A thank you for the most heartwarming storylet

Dear Failbetter writers,

It’s been a long time that I wanted to write this piece of feedback. Inspired by your post, I finally decided to do so, and I decided to make it public. I’m sure other players will share my opinion.

There is a storylet in the game that I found the most touching, the most heartwarming, and perhaps the most rewarding as well by quite a margin. Unfortunately, it’s an intersection of 3 EF/Fate storylines (which is amazing in itself!), so I can only hint at its contents and put it under spoiler.

I guess most Londoners know the Regretful Soldier. He is a likable fellow who always seems so, so deep in melancholy and sadness. It always felt important to at least try to make him feel better, even if some of the attempts are not very efficient.

However, it’s not until one gains entry to the House of Chimes than the reasons for this depression are known. Makes one even more concerned about him…

However, a certain other Fate-locked story allows to intervene in his fate. Having done the, in my opinion, right thing I was disheartened to see that the usual visit card did not reflect any improvement in his condition.

That is until, completely by surprise, you meet him in the course of another story, involving a certain equine Fate-locked beast. A storylet that forks depending on whether you did anything at the House of Chimes storyline conclusion, and oh my, the warmth from the choice I made.

That little snippet of text really had an amazing effect. So long after I’ve done something at the expense of Fate, motivated by compassion towards a character, suddenly and unexpectedly blooms into fruition in a very satisfying way. It felt reactive. It felt, more than anything in Fallen London for me, as a consequence of my actions.

Whoever decided to include that card, hats off to you.
edited by Alistair Cray on 1/20/2016

I’m curious whether I’m close to unlocking this (haven’t read the spoiler yet). Which storylines lead to this?

I took my Soldier’s soul then left him as a statue in the Elder Continent… so I’m guessing I don’t get the heartwarming card.

Restoring the soul of his wife, then the Obdurate Stallion has its own storyline, it’s a card that randomly appears in the middle of it.

edited by Alistair Cray on 1/20/2016

It’s the only rewarding thing about being a Shepherd…but it is VERY rewarding :D

[quote=TheThirdPolice]\

I took my Soldier’s soul then left him as a statue in the Elder Continent… so I’m guessing I don’t get the heartwarming card.

[li]
Come now, that’s perfectly heartwarming to your closest Devil acquaintances!

[quote=Cordelia Blackburne][quote=TheThirdPolice]\

[li]
Come now, that’s perfectly heartwarming to your closest Devil acquaintances![/quote]
Not true. They’d be ambivalent at best. Devils don’t love betrayal or destruction for their own sake. They like souls, but the second half isn’t heartwarming, even to a [FL] Devil.
[/li]

[quote=Grenem][quote=Cordelia Blackburne][quote=TheThirdPolice]\

[li]
Come now, that’s perfectly heartwarming to your closest Devil acquaintances![/quote]
Not true. They’d be ambivalent at best. Devils don’t love betrayal or destruction for their own sake. They like souls, but the second half isn’t heartwarming, even to a [FL] Devil.
[/li][/quote]
@TheThirdPolice well I find it perfectly heartwarming so at least you can go to bed knowing that you pleased somebody.

I wish I could say thank you to the people touched by my misdeeds, but seriously y’ouse a bunch of messed up moth frosters.

I feel validated.

I appreciate the reference to how experienced i seem to you, but i’m really not that old. I’ve only been down here a year or two. thanks anyways!