A Visit from A Cloaked Stranger (Spoilers?)

It seems that Pyro’s breeding program has been spotted by the Masters. I’ve been saving my free Fate for a while (22 now) for one of the four Stories (long-lost daughter etc.) but the breeding program is quite intriguing and more in-character.[li]

It’s a rather heavy investment (20 Fate) so my questions are:

1. Are the pets worth it?
  2. Do I need to invest additional Fate/Nex to get them?

Took the plunge. Well it does look quite exciting. (this formula that I obtained is reusable right?)[li]
edited by Pyrodinium on 3/7/2014

[quote=Pyrodinium]Took the plunge. Well it does look quite exciting. (this formula that I obtained is reusable right?)

edited by Pyrodinium on 3/7/2014[/quote]

The pets are good, the formula is yours forever, and the higher level pets are now resellable. I’d say it’s a good option.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 3/7/2014

The long lost daughter is not worth it compared to other uses of the fate cost. I can’t speak for the rubbery murders. The soul trade is a very interesting piece of content, but it’s a bit insubstantial unless you also get into the tragic tale of the regretful soldier, which is also fate locked. As for the extended breeding program, the pets are quite interesting, but not strong stat wise, compared to recent holiday pets like the scuttering squad or the upper end feast pets. They do give opportunity cards, which can be good or bad depending on if you find them useful. To get the complete set though, you need to buy into flute street also, which fate locked as well. Without flute street though, it does unlock an interesting series of opportunity cards and a BDR transport.

It is indeed reusable! I think you’ll be happy with your purchase. Most of the pets just require the formula, and the story that comes with it requires one of these. Two of the pets require access to Flute Street, which is another 25 Fate, but Flute Street is good enough to justify purchase in itself, making the Bifurcated Owl a nice bonus rather than the point of going there. Have fun!

The opp card for the Dream Hound is especially worth it, as it’s an extra option for sapping nightmares.

Ah I’m quite enjoying my Ocelot. He does have a rather painful way of teaching scholarly things though. I’ll be hunting some Plated Seals soon to see what they do (don’t spoil please :D ).

I like the Soul Trade primarily for the Shepherd of Souls card, which for 1000 Souls and 100 Infernal Contracts will give you a 10-level (not cp, LEVEL) boost to Society, Constables and Church all at once, as well as dramatically reducing menaces…

[li]

It doesn’t just reduce menaces. It eliminates them. Pretty awesome.

I haven’t gotten the card when I actually had significant quantities of menace for awhile so I couldn’t recall, but you’re right. Anyway, it’s a great card.

[li]

[quote=Catherine Raymond]I like the Soul Trade primarily for the Shepherd of Souls card, which for 1000 Souls and 100 Infernal Contracts will give you a 10-level (not cp, LEVEL) boost to Society, Constables and Church all at once, as well as dramatically reducing menaces…
[li][/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]Maybe I’ve not paid attention, but I can’t recall any benefit to my being a spirifer except fitting my in character belief that I’m not necessarily evil, merely collecting and protecting the souls of those too careless to retain them…

[/li]

The Spirifer storylet at Ladybones gives you 3000 Nevercold Brass for 1000 Souls, along with a boost to Connected: Hell. I haven’t found a better way to grind Souls than through Unfinished Business in Spite. Assuming an average of 60 souls (this is likely off, since I don’t know the maximum amount of Souls you can get but it’s definitely over a hundred): 1000/60=16.6; rounded up (you can’t have part of an action) that equals 17. +1 for the exchange=18.
3000/18=166.6 pence per action, or 1.66 Echoes.
The actual average is probably a bit higher than that, and the Echo cost of Connected: Hell might also boost the worth of this action up a little. The problem with using Unfinished Business to grind is that it’s extremely variable; you could come off a lot richer or a lot poorer depending entirely on luck. And we all know how insane–er, insanely awesome (please don’t hurt me o god of devilbone dice)–the RNG is.
[li]

Sorry for asking another question but should I sell my Fate locked pets, can I breed them back again with the right components?

Yes!

Awesome! This was indeed a good buy.

Yeah, the Empyrean Redolence is a solid copper-bottom investment - good story, good rewards, good fun.