A tale of near misses

I’m new to the joys of the Sunless Seas but familiar with its recurrent theme of disappointments and a carpricious RNG from Fallen London.

I had a beautifully charmed and cursed run to pursue the dark delights of my sigelled crew. All the tests succeeded and I was rewarded with more tantalising glimpses of madness and horror from the Chapel of Lights to Frost Found only to lose it all in an embarrassingly avoidable death by life berg when the game read my frenzied button press on full speed ahead for a needless repair!

Now my new captain can’t get a break on a 76% chance of success Pages test at the Chapel of Lights!

You hit R instead of F and the Lifeberg sunk you?
You do know that repairs can be cancelled and can only happen if the Hull is above 50%.

And you can probably ditch a Lifeberg by turning off your lights and getting away at top speed… unless it’s already charging at you.
edited by stylesrj on 4/3/2017

[quote=Marsha Glade]You hit R instead of F and the Lifeberg sunk you?
You do know that repairs can be cancelled and can only happen if the Hull is above 50%.

And you can probably ditch a Lifeberg by turning off your lights and getting away at top speed… unless it’s already charging at you.
edited by stylesrj on 4/3/2017[/quote]

The damned thing had me cornered. I’m playing on iPad so it was a proximity problem rather than a miss-key! Part of the problem was navigating in the dark got me stuck in an island’s nook so there was little chance to swing round and speed out.

I have now managed to retrace my steps (and studiously avoid Mt Nomad) and have the dubious honour of progressing a most unsavoury story line.

I wish there was more warning about when decisions will result in more cargo though, I’m having to dump so much. Need a bigger boat!

A side note, are lifebergs plated seals? They have the same image.

Nope. Lifebergs are b___dy icebergs that are alive (hate them so much).
Plated seals are simply seals with plates all over their body or something
Although, the idea of you dragging a whole lifeberg to Bishop through all the coils of Labyrinth is certainly entertaining one
edited by BlabberingMat on 4/4/2017

Nope. Lifebergs are b___dy icebergs that are alive (hate them so much).
Plated seals are simply seals with plates all over their body or something
Although, the idea of you dragging a whole lifeberg to Bishop through all the coils of Labyrinth is certainly entertaining one
edited by BlabberingMat on 4/4/2017[/quote]

They have the same image!

It is the sort of dumb thing my character would do with a wide eyed innocence and bloody minded determination.

&quotYou wanted a beast. HERE’S YOUR BEAST!&quot

What if a Plated Seal was hiding inside a Lifeberg like a protective shell?
Now that would be a beast to bring back.

Its taken a while but this game has really started to click. I felt genuinely nervous travelling back with no fuel, a handful of supplies and terror in the 90s only narrowly securing a 30% chance of averting mutiny on the outskirts of Fallen London.

Now if I can only find Irem and dump these annoying colonists!

I can’t remember which little island gives you a free Soothe & Copper box. Any ideas or is it just a random chance at the Tomb Colonies?

You can buy a S&C Box at the Shepherd Isles for a Hunting Trophy (when your days reach 50, which is when all those little exchange storylets appear). If you are lucky you can also get them exploring the Writhing Gullet in Nook.

As for Irem it always in the top right segment of the map.
edited by reveurciel on 4/6/2017

Excellent. Thank you. Once I’m rid of them I can go back to shifting stone to get some money in.

I was doing so well but a swarm of blue prophets ended my superb run. I made a tactical error in locking myself out of Khan’s Heart and having to fetch quest my way into getting clemency from Khan’s Glory. I also may have gotten myself into a bargain with Mr Sacks I couldn’t fulfil. I couldn’t deliver to poor Pignote Island which would have been the easier route.

Poor Captain Esmerelda. So much progress with my officers too all now lost to the zee.

Her sion awaits!