of the figureheads at once on one trip back through the Khanate).

Bizarrely, I did eventually find the thing right at Sachatown, even though I had gone there straight from starting up the game at least 10 times previously. So I guess I was just really unlucky (as in 1:1000 unlucky). I did sail in from another square this time rather than starting the game while already in the Chelonate, but I don’t see how that would make a difference.

It’s not strictly necessary - you have 2 options to get things that protect against sunlight. One from Irem and the other from the Dawn Machine. The Dawn Machine one is the one that requires the figurehead of the Eater of Names. On the other hand, the Irem one requires levelling all your stats up to 100.

I know this is an old thread, but it’s a top result in google for the eater of names, so i’ll post here anyway. Just to say it’s definitely NOT necessary to quit and restart the game, to reset the spawn points. At least as of right now, reloading a save file is enough.

For me at least, the eater of names always spawns right next to saschatown, so the best way to find it is save at the chelonate, sail there, and reload if it’s not there. repat until it appears.

Hope this helps!

Spawn points that I’ve noticed are next to Sachatown and next to the ribs sticking out of the water.