A Simple Query

This is my first Christmas in Fallen London, and so far I’m having a wonderful time. I just have one thing to ask, though: How does one pronounce &quotlacre&quot? Is it pronounced like lacquer? Something else? Is it an alien word that human mouths can only approximate? If so, have the Londoners ignored that and come up with their own pronunciation anyway?

I’ve always assumed it’s supposed to be pronounced like ‘lacrimosa’, but I say ‘lake-re’, because I can.

Word of the devs says its pronounced Lake-er, like the basketball team. I prefer lack-er myself though.

Word of ONE dev, specifically: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9647-a-guide-to-lacre.aspx?Page=1#post77675

I am in the “everyone else at Failbetter” camp, on the grounds of comparison to “lachrymose”.

I have pronounced, it in my head, ‘lack-er’. Then again I say grass and bath, with a short ‘a’, where others say grarse, and barth. I may have spent my childhood under the influence of a Northern wind though… I always find the ‘North’ references hilarious. If a route to ‘The North’ ever opens up in FL we will surely have to venture the Scylla of Watford Gap to know we are truly beyond hope or redemption![li]
edited by Snotra on 12/22/2015

Northerner high five!

Thanks everyone. I think I’ll go with the lachrymose-derived pronunciation.

Aah, text-based games. Where you can privately pronounce things however you want.

I have to agreed with with this - as in ‘Stabat mater dolorosa, juxta Crucem lacrimosa.’

• But I suppose I had thought of the final vowel as a schwa with stress falling on the a.

‘Lák-ruh’

‘Lak-er’ sounds so wrong to me!

[quote=myrese]Thanks everyone. I think I’ll go with the lachrymose-derived pronunciation.

Aah, text-based games. Where you can privately pronounce things however you want.[/quote]